Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

NG checkin' in. Nice place you have here, looking forward to it. I'm new to this, though I've been a shooter for several decades. Thanks for being here.
    Last edited by fishhawk; 12-30-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Hello

Howdy all,

Slingshot here checking in. Nice to "meet" you all. A wealth of knowledge here and a fun bunch of people. Thanks to all that have purchased stuff on my selling post, I am packing stuff as the requests come in. This will help fund my 45/70 Sharps Replica that the wife won't let me buy with "our" money I wonder what she means by "our" money LOL.

Slingshot

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Hello

Hi to all
    Just found this site today while searching for sutff. WOW! I have found more info in 10 minutes than I have in the last 2 years. Thanks to all who keep it running

Boolit Bub
    There was a higher power that forced me to join the roster.
    A fine group of intelligent people who show a can-do attitude and Get r dun!
    1 of our rptrs gathered a Mosin Nagant.
    It felt very strange buying factory made ammo.
    With the exception of 9mm and 12g an 22lr's I haven't done that in many, many years.
    I don't like it.
    New goal is to cast boolits for the 91/30 and send 'em downrange from a berdan case.
    Will also work on .30 cal subsonic loads.
    Plenty to read abot and research.
    Hopefully I can contribute, one day.
    Thank you 45nut.
    3rptr

Boolit Master

Thanks for the invite 45 nut i joined recently did not take long to see this site is full of good info and good people !!!

Boolit Mold
    OK, I'll come out of hiding.......

First off, 45nut THANK YOU for providing the incredible website for casters. I've been lurking and not posting simply because there is so much to read and absorb that I don't have a single thing to add at this point.

I was bitten by the casting bug a few years back and bought everything I need to get going. Then life and it's distractions killed all of my forward momentum so my gear has been gathering dust. This forum has rekindled my interest, and I intend to start making boolits in the next week or so. I've got zero casting experience so I may have a question or two, but I've already learned a LOT while lurking here, so I'll try not to ask old questions.

Anyway, hello from Eastern Oregon.

Plain Base

Boolit Mold
    I have read on here for a month or so, and i think it's time i said thanks. There is so much excellent information on here. Just started casting a week ago, and thanks to the info on here my first batch came out excellent. (LEE 105gr SWC for a 686)
    Last edited by Thomas_K; 01-28-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Been lurking here for some time and finally decided to join. There is a LOT of very good information here (but you knew that already), and I have learned a lot. I started casting many years ago with the little lead toy soldiers (wish I still had those molds). After casting fishing lures for some years, I moved into casting for my .44 cap & ball revolver, then 45 ACP. I am now just starting to try my hand at rifle (308).

Thank you all for everything you have taught me and are teaching me.

Ky Camper?

I won't ask but thanks for the grin and welcom!!!

A shout out to Mr Morris in Seattle.... GIT IN HERE!!!

Rascal started me on this path too many years ago when I whined about the cost fo IHMSA competition quantity rounds....
    While I remain Texas born and bred, he's become an...er.... "left coaster" by job, but not by shootin' intent....
    Turned him on to the site last week and I'm sure he'll be official here soon..............
    Pablo

Boolit Bub
    Ky Camper?

I won't ask but thanks for the grin and welcom
    !!!

No big deal. I own a campground in Kentucky, so KY_Camper.

Thanks for the welcome!

Boolit Mold
    Been lurking for a while so I figured I jump in with both feet. The water is a little too warm though, I think someone's been peeing in the pool.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by KY_Camper View Post
    Been lurking here for some time and finally decided to join. There is a LOT of very good information here (but you knew that already), and I have learned a lot. I started casting many years ago with the little lead toy soldiers (wish I still had those molds). After casting fishing lures for some years, I moved into casting for my .44 cap & ball revolver, then 45 ACP. I am now just starting to try my hand at rifle (308).

Thank you all for everything you have taught me and are teaching me.

Welcome aboard. A friend had a hilarious story about getting his Class A into a campsite at Rabbit Hash last summer. I hope it was your place!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Waksupi,
    It wasn't my place. Rabbit Hash is up close to Cincinnati. I'm just outside Mammoth Cave National Park, about 90 miles north of Nashville.

Watching some of those class As can be very interesting. There is a very wide range of driving abilities out there! There are also some very tight RV Parks!

Boolit Mold
    OK, can't keep quiet any longer,I cast my first boolets this morning!
    Some are good enough to shoot and it was all fun.

I credit lurking here for my 1st try success, You folks have taken me through setting up my loading gear, shooting glue stick boolits, shooting .22boolits in a .30 cal rifle with pistol powder to now making new boolits from my own range scrap!!! Thank you all!!

All the answers were here waiting for me to soak it up, again, Thank you.
    Lamar in Alabama

Moderator Emeritus

Old "Retread" Checking In...

Hello, I'm a 61 year old machinist. I have been reloading since the early 60s. I started casting shortly after I returned home from the Marines in the early 70s. I shot IPSC competition with the 1911 and the NRA Highpower match with an M1 Garand and S.A. M1-A in those days.

Sometime in the early 90s, I stopped casting and started using "j-word" bullets in my rifles and store bought H&G 68s in my 1911s. I can't remember why I stopped but I kept all of my casting equipment and several hundred pounds of WW already smelted into ingots.

After considering today's political climate, my New Years resolution this year was:

1) To continue buying cases of loaded ammo to enlarge my "stash".

2) Start casting my boolits again and not use any more of my "stash" ammo for practice.

To that end, I cast 1288 beautiful .30 caliber bullets last weekend from WW. I had forgotten what a thrill it is to open that mold and watch the shiny bullets tumble out! I'm hooked again!

I probably won't post much, but I will be regular reader of this excellent forum.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome aboard Treetop!

Don't be bashful. A fella with all of those years experience can probably help most any of us.

I took my brother to get a set of tires today (he left his car at the dealer) and while there I hit the dealer up for some wheelweights. In addition to the rather small amount i picked up today, the dealer (whom I have dealt with for a long time) agreed to save all of his WW's for me. Here's hopin'!!

Dale53

Moderator Emeritus

Nice score Dale 53! One of the differences that I've noticed since my "return to the fold" is that used WWs are harder to buy now and quite a bit more expensive. Several tire shops in my area have recently told me that they are not allowed to sell used WWs to anyone but a "licensed" re-cycler. What's up with that? I was able to eventually buy about 300# total from several small shops in the area.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master

I suspect, that with the precipitous drop in lead prices, that wheelweights are going to be more available to the "likes of us" until and if the industry changes over to steel ones. I would recommend that you folks who have been discouraged of late might want to check around some more.

Dale53

Super Moderator

Wanted to add my welcome to all the folks that have decided to participate instead of LURK as that gives me that crawly feeling between the shoulder blades, ya know?

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Wanted to add my welcome to all the folks that have decided to participate instead of LURK as that gives me that crawly feeling between the shoulder blades, ya know?

..............Buckshot
    Sorry, Buckshot, at least I didn't lurk very long...
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast