MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Hello all I am a second generation caster and reloader. My father told me about this sight and he was right there is alot of good information and good experienced people here. A little bout my self I have recently just seperated from the military after ten years and find myself with alot of time and a growing hobby. I have been shooting since I was very little but only making home brews for a couple of months. I am a casting leech I own only molds and I use other peoples equipment this is working for now but I some how doubt it will last. I look forward to talking with you guys. Have a great rest of the night and weekend.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Boolit Mold

Talked me into it

I have been one of the lurkers, read the posting and decided to join, I have picked up some really good info on this site, Thanks!. Will contribute when I can, currently cast for all pistols and 30 cal. and .444 Rifles. Enjoy the challenge of casting and shooting accurately.

Boolit Mold
    I joined a year ago but finally decided to post. Well met.

Hallo, only been lurking here for about a week, so i registered today.

Interesting site,

Closey

Moderator Emeritus
    Hi Joe,

Welcome aboard mate

Glad you've signed up and joined the gang.

This is where you'll get all the real cast boolit crack and not have to put up with me pretending to know what I'm talking about.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Super Moderator

.............Welcome to all you newer folks. It's great to have you all aboard.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thanks for the welcome Gents, it`s good to be in such learned company.

Closey

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by closey View Post
    Thanks for the welcome Gents, it`s good to be in such learned company.

Closey
    ..............Hey Dromia, one of your bunch Seriously though, a hearty welcome aboard. BTW, if you happen to own and know how to use a lathe, (and since you're here you know your way around guns) I know a guy who might be able to send you enough business to make the house payments

....................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Registered this week, this is the first time I saw this thread. There is pleny of good reading here, also idea overload with humor.
    Thanks everybody for posting your thoughts.
    So what is the registered user count now?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Welcome Aboard , still plenty of room

» Stats
    Members: 5,171
    Threads: 27,568
    Top Poster: Buckshot (6,115)
    Welcome to our newest member, 9029luke
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Mold

Cast 22s.

Hey guys, I am planning on purchasing a mold to use in a .222 Rem 14 inch T/C Contender, a .223 Rem and a .220 Swift. I cast for a lot of cartridges, but the 22 is new for me. I like the Lyman molds and have many of them. I was thinking of Lyman #225646 to use in all three. I am not looking for high speed, just fun and accuracy. What have ya'll used and what worked for you? What velocity slots seem to work? Thanks, Fred.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello everyone. Great forum, with lots of good info.

I have been an NRA life member since 1973, and have been casting bullets since I was about 13...

I spend more time now with my high velocity rifles, but still sling some lead at the local range.

Nice to "meet" everyone.

B.

Boolit Grand Master

I favor the 225415 for the .22 Hornet, .221 Remington, and .222 Remington. I have not shot cast bullets in the .223 or .220 Swift but it should work well there also.

I generally use Linotype for my .22 Rifle bullets. I consider my Lino as a precious commodity but .22's use very little per bullet. I aircool all of my bullets. If I had no Linotype, I would no doubt heat treat my bullets. Lino is provably the best casting alloy out there as far as casting perfect bullets is concerned but an excellent caster can make do with a less desirable alloy (as a for instance, w/w heat treated if you need to drive them fast and w/w with 2% tin air cooled for speeds under about 1400 fps if using a PB bullet and up to 2000 fps or so with gas check.

Dale53

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bohica2xo View Post
    Hello everyone. Great forum, with lots of good info.

I have been an NRA life member since 1973, and have been casting bullets since I was about 13...

I spend more time now with my high velocity rifles, but still sling some lead at the local range.

Nice to "meet" everyone.

B.
    Welcome aboard. Stick around, and you will learn how to shoot cast in the high velocity chamberings!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks!

I have shot plenty of lead rifle bullets, but the .22/284 is not a good candidate for lead.

Maybe I will bust out the old 8x57 Jagermeister rifle for some pb. The irons are regulated to 200 / 400 metres for factory 180 grain jacketed stuff - so it might settle down at 100 with a cast bullet.

B.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the welcome! I've been a reloader for years off & on, use a Lee Pro 1000 for 9mm, 38 spec, 357, 44 mag & 45acp. I mostly used Rainiers from Midway, my last order about a month ago was double what I paid about 6 months ago. I said enough of this, I figured I could get about everything I needed, brand new & cast my own bullits, for what I just paid for 2000 bullits. I have pretty good access to lead which helps a lot. I googled cast bullits about a week ago & found this sight, I've been learning everyday for a week now! I want to thank everybody for sharing this wealth of information, this forum is outstanding. Next week I will start to cast my own, I'm sure I will have lots of questions, but at the very least I will feel comfortable asking. Thank again. NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Super Moderator

..................Trader Vic, glad to have ya. Proud of ya for deciding to cast your own, and if you have a good source for lead, get all you can! Casting your own, cuts into your TV watching, and that's a GOOD thing.

................Buckshot

Boolit Buddy

OK guys, ya got me.

I've been lurkin round here for a good long while. I been casting for about 10 years. But thanks to all you guys I've gotten MUCH better at it. So I finally took the plunge & registered.

Hope i can help someone out the way you guys have helped me out!

Please join and post al lurkers. Very polite bunch here. Best compilation of info on the planet here on Cast Boolits. New people are always treated kindly.

Took your invite and registered. I have shot cast bullets on and off for 20 years. Did very little casting. Shot a lot in the 45 ACP, 44 Spl, 44 Mag and 45 Colt. I have used them in the 30-06 and 45-70 and 444 with excellent accuracy.

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast