Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Master
    Hi guys...Stumbled across the site looking for something??? Tons of good info here, a great resource for peoples trials and errors with different molds, lead, techniques etc etc.. Started casting again for .357 and 44 due to the high cost of jacketed projectiles. I won't have much to add, but will gather a lot from all your past experiences. I have a Vaquero and a Win. 94 45LC on "approval" right now, so if I can get them bought right, I be pouring for 45s also shortly, which will mean searching for mold info on that cal. Thanks.

Hello, I'm a former lurker as well but finally bit the boolit and signed up! I'm located in central KY and have been reloading for a while but am new to casting, well sort of. I'm a dental technician and also make jewelry so cast gold and silver alloys almost daily but am new to this.

Anyway I knew I would get into making my own as I've been collecting metal for some time, from begging the local tire shops for old wheel weights to finding recovered projectiles at my local range. My intended uses are fodder for my .357 and .44 revolvers, as well as hunting loads for a pair of stainless Marlins in 44 magnum and 45/70.

While I don't have any casting equipment yet, I have access to a Lee bottom pour furnace and just sold a rifle to finance this new endeavor. I'm thinking of buying the Lyman master casting kit and a pair of molds for starters, and plan to get a dutch oven and an extra ingot mold for smelting raw stock.

Is it feasible to use a Coleman gas camping stove as a heat source until I can get a turkey fryer? I hunt wild turkeys and need one of those anyway but want to keep it as simple (and reasonably cheap) as possible.

Anyway I hope to have everything up and running ASAP as I'm starting dental school in August and want to cast enough boolets to last a while before things get too hectic schedule-wise. Do you guys have any suggestions for a noob like me?

Moderator Emeritus
    Hi Kingstrider

Welcome aboard mate.

Many thanks for the post.

Yes a primus type is fine to get started, trick is to keep it simple and don't let the gadgeteers blind you.

Once you cast a few you'll start having views and opinions of your own.

'Till then read, ask, cast and don't spend a lot 'till you know what suits you.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Mold

My name is Mike and I'm a former Lurker.

Hi All,

I've been reading here for about two years now and I think I have gained access to a couple of lifetimes full of knowledge. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all of the help you unknowing give to many more like me.

Moshannon (Mike)
    NRA, ASSRA

Boolit Grand Master

Mike;
    Glad to have you aboard. Don't be afraid to chime in when you have something to share. It is amazing how people who haven't reloaded very long at all can bring a new perspective to the discussion. I have learned a good bit from people I am teaching how to reload. Sometimes we forget just how it was to be new at something...

Dale53

Just a quick hi and thanks for all the info you guys provide, as a novice caster and reloader your knowledge is invaluable.
    Any one thought about compiling all your data and writing a book? I suppose it wouldnt actually be a book more like an encyclopedia.
    thanks again.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgemeister View Post
    Just a quick hi and thanks for all the info you guys provide, as a novice caster and reloader your knowledge is invaluable.
    Any one thought about compiling all your data and writing a book? I suppose it wouldnt actually be a book more like an encyclopedia.
    thanks again.

Welcome aboard!

Many of us have printed out topics over the years. When we were still on the old Shooters board, I ended up with a stack of paper 6" thick. I then came to realise, I would probably not be able to find the info I was looking for at any given time, and there was always more good info emerging! It would be like having several sets of encyclopedias around, and would necessitate building more book shelves!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sledgemeister View Post
    thanks again.
    I keep a couple of cd's full of articles and posts. I am now reserving paper just for interesting loads. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Joe Brennan should be jumping in here. He has compiled just such a book, with the help of many, and it is available for a very low cost (get the book and the CD).

I am away from home for a week (my son, the Colonel, is "Mustering Out" after his twenty years in the U.S. Army - the last several years a Medical Officer in Special Forces), so I cannot give you a link to Joe and the book. It IS worthwhile and answers many questions for the new and experienced alike. There is even information in there to argue about (something for everyone).

Anyone with this information at hand, feel free to chime in.

Dale53

Boolit Bub
    The first addition can be obtained for the price of membership in the Cast Bullet Association. I highly recommend joing that organization. A much more comprehensive second edition is available for free at this site:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/

or for purchase. You will see that the free version is a new file fo each chapter. A little unwieldy.

Boolit Mold
    Hi All,
    New to the forum, actually, I was advised to check out this site, when I was looking for casting info on one of my other sites, Handgun Hunter Magazine.
    Wanted to get into casting for a while now, (lol, just cheap I guess!) and lurked for a few visits.
    Mainly just wanted to learn what I knew I didn't know, before I joined, and started asking silly new guy questions!
    Finally decided just to take the plunge.
    Many thanks to those responsible for a very good site!

Super Moderator

............Welcomes upon you Kritter, and thanks for taking the plunge. There's more here then boolit casting, and one of the best is that I think we have some of the neatest people around.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy,
    I'm new to the forum and I like what I see!
    I'm glad to see there are so many other "aflicted souls" just like me! I love the reloading scene, but I've got away from it for a few years due to family matters. That will change in the next few months! I'm baaaaaack!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    Howdy,
    I'm new to the forum and I like what I see!
    I'm glad to see there are so many other "aflicted souls" just like me! I love the reloading scene, but I've got away from it for a few years due to family matters. That will change in the next few months! I'm baaaaaack!
    ............Heck, we wondered where ya'd been. Didn't we boys Seriously though, welcome aboard.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Howdy,
    Just recently decided to change from a lurker to member when there was some information I could pass along.

I recieved an Ideal/Lyman 45 lubrisizer, an old Lee pot, and 9 sets of Lyman molds with more than a few pounds of lead and unknown alloy a few months ago from a family member who hadn't used it in years. This site and the the LA Silhouette Club site have just been invaluable helping me to get started.

At first I was really hesitant to get started, but with all of the information you have it made me confident that I could turn out something shootable and most importantly not poison the family. Although I will say I prefer casting to sizing.

Thanks for all of your help!
    Ron

Boolit Bub
    Not lurking any more, I liked what I saw. Found this site when checking on lubrisizers. Have a Star on its way. Need to create better and lower cost fodder for BP and heathen smokeless guns.

Yea, thats what I need - a new hobby to 'save' money.

Boolit Grand Master

Coconino;
    I spent about fifteen years shooting and casting for BPCR-Silhouette and also shoot a bunch of BP Revolver side matches. My favorite black powder revolver is a Ruger Bisley Vaquero. It also works VERY well with smokeless.

Welcome aboard to all of the new members - a good and very knowledgeable group.

Dale53

Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome aboard Coconino.

You'll save a lot here mate, just wait 'till those group buys get to you. Then you'll really start saving..................................up.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Hello all....Lurker here.....I get a free USPS FRB full of wheelweights for joining up ,right?? My main hangout is www.glockpost.com , everybodies more than welcome to check it out, Tell them I SENT YOU. Just a junior lead ***** looking to build up his lead reserves and learn more about reloading, smelting and casting...
    www.glockpost.com
    Tell them I sent ya.

Boolit Bub
    Needed to add the to the end of my post.

I am looking forward to learning much and contributing my successes and failures.

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast