Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Shoulder holster for SBH

Boolit Buddy

Shoulder holster for SBH

I like to take my SBH deer hunting as a tool of opportunity. I have my rifle with me, but if the right shot presented itself then I'd use the pistol. I have a drop loop belt/holster for it, but it bangs into everything....tree stand, rifle, anything. I was thinking a shoulder holster would put it in a much better position to protect it. Dosent have to be a quick draw thing. Is a shoulder holster a realistic solution for a 7.5" barrel?

Boolit Bub
    just got one for a 8 3/8 in s and w.it's a tanker shoulder holster made by el paso saddelry,quality is great and i'm real happy with it.only problem is it took 2 1/2 months to get because they are made to order and the oboma gun craze is still on even with holsters.i did have a safariland shoulder holster that worked real well for a sbh that i had but foolshilly traded it off with the gun.still kicking myself for that one!the shoulder holsters keep your gun from hitting everything and you can keep the gun covered by a coat to protect it from the weather.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was younger and tougher, I carried a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum with a 7 1/2" barrel in a shoulder holster, and had sore ribs most of the time.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Look at a chest rig also. They are very comfortable. I have two made by Diamond D Leather out of Alaska. I use them to carry my 7 1/2" SBH and 9 1/2" SRH
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    Look at a chest rig also. They are very comfortable. I have two made by Diamond D Leather out of Alaska. I use them to carry my 7 1/2" SBH and 9 1/2" SRH
    I am a big fan of Wes Daems chest rig. I have one for my 4 5/8" flat top. It works very well with a back pack. I was wearing it when I fell *** over tea kettle 500 vert on a ski trip in Utah. I did not lose the gun.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Bianchi that I picked up years ago in a LGS barrel for $5.00! It was made for the S&W with a 7.5" barrel but fits my SBH just fine. Both I and my best friend have worn it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

It isn't cheap but I'm really pleased with the Wyoming combination holster for my 7 1/2" FA. Very comfortable and it stays put.
    http://ringlercustomleather.com/id59.html

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    It isn't cheap but I'm really pleased with the Wyoming combination holster for my 7 1/2" FA. Very comfortable and it stays put.
    http://ringlercustomleather.com/id59.html
    X2 on the WyoCombo. There is a link on Ringlers page to a writeup I did when I got mine a few years ago. I've used it quite bit since then and it's a great rig.

Boolit Master
    For a long barreled handgun, a cross chest design, PROPERLY made is the best way to go.
    Many good makers out there.
    Personally, I have one on order from www.barrantileather.com
    Doc is one of the finest craftsmen you'll see in leather. His work isn't cheap, but I wore one of his NW Hunter rigs a few years ago. The most comfortable cross chest I've ever had on. And I already own two others.
    If you want a shuck to ride the river with,, Mike Barranti is the man to see. I currently have 2 of his hip holsters & will buy more when I can.

I use the uncle mikes bandolier...

Better check these out before you buy anything... I use something like it for years as a fishing guide in alaska.. Keeps the gun accessable, confortable, safe, and out of the way...
    http://grizzlytuff.com/products

Attachment 88414
    Alaskan
    Last edited by AlaskanGuy; 11-23-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Uncle Mike's SH that I have carried my FlatTop 44 Special in from time to time. It's Okay, but not real comfortable when I'm doing chores. I usually don't use it. I'd like to try one of those chest models, though.

Only problem with chest holsters is you cannot pack binos and they get in the way of my fly vest.

I pack binos all the time with mine... And routinely carry mine under my fishing vest.... The best thing about it is, it stays close to me, and when i accidentally step into a hole while wading around in the river, unless it is over my chest, my gun stays dry. Been many times a hip holster would have been completely under water. And when i bend over to unhook or clean a fish, the gun stays put. I virtually live in the holster as a fishing guide for as much as 20 hours a day during the season, and it never rubs me the wrong way. You wont be sorry with that holster.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    Better check these out before you buy anything... I use something like it for years as a fishing guide in alaska.. Keeps the gun accessable, confortable, safe, and out of the way...
    http://grizzlytuff.com/products

Attachment 88414
    Alaskan
    WOW even upside down it wont fall out.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    +1 for the Diamond D Holsters Guides Choice. http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master

I have an old Bianchi ex. large that I carry mine in. It works pretty good. It will come out of it if you have a hard fall. I see them for sale all the time on Fbay.

My only issue with the diamond d chest holster, is the weather, and it carries a bit low... Leather would never handle the weather that we get here, and it is stiff... They nylon version handles the weather well, and never gets soggy, and i dont have to wait for long times drying it out.... The nylon just handles he weather better.... If i lived in the desert, i would prolly still use the nylon, cuz it is softer and doesnt stiffen and cause holster marks.... But this is just me.... Different strokes for different folks...

AG

I use a Bianchi X15 with my SBH; works very well.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson