Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case Lube

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
    Another user of "Bag Balm" here.

Dan
    Dam, no sht!

Been using bagbalm on livestock for 60 yrs. Has lanolin & is thick. good idea.

Boolit Mold
    I use JPW to size my brass. I use it like the tube of LEE sizing lube.

It's cheap and always on hand.

Boolit Buddy
    Another for mink oil- boot dressing works so nice I am happy to lube cases just smear your finger in it every few cases and rub them on the way to the press

Boolit Master

A buddy of mine talked me into trying lanolin and and alcohol in a spray bottle. It worked very well but I found I was paying a lot for lanolin in a small town. Sure,it lasts quite a while but mixing up the lanolin and alcohol required some heat as the lanolin I could get was thick whereas his was more of a liquid.

When I decided to do a very large run of resizing some .223 brass (more than 1000) I switched gears. I wasn't about to pad lube like my dad taught me say back when and I didn't have a spray lube/oil. Well, here goes . . .

I deprime all of my brass and wash with soapy water because I don't like handling dirty brass or getting grime in my dies. After drying, I put the brass in a plastic container with a very small amount of olive oil. After shaking around for a bit the brass is evenly coated. I've never had an issue with necks getting dented or brass getting stuck. Olive oil works very well for me.

After sizing, I wash the brass with warm soapy water (Dawn dish detergent) and then rewash with dawn and a squirt of lemon juice, and let stand for 5 or so minutes. After straining the brass (no rinsing) they cases go straight into the Lyman 1200 with ground walnut. After an hour they are shiny as new. Every 4 or 5 runs I put a table spoon of Turtle Zip Wash in the media. The Zip Wash has a small amount of wax in it which acts as a sealer that keeps the brass from oxidizing as quickly. Every 20 or so runs I wash the ground walnut in a zippered burlap sack and let dry in the sun. The walnut swells from getting wet and becomes course again but remains kind of dark in color. It's not that I'm too cheap to buy new media, I ran out once and it was 100 miles to the nearest pet store that sells ground walnut. I replace the media once a year or so and the old walnut gets used for bulk smelting.

Anyway, olive oil has been working well for me and the dish soap makes quick work of removing the oil. I did use some regular vegetable oil a couple of times but I generally use olive oil for cooking and so that's what I have on hand. You don't have to go to the extremes of re washing several times and using lemon juice (something I learned from this site) but I like how fast I can make the brass look like new. I've taken brass I've found that was almost black and made it shine like new.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

I purchased Anhydrous lanolin from my local pharmacy, then found it is much less expensive through industrial outlets.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Make sure it is Anhydrous lanolin, I mixed with methanol. I still have a 300 Weatherby die with seized case from dummie here using lanolin cream.........I've read that 91% rubbing alcohol works also, but my original recipe called for methanol, other alcohols may work just fine....Friend makes his own lube brew and seems he said he gets it from Amazon.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Love Life
    You can get Lanolin delivered to your door from member RandyRat. Good stuff and makes great case lube.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Anhydrous lanolin.

Ever wonder why sheep don't need lube?
    Wow. I don't know whether to think Jack Handey or Deliverance.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    STP works Great, get it at Wall Mart. I've even used it for mild case forming!
    I use STP thinned with kerosene on my lube pad. Tried it straight and it worked but was less messy when I thinned it.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Wow. I don't know whether to think Jack Handey or Deliverance.

Gear
    I will leave that entirely up to your imagination. Sometimes not knowing is worse than knowing.....

Boolit Mold
    STP and an office ink pad for 35+ years

I use liquid lanolin and 99% rubbing alcohol mixed into a spray bottle, works great.

Boolit Mold
    Bullshop Junior

I want to give the 2 stroke oil a try for case lube, can you recommend the brand that works for you?

I never have the same brand stuff laying around. I run a lot of 2 stroke toys, so when ever i see any at a desent price I buy it.

Boolit Master

I use a mix of 50% STP -50% light oil.
    I single load, so I wipe the cases after sizing and run them through the tumbler for a few to remove the remaining lube....dale

Banned

walmart, dupont dry-wax formula on a flat tshirt, spray and roll.

Three paragraphs below:

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubr...lubricant.html

Boolit Master

old cotton gym sock for a "pad"...then 3-in-one oil....been working for me for 50+ years.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    old cotton gym sock for a "pad"...then 3-in-one oil....been working for me for 50+ years.
    This one surprises me a bit. I wouldn't have thought a thin viscosity oil like 3 in 1 would have enough film strength to work as a case lube.

I'm a big fan of the pump spray lubes, but I prefer the Lee wax dissolved in alcohol over the lanolin lubes because it dries to a film. The lanolin leaves your brass sticky unless you wipe, wash or tumble after resizing.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Thanks so much! I have a couple of gallons of wire pulling lube in the garage. I had not even thought of that! That will get me through the weekend. I have a daughter-in-law that makes designer hand products. Ill see what she has in pure lanolin. I like the spray on application best. I can just spread them out on a tray and spray lube a bunch at a time. I thought I had an extra bottle in the cabinet but no. Thanks again DR
    "Wire pulling lube" is just KY jelly for wires!!!!!!!!!!!!

Works.

banger

On Heaven's Range

Since Bag Balm is a " cure all" for topical application, it should cure any accuracy problems caused by the cases.

Mr. Ed
    The only good cast boolit is the one that hits the target