Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Man
    I quit lurking a few months ago, I started casting 2 months before that, and have learned so much from this forum.

Hi,

I have been on a steep learning curve the past three years of casting. Invested in some bad equipment, then invested in some good equipment and good molds.

It's thanks to many posters on here that I have gleaned a good deal of knowledge that would of taken me many many years on my own.

So I stopped lurking and signed up. In the UK it's a little different and difficult to get stuff....but we manage and loads of us shoot cast now.

Regards

Dahonis

Boolit Mold
    Well, the sticky called me out so here I am.
    I'm a soldier, father of three, 28 y/o, from TN but stationed in GA. Complete dabbler - a shooter, beginner blacksmith, novice reloader, occasional hunter, consumer of books.
    I don't have my own press so I only reload when I visit my dad in Tennessee. I mostly reload 7.62x25, .223, and 8mm Mauser. I like ARs, revolvers, and surplus guns, which is pretty much all I own.

I mostly stick to beginner stuff right now (loaded ~300 .223 over Thanksgiving) but super interested in primitive/experimental/doomsday reloading (safety first!) To include: cast boolits, reforming brass from one caliber to another, converting berdan to boxer, homemade propellants, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Joined today! Have been an avid Hunter for most of my life, but living in the part of New Yorkistan that I reside hunting is a thing of the past! Three years ago I started to shoot USPSA, Steel Challenge and Bulleyes competition. After a short time I realized for accuracy and economy I had to reload. Started out with a single stage press and am now loading on a Dillion 550C. After reading about fifteen books and reloading over ten thousand rounds of ammo I realize how much I don't know! I cast my first ingots from scrap lead yesterday and am looking forward to learning about how to cast my own bullets for the pleasure of the sport. I will have to really dig into the info in this site because with a Lee hardness tester my ingots are about 8 bhn and I will have to figure out how to alloy them harder and what hardness I need for the loads I'm shooting. Waiting for the Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook and watching some videos on You Tube. It is a pleasure to find people who have the same interests!

Howdy fellow boolit casters, coaters, reloaders and handloaders. I joined a while back and finally started casting last week so I thought it's time to join in on the discussions. I'm still in awe over what some of you guys are turning out, fantastic work. Here's to hoping I can add something of value to the discussions.

Welcome

Welcome BC17A, you have joined with a group that will be more then happy to answer and help anyway they can. You just have to ask. I can only suggest that you read the Frequently Ask Questions area,the terms of service (TOS) and the Swappin and Selling (S&S) rules (links below). You will not be able to post anything for sale until you have reached 30 days and posted 30 contributing posts (not, Yes, or How does that work). However, you will be able to buy if you see something you can use. To keep track of your post count you will see a number under you handle, right now it says 1. The more you share your knowledge the faster you will each 30 posts

There are no dumb questions here but reading the sticky threads in each area may provide some of the answers. Don't be afraid to join in to the discussion in the areas you have interest in.

If you are having any problems just send a private message (PM) to any of the moderators and we'll be happy to get you answers or help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php?page=TOS

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...sked-Questions

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mp-Definitions

One hint. Keep the mold hot, a cold mold makes wrinkled boolits.

Again welcome to Cast Boolits.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Welcome to CB.GL forums to all that have recently joined!

Lots of info to be found here!

Here is a link to the forums archives, if you do not find what you are looking for when searching the regular forum:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...x.php/f-8.html

Something else that may be helpful to some is how to search using a search engine other than the one that is here at the top of each page in the upper right corner.

If you take the word, "site:" with out the quotation marks and "with" the semi colon after the word like it was shown, & then add, "castboolits.gunloads.com" right after the word, "site:" , the search engine will look for your search keywords only in the CB.GL forum pages and place them first in priority for your research reading pleasure.

An example would be as below:

Using the keywords,

homemade target see and shoot site: castboolits.gunloads.com

should give you the return links of what topics may have discussed those terms on this forum.

Lastly, should you decide to ask a question about something to be answered, please remember that the more vague your description of the situation/issue & what you are needing, the more likely you are to get vague answers & a lot of questions from others for more info to help answer your question(s) about something.

If you provide a lot of detail though, you will likely get detailed answer(s) much quicker.

For example if you say , "How do I get my firearm to stop leading?", you will likely get a lot of questions about What type of firearm(s)?, What were you using for bullets/boolits?, What primers & powder?, What type of lube were you using?, and so on.

But if you ask, " How do I get my Ruger model LCR ,357 Mag. with a 2" barrel, using Bullseye powder & a Federal Small Pistol primer, with a cast boolit of medium hardness and BLL lube to keep it from leading?",
    then you are likely to get a more specific & detailed answer from the folks who know the answers & save yourself the answering of a lot of questions about what you are using before you get any specific answers for that situation/issue.

G'Luck! & once again, Welcome to CB.GL forum!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Mold
    Been a lurker for a bit. Avid hunter, precision long range shooter. Want to learn more about cast bullets, blackpowder and older firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamVT View Post
    Been a lurker for a bit. Avid hunter, precision long range shooter. Want to learn more about cast bullets, blackpowder and older firearms.
    Welcome aboard GrahamVT. You will find the answers to your questions on casting here, all you have to do is ask. Use the search feature to find common answers or information on your topic and if no luck ask. They'll be more tips and welcomes along shortly.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Welcome to CB.GL forum!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Mold
    I’ve been lurking on this site for several years, but I finally joined!

Boolit Bub
    been a member since 08 and post very little but the wealth of info on this site is 2nd to none; also the people here are as friendly as they come as well.

Boolit Mold
    I've been an inactive/lurking member for a while and have just recently started casting boolits again. Powder coat ROCKS!

Boolit Mold
    New guy stepping in to the world of casting. Have been enjoying the site and its vast amount of knowledge available. Can't wait to get started. I'll be lurking and asking questions as they arise. Thanks in advance.

In the woods, where I cant see my neighbors
    Howdy!
    Haven’t cast any boolits yet, but I’ve been reloading 357 maximum for my Super Blackhawk for about 7 years now. Made a bunch of .38 and .357 ammo too.
    Been lurking on and off now during that 7 years and hoping to learn much more. My user name tells you what I did in my past life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Hello, thanks for the forum and the info!

My first cast from a few weeks ago. NOE 247 gr .311 for 300 AAC.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5UCdxHp.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	261678
    Boolits relatively freshly cast

Name:	0tZcHZi.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	261679
    First attempts at PC

Name:	wzm0Ult.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	261680
    First loaded rounds.

Banned
    Welcome to CB lilMAC25 PM sent

Boolit Mold
    Just joined today lurked for a bit, on the fence about casting yet I’ve been reloading for about a year

G’day all,

I’ve been lurking for a while but decided to join as I have a new project that I’ll almost certainly get stuck on.

I’ve been casting my own rounds and conicals (for a few years now) for my muzzle loading pistols and rifles with good results and progressed onto casting for 45 LC in BP, which is very fun and therapeutic.

I just picked up a Steyr Scout in 308 Win, just in time for ammo/component prices to jump by 25% minimum (thank you covid 19....) but luckily I put some brass on one side before the price hike, so now I’m wondering about casting projectiles for a 308 win.

Banned
    G'Day mate,

welcome to cast boolits.

casting for 308 will be a lot like casting for muzzleloading except you will need harder lead alloy.

harder alloys melt at lower temperatures

most 308 will shoot a boolit (lead bullet) sized to .309. you will need a .309 mold in the weight and profile you want to shoot, you will also need a sizing die (like a lee like this one https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...g-goods&sr=1-1

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041 LastLast