Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new ride

Boolit Master

my new ride

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grom.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	85371 Honda grom 125 cc's of power. 130 mpg....58 mph with my fat butt on it. Before I am slammed for riding this.....I have ridden bikes for 39 years. I have drag raced gsxr's and have a custom 1990 gsxr with a 1200 bandit engine that goes like a rocket... I have a totally custom built up street legal Honda zb clone that does over 80mph.. THIS is a FUN bike!!! Fuel injected.. I wonder what it would do with a turbo and a big bore kit.......

Interesting, how much does it weigh?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    225 lbs fully loaded with fluids.

What Diameter are the wheels and tires? Trying to get an idea how big this thing is? Is it like a Pit Bike or is it more like a Pocket bike?

I haven't seen any pocket racers with 125 cc engines. most are only 50 cc's.

I need more information.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Ha, found it.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx
    Specifications
    ENGINE
    Engine Type 124.9cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
    Bore And Stroke 52.4mm x 57.9mm
    Compression Ratio 9.3:1
    Induction PGM-FI with automatic enrichment
    Ignition Electronic
    Valve Train SOHC; two valves per cylinder
    DRIVE TRAIN
    Transmission Four-speed
    Final Drive Chain
    CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
    Front Suspension 31mm inverted fork; 3.9 inches travel
    Rear Suspension Single shock with steel box-section swingarm; 4.1 inches travel
    Front Brake Single 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper
    Rear Brake Single 190mm disc with hydraulic single piston caliper
    Front Tire 120/70-12
    Rear Tire 130/70-12
    DIMENSIONS
    Rake 25°
    Trail 81mm (3.2 inches)
    Wheelbase 47.2 inches
    Seat Height 29.7 inches
    Fuel Capacity 1.45 gallons
    Curb Weight 225 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride)
    OTHER
    Model Id Grom125
    Emissions Meets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.
    Available Colors Metallic Black, Pearl Red

http://www.gromforum.com/
    Last edited by Artful; 10-26-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Looks good for getting around town cheap! The trunk is kind of small though.

Does it need a plate/insurance? what's the cost?

Boolit Master

So, it's a step up from a scooter. I could see that size being popular in Europe. Last time I was over there, it seemed like everyone had a scooter since there was no place to park on the streets and the scooters could hop the curbs and park on the sidewalk.

I owned a Yamaha Enduro 175 back in the late 1970s before I moved up to street bikes. Even though I just used it around town, if an 18-wheeler passed you, it blew you all over the road. If there was any headwind, you would be lucky to get up to 55 mph. I don't think I could go for a bike this small unless it was for some sort of specialized use like trying to put it in the back of a plane on on a boat for when you're sailing the Caribbean. The dirt bike I have these days is Yamaha TTR250 and that's about as small of a bike as I want to be on. My small street bike is a Kawasaki ZX600E ("Ninja 600"). Compared to my Harley, it's a very light bike.
    Last edited by grumman581; 10-27-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Does it need a plate/insurance? what's the cost?
    If you want to ride on the road in AZ it needs plate/insurance...

$3K or whatever the stealership can get out of you.
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ou-buy-it.aspx
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    My cost out the door with tax title and license was $3214. Insurance for the year is like $47. The bike isn't broken in yet but I went 94 miles and refilled the tank...It cost $2.68....heheheheh

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    What Diameter are the wheels and tires? Trying to get an idea how big this thing is? Is it like a Pit Bike or is it more like a Pocket bike?

I haven't seen any pocket racers with 125 cc engines. most are only 50 cc's.

I need more information.

Randy
    12" wheels. The engine is based on the old Honda 50-70's but upgraded. I THINK it is a Honda wave engine actually. My street legal pitbike is 146 cc's built to the gills. Honda nsr 110 wheels-High compression piston-big valve head-etcetcetc. The grom is midsized and very fun to buzz around town.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by arjacobson View Post
    225 lbs fully loaded with fluids.
    Me too! What a coincidence!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    hehehe.. NO the bike...LOL

Kinda small for me. I'm 6'9" and my Suzuki DR200 four stroke was as small as I would want. That was a good bike though. 6 speed and topped out it would do about 75-80. I rode the **** out of that bike litterally. I could run it to town (I took the mirrors and all that off and just drove it off-road) witch was close to 80 miles round trip for about $4. I ended up blowin it up trying to take it through some mud thy was deeper them the bike was tall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arjacobson View Post
    My cost out the door with tax title and license was $3214. Insurance for the year is like $47. The bike isn't broken in yet but I went 94 miles and refilled the tank...It cost $2.68....heheheheh
    Having driven across country on a Kawasaki 750cc bike that pretty much required you to aggressively start looking for a gas station at the 100 mile point, I can definitely say that it is NOT a fun way to go (even though it at least could get up to highway speeds).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Kinda small for me. I'm 6'9" and my Suzuki DR200 four stroke was as small as I would want. That was a good bike though. 6 speed and topped out it would do about 75-80. I rode the **** out of that bike litterally. I could run it to town (I took the mirrors and all that off and just drove it off-road) witch was close to 80 miles round trip for about $4. I ended up blowin it up trying to take it through some mud thy was deeper them the bike was tall.
    You would have no problem with my Yamaha TTR250 then. When I ride it on the street, I have to hang off one side when I stop in order for a foot to be able to touch the ground. If I have my full weight on the seat, the springs compress enough that my toes can touch the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    You would have no problem with my Yamaha TTR250 then. When I ride it on the street, I have to hang off one side when I stop in order for a foot to be able to touch the ground. If I have my full weight on the seat, the springs compress enough that my toes can touch the ground.
    I have actually looked at a few of the newer Yamaha bikes, and like the YZ250F. It's the tallest bike they make and i still have no problems touching the ground. But I'm kinda broke for the 6000 something price tag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I have actually looked at a few of the newer Yamaha bikes, and like the YZ250F. It's the tallest bike they make and i still have no problems touching the ground. But I'm kinda broke for the 6000 something price tag.
    What about the YZ400? I think the seat height is 38.5"

There's just not that many people who are your height (6'9"), so it's quite possible that none of the motorcycle manufacturers are going to make one that large since the potential market is rather small.
    Last edited by grumman581; 10-27-2013 at 01:17 AM.

I'm not a huge fan of the 400/450. I took a 450 over backwards trying to show off to a hot chick on the school bus when I was about 16. 250 is still pleanty to hurt myself on.

The engine looks like the CT90/110/125 engine. The bike looks like a smaller Super Motad bike. I just talked to one of my lifelong motorcycle buddies and he said there is a waiting list a mile long here in CA for the GROM. Everybody wants one.

Leave it to Honda to come up with something like this and you can bet Yamaha and Suzuki and Kawasaki already have similar bikes in the works.

The motor is from the Super 90 family with FI and Electric Start. I have a 1968 CT 90 that came as a bonus with my wife when I got her.

Many people don't realize that the CT 90 and it's variants are the most produced transportation machines in history. Numbers are well over 20 million produced, surpassing even the VW Bug and the model T. Except for displacement and exterior upgrades the engine is essentially unchanged thruout the entire history of the machine.

The Z50 and CT70 engines were a smaller variant based on the S65 engine. The hotrod thing to do to a Z50, if you can afford one, is to replace the head barrel and piston with an S65 top end which immediately increases the power from 2 hp. to 6.5hp. This is a big jump for a mini bike.

My first real job was as a mechanic at Honda Ventura in 1968-9.

You done good!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast