MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Hey, there, pincherpartner, welcome aboard! Quite a handle ya got there, too!

I'm glad to hear that you have taken over the equipment no longer used by a family member. Recycling like that is good, as well as recycling lead wheel weights into boolits.

We'll be glad to listen to anything you have to pass on about casting, or anything else for that matter.

Glad to hear you are confident that you can turn out stuff that is shootable, I was in your shoes at one time, too! Still am, I guess, come to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pincherpartner View Post
    Howdy,
    Just recently decided to change from a lurker to member when there was some information I could pass along.

I recieved an Ideal/Lyman 45 lubrisizer, an old Lee pot, and 9 sets of Lyman molds with more than a few pounds of lead and unknown alloy a few months ago from a family member who hadn't used it in years. This site and the the LA Silhouette Club site have just been invaluable helping me to get started.

At first I was really hesitant to get started, but with all of the information you have it made me confident that I could turn out something shootable and most importantly not poison the family. Although I will say I prefer casting to sizing.

Thanks for all of your help!
    Ron

rl393
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Newer member but never introduced myself. Started shooting about a year and a half ago, began reloading late this winter, and just beginning to cast. Been collecting lead for a couple of months and the first smelt is scheduled for Sunday. I've got about 8 gallons of lead in buckets. Most is lead from a private range. Some WW and a little plumbing lead. Been learning a little while reading over the past few days.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

Boolit Grand Master

Pitmaster;
    Welcome to the club! Glad to see a relatively new shooter enjoying reloading and casting. It is a lifetime sport.

Dale53

Boolit Man
    I have been lurking for a while and gleaned lots of helpful info over the months. I credit this forum for keeping my wallet thin, as I keep getting new to me ideas that on the surface should save me money but in the end cost me cuz I need a new gun or equipment to test the ideas. At any rate it has been fun and very informative to look in.
    coyotebait

Lurker turned Member

Hi!

I admit I have been lurking a while but I think now it is time to stop snooping around!

I bought a 50 cal in-line this year and want to start casting for it. I have a source for lead (wheel weights) and am interested in trying my hand in casting.

I also shoot lead out of my S&W 327 Miculek in competition and would like to start casting 158gr round nose bullets for it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have lots of experience with traditional muzzle loaders but have no experience with the inlines. They do look pretty dern efficient, tho". I would think a good WFN cast boolit would work fine in the sabot's.

Lee makes a dandy six cavity mould for their 158 gr RF (round flat) that I believe will work well with speed loaders and full moon clips. I have that mould but have not run it with speed loaders (as yet).

Glad you have "joined the club" and a hearty welcome to you.

Dale53

Boolit Master

Greetings fellow shooters and casters.

I would like to start off with thanking the honorable Mr. 45nut for this very enjoyable and informative site. Thank you Sir. And thank you to all of the many members who have shared so much of their personal information with me. I am mostly a reader and gatherer, not much into the posting. (am a hunt and peck typer) Anyway, have hunted and shot most of my life, grew up on a farm, retired from the A.F., reloaded since 1987, started casting this year. Love it and wish I would have started 20 years ago.

Hello everyone. I have been lurking here for a while and recently joined. I have a decent amount of knowledge in reloading factory bullets but fairly new to casting boolits and feel this is THE site to learn what I can and to ask what I dont know without feeling embarrased. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their wealth of knowledge shared here because I need every little bit of help I can get with my new found love. Thanks again, Mike B.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

well being new to the site i must say it is a fine source of info.........
    with many extreemly helpfull people ..

Boolit Mold
    Decided to come out of the shadows. Greetings everyone!
    Been shooting for ~37 years, reloading for 30 including running a commercial reloading operation, casting for 2 - black powder balls only.
    About to take a leap to real boolit casting, and will be asking for advise and handholding.
    LT
    Last edited by Linear Thinker; 11-07-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

LT;
    Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here.

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    OK, you caught me.

I have been shooting for about 40 years.

Currently shooting USPSA matches and just for fun.

Casting for about 10 years.

Great information found here.

Thanks
    Dave

Boolit Mold
    Hey guys, thank you for all the knowledge that I have gained over the last few weeks of reading. I have only been reloading for a couple of years and really enjoy it and have found a complete new love with this casting. I didn't think it could get any better but it did. I try to encourage everyone who shoots a lot to reload now its followed by casting also. Its funny how I find my self reading this forum more than any other shooting and reloading forums. Thanks for the read guys. Every time I have a bad day on the golf course I say to myself, dang that green fee could have been another mold. Its such a great hobby casting your own.

Boolit Bub
    Hi all,
    Just getting back into casting. Been about 20 years since last casting. I just ordered a 35 mold from Ranch Dog. Looking forward to using these in the Marlin.
    I see that there is a wealth of knowledge here and I'm looking forward to learning more.
    Jim

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Welcome to all the new members. It's good to have new blood.

For your browsing ease, I suggest you click on the "Today" link on the top of the page. This will show you the posts since your last visit, within the past day.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I've been a member here for some time, but do much more lurking, reading & researching than posting - this is only post #3. Over the past forty years or so, I've easily cast a couple hundred million pounds of lead...

... working several years at an ASARCO lead smelter casting ten ton ingots ten at a time helped out a lot with that total! I've cast bullets for the same forty plus years though, and currently have 66 moulds in my inventory, ranging from a 45 grain .32 cal round ball to a 700 grain bore rider GC .500 S&W mag design custom cut for me by Dan Lynch of Mountain Molds in Idaho. I've also tried my hand at cutting my own moulds on a 4' JET lathe with fairly decent results. I use a pair of RCBS Pro Melt furnaces with a Lyman ten pounder as a backup, and shoot almost every day on my own range which consists of a three stage CAS range, a couple of foot tripped clay traps, and target butts at 7 yards, 25 yards, 35 yards, 50 yards, 75 yards, 100 yards, 250 yards, 300 yards, and 500 yards. I've got sufficient room for a thousand yard range, but just haven't got around to clearing a few trees and lasing it off yet. A 25 yard indoor range in one of the out buildings is also in the back of my head, and possibly a hundred yard underground range someday.

I'm semi-retired and spend my time Cowboy Action Shooting with my youngest daughter, and managing a few hundred acres here outside of Helena, Montana and another little 600 acre spread just out of Colton, Washington.

Time to step out of the shadows and say "Hello!" Been reading and learning but have much more to learn than to teach, so this is my first post. Just started feeling creepy, being here but not really "being here".

Anyway, thanks for all the information. I am thinking seriously about starting to cast - been reloading almost 40 years, including loading cast lead bullets - bought, not ones I cast - and it is time to get with the program.

I do use the search function a lot (and get sidetracked, but that is ok, I'm learning something even if it is not what I set out to find out). Will limit questions to topics where the search function does not find what I need to know, so y'all may not hear from me for a while. Anyway, just sayin' "hi". Thanks.

Regards,
    Andrew

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to all. You'll find this a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

Dale53

Good Day Gents,

I have been lurking around this site for last 3 months and today I finally decided to take the plunge and become a member.

A brief history:
    I have been an avid shooter and hunter for 30-some odd years, have been reloading for the last 10 years and have been interested in casting boolits for a few years.

My best shootin' bud Travas had peaked my curiousity with stories about his grandfather.
    Trav's grandpappy is REAL "old-school" Nevada; raised in the country, went off to W.W. II, came back and bought himself a piece of property way out in the boonies, casts his own CBs, reloads his own ammo, lives close to the Earth. Heck, he never leaves the house without his old Colt .45 hogleg stoked full of Keith-style CBs.

A couple of years ago Trav and I decided to look around locally and start purchasing some casting gear. We made some smoking deals and then the stuff just sat in our respective garages, sometimes life can interrupt our avocations.

Well this year we took an inventory of our gear and decided that the time was right.
    We have noticed the steady (almost daily) increase in ammo/reloading components and the lack of availability of cost-effective practice ammo. Along with these elements we have our concerns regarding our pending political climate and how it will impact avid shooters like us.

Beyond this, I have found myself in a situation where I am unemployed.
    So we have decided that while I am looking for work during the week, I can also spend a little time casting for our particular "co-op". During the weekends it is a team effort.

We have all that is required including our RCBS Pro-Melt, several dies for our .45s, .40/10mms and .30 cal rifles, etc. We were also very fortunate by having an inside guy at the local Big-O Tires, a fifth of Jack Daniels netted us over 400lbs. of wheel weights (reminds me of my active-duty days)

Besides the WWs we also had 150lbs. of linotype donated by Trav's grandpappy.
    We are good to go! I have been casting steadily for the last month and a half and we have accumulated untold hundreds of 230gr LRN & TC .45s, 155gr. & 173gr. 30-cal. boolits and a whole mess of 175gr. 40/10mm TCs.

I really wanted to give a big "THANK YOU" to all of the members of this site.
    Anytime I'd hit a speedbump with my casting I would just lurk around here and find out what I was doing wrong.

In particular I wanted to say thanks to Mr. Beagle for his articles on LEE molds and their idiosyncrasies...I am telling you I was having one helluva a time with that C312-155-2R until I "beagled" it! Now those 155-grainers are coming out real pretty!

Well, that's all for now...my mold and pot are at the right temp. and I gotta go throw some lead around!

Kind Regards,

G

Brand spankin' new here. I've spent the past couple of days reading as I recover from some heart issues. Pretty neat stuff and a far more diverse activity than I imagined. I need to get my mitts on a Lyman manual and read some more on the process as some of the posts just aren't making sense to my ignorant mind. If there is any disadvantage to using the current edition of the Lyman manual please let me know. I've also been told taht Lee's second edition of "Modern Reloading" is a good bet. Any takers on that one?

Catch ya later,
    Chiz

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast