Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to cut this lead

Boolit Buddy
    I use a cordless circular saw with carbide blade. 1/2" thick will be easy.

Boolit Master

I've used a hacksaw many times to cut lead pipe & various pieces of Pb. Works good. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Circular saw with a coarse carbide blade.
    "We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

Boolit Master
    This would be an excellent excuse to get a bigger pot.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I'd crowbar up a corner, slide a muffin tin on a cookie sheet under the end (while leaving it supported so as not to crush the tin), and blast it with my weed burner. A lot will go into the tin, making nice ingots, the remaining will run off on to the cookie sheet and shoot be thin enough to fold over and put in the pot, or else re-melt later.

I don't like sawing lead. I don't have lead poisoning and would prefer to keep it that way, and lots of lead dust in the air would worry me. With a proper respirator it would be fine.

I just grab my saws-all and get-er-done.. Takes just a min or 2 that way... I would just put a small block of wood under it and leave it right in the back of the truck. When your done, just sweep out the back of the truck into a bucket, and presto, manageable.

Boolit Master
    If it is soft, just use an ax and be done with it.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Buddy
    Saws-all or propane torch of one kind or another. Method is dependant upon the configuration of the lead and your truck. If you can get the sheet sticking out of the truck, put a tarp underneath it and use a saws-all or similar saw with a coarse blade. If you can melt it without "melting" your truck, put some sort of metal container under the lead and melt off chunks the size you want. Saws-all will be faster and less of a mess.

Boolit Buddy

Finished melting a 1673 lb. sail boat ingot last week. Used my oxy-act torch with a large rosebud to melt a notch on each side of the ingot and used a chain fall to hang from the ceiling joist in my barn made a 15" dia smelting pot x 7" deep from a piece of pipe from the scrapyard. Welded four angle iron legs on it and used my Harbor freight weed burner to melt into my pipe smelting pot. That pot would hold about 500 lbs but I only melted a couple hundred lbs at a time. Takes a long time to melt that much lead. Poured into 2" channel iron ingots about 6" lg. They average weighing 7 to 7.5 lbs. Wore me out just picking them up and stacking as they cooled down.They check about 13bnh using the pencil test. Lifetime supply. That weed burner will do the job.
    Last edited by owejia; 11-12-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I would use a corded reciprocating saw, and try using blades with different teeth. Also, vary the cutting speed. Save the shavings, if you can. I think it would be too strenuous to use an ax to chop a chunk of lead that thick.

Banned
    I'm going to try a reciprocating saw, sawsall, axe and when I get pieces small enough to handle a wood splitter. Hack saw and hammer, and chisel is to much work.
    Chainsaw and reciprocating saw wondering how fast it will dull?
    I'll report back with the results.
    Thanks for all the ideas.

Perma-Banned

Considering it is only a 1/2 inch thick just whack it with an axe you will make short work of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Where in the world did you find a piece of lead 1/2" X 12" X 15 FEET long, what was it used for and how did you get it home?????? Almost a case of " too much of a good thing".

Banned
    I got it at a scrap yard. This place is the higest priced around but the guy misquoted me the price at .75 a lb, I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough. I was in a roll and loaded it with a fork lift and I used a tractor wit a loader to lift it out.
    I do not know what it was use for but I KNOW what it WILL be used for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Id use a torch & melt it in half. Then use a sledge hammer to fold up & compress those 2 big chunks so I could melt each half separately in my pot.
    Goodness - my dutch oven wouldn't handle a 220-lb chunk of Pb...

My recommendation is a Sawzall, with a coarse blade, and paper underneath to catch the chips.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned
    Just starting out here and using a HF cast iron pot.
    I'm thinking about a larger pot, maybe out of a lg dia pipe or a propane cylinder so I can melt more at a time.Maybe even making a bottom pour pot?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastfire View Post
    I have a piece of soft lead 1/2 thick 12"wide and about 15ft long.
    How do I cut small enough pieces to put in my cast iron pot to make into ingots?
    You need to buy my Tactical Grade Lead Strip Cutter. Only $349.95 plus shipping.

dale in Louisiana
    (well, I don't actually make one, but if there's a market...)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I don't like sawing lead. I don't have lead poisoning and would prefer to keep it that way, and lots of lead dust in the air would worry me. With a proper respirator it would be fine.
    Dust? There would be no dust, nothing but chips of varying sizes but dust, no. It would be wise to not eat the chips.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Sawz All. Be glad it's only 1/2" thick. I picked up about 20 "bars" that were over 2" thick, they took some serious elbow grease.

Banned
    OK IT'S DONE.
    First I tried the sawsall it took 1m 40sec to cut 1 pass using a coarse blade.
    Next the circular saw with a coarse blade 1 pass took 4-5 sec, didn't try anything anther way.
    The circular saw IS defiantly the way to go.
    Thanks for all the sugestions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast