RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Master

Well, you've got a start on it....

So I have been a reloader for a few years now. I have always ordered my bullets from MBC, RMR, or Xtreme. Lately I have been shooting much more, and bullet prices are hurting my wallet. I figured this would be a nice way to supplement my current stock of projectiles and enjoy a new hobby. I could use some direction going into this... I reload cast lead for 38spl/357mag, 9mm Luger, 45ACP, 30/30win... I have an old propane heat source and cast iron pot to melt bulk lead. Today I picked up some material to build a lead sifter to farm range lead. I currently do not have any equipment besides the above mentioned, I need to acquire some molds, casting pot, lube, and possibly a sizer. Suggestions on brands and places to get these items would be greatly appreciated, donations welcome as well
    I have enjoyed the postings and am learning a great deal from the discussions. Great community here!

Take care all,
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by chubby old bald guy View Post
    Testing, testing this is my first post. Been reloading since I was a teenager. I got here as soon as I could -- have I missed anything! LOL
    Hello Sir,
    Same boat here, first time poster... Welcome and hope to see you around

Take care,
    JB

Banned

well you are actually off to a good start.
    getting the lead and cleaning it and making ingots is an important part of what we do and is where you need to start.
    your next step of course is using that lead to make boolits with.
    I would start with the LEE 20 lb pot, and a lee mold for the 357 [something about 158grs would be hard to go wrong with] that will get you to step 2 and give you plenty of time to work out the sizer.
    the sizer you choose will depend on how fast you need boolits.
    same as whether to get a 2 or a 4or6 cavity mold.
    I had a lyman sizer set up for about 10 boolits, then promptly called magma engineering and ordered a star sizer with accoutrements.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    well you are actually off to a good start.
    getting the lead and cleaning it and making ingots is an important part of what we do and is where you need to start.
    your next step of course is using that lead to make boolits with.
    I would start with the LEE 20 lb pot, and a lee mold for the 357 [something about 158grs would be hard to go wrong with] that will get you to step 2 and give you plenty of time to work out the sizer.
    the sizer you choose will depend on how fast you need boolits.
    same as whether to get a 2 or a 4or6 cavity mold.
    I had a lyman sizer set up for about 10 boolits, then promptly called magma engineering and ordered a star sizer with accoutrements.
    Thank you for your words of encouragement, I will have to take it slow. Next on my limited budget will be a casting pot, I will have to try and find some inexpensive molds.

Boolit Mold
    Hi Folks,
    finally coming in out of the shadows. I actually joined a month ago or so, I think, but I've been reading this forum for a while. Learned casting from my Dad, 25+ years ago (or should I say I started to learn then, because I learn something new every day!). I lost a lot of equipment in a fire in about 2006 and have been out of it since then. Finally got enough equipment to start loading again a couple of years ago or so and started casting again just this year. I'm a dipper- I use a cast iron pot and a ladle, have never ever tried a bottom pour but right now I kind of have the hots for an RCBS Pro Melt and I don't know why. I will be casting mostly for handguns for the moment until I get some more molds. There has been a lot that changed and some things that didn't since I cast regularly. This forum has been and will continue to be a great help. I'm sure I will ask plenty of questions but I do generally try to search first In any event, thanks for all the past help and the future help and hopefully at some point I can be helpful to someone else!

Boolit Buddy
    I got into casting years ago but decided that it took more time than I wanted to spend.Now I am retired and have more time to enjoy myself. I bought a 300 Blackout and a suppressor which quickly led me on a search for cheaper 30 caliber heavy projectiles. When I returned to casting I found that there have been many changes in the lead supply situation. I was very fortunate to find the post here on sorting wheel weights. Zinc? never heard of it before. I bought two 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights and sorted them as directed. The yield was about 70# of clip on weights and 42# of stick on with about 6 inches of clip on weights in one bucket yet to be melted down. The rest was steel/zinc/clips scrap. The photo shows some of my stash melted down and poured into a dive weight mold at just over two pounds each.

The other big change since my last effort at casting is powder coating. I have bought a PC gun from Eastwood and a $7 toaster oven from Goodwill. Best thing that ever happened to cast bullets as far as I am concerned. Thanks for this forum and all of the new information that is shared here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COWW ingots.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	179700

Awesome, be sure to send us updates on your progress!
    Take care,

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    I got into casting years ago but decided that it took more time than I wanted to spend.Now I am retired and have more time to enjoy myself. I bought a 300 Blackout and a suppressor which quickly led me on a search for cheaper 30 caliber heavy projectiles. When I returned to casting I found that there have been many changes in the lead supply situation. I was very fortunate to find the post here on sorting wheel weights. Zinc? never heard of it before. I bought two 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights and sorted them as directed. The yield was about 70# of clip on weights and 42# of stick on with about 6 inches of clip on weights in one bucket yet to be melted down. The rest was steel/zinc/clips scrap. The photo shows some of my stash melted down and poured into a dive weight mold at just over two pounds each.

The other big change since my last effort at casting is powder coating. I have bought a PC gun from Eastwood and a $7 toaster oven from Goodwill. Best thing that ever happened to cast bullets as far as I am concerned. Thanks for this forum and all of the new information that is shared here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COWW ingots.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	179700

Banned

looks like your jumping right back in again.

I have found that time isn't an issue really.
    the day's I want to cast I just get up and plug the pot in and do my normal stuff for a bit then go out and knock some boolits out for an hour or so.
    same thing with sizing.
    I just prep the sizer and let it warm up while I get something else done for a half hour or so then come and get an hour or so in then shut it all down and move on with my day.
    I load the same way.
    I get the 550 set up and just cruise through the room for a half hour or so every now and then until I get the empty cases filled.

Boolit Master

Long time lurker, recently joined. Been handloading for years, finally got into casting late last year. Right now doing a couple pistol calibers, rifle calibers and just this year started playing with gas checks. I also make a variety of black powder balls. Probably do more Bp shooting than smokless, but its close. Smokless loading I do is mainly for hunting calibers in long gun, and plinking for handgun, plus obsolete cartridges and milsurp calibers. I make my own hard lube mixes, ties into my soap making hobby nicely.

Looks like I'm getting powder coating. Just tho week got my powder, garage sale toaster oven, and might play with the shak n bake method friday morning. Anyway, just saying hi, glad to be a member and not a lurker anymore.

Boolit Man
    I've been a lurker for sometime and I decided to sign up. My background is a NRA High Power shooter both across the course and long range. My main interest concerning Cast Boolits is casting for pistol, maybe rifle later on. I have been casting for a number of years and loading for a long time. I want to thank everyone in advance for sharing their knowledge.

Hi to all, iv'e been casting & reloading sine '55 am a NRA/Life/endow/ member, belonged to CBA for several years, yes they tought me some, but nothing like I've learned from The Cast Boolits, this group does away with all the hype & BS, it it the finest bunch of all shooters my respect is to all of you, now if I just understand how to ask Questions, a big thank you to all members, Fivefang

Boolit Mold

New guy

New guy, first post

just started casting. Extremely enjoyable. Not since junior high have I cast anything. Using a small Lee 10lb Lee Pot and a small spoon.

Been reading and learning. Very fun.

lots of questions but there is pleanty of time for those.

Steve

Boolit Mold
    Howdy All,

I've been reading for a while, this is the best resource on the web! Trying to expand my reloading and casting efforts (workin' for a living is not helping) and figured it was time to sign-up, real happy to be here. Thanks for all I've learned from y'all just by lurkin'.

Woodchucker

Boolit Mold
    Hello everyone,

Been lurking and reading for a little while decided it was finally time to join and hopefully pull from the large field on knowledge on this forum as I learn what questions to ask. I hope to make this a hobby for the next decade or more.

Howdy from Southeast Texas!

I've been reading up here and there for awhile now and finally decided to join up.
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer View Post
    Howdy from Southeast Texas!

I've been reading up here and there for awhile now and finally decided to join up.
    Welcome aboard you won't regret it one bit.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    Greetings casters and loaders: I am new to the board, but not new to reloading. I've been at that task for many years for all of my calibers except 22 rimfire. I started collecting equipment for casting this year (2016) and reading (the Lyman Casing book, for example), and this board. I'm planning on casting my first bullets when it thaws out in the spring of 2017. Between now and then I am learning and collecting lead. I am a cautious reloader, and I expect that I will be the same with casting. I'm grateful for all of the folks that share their experience and knowledge on this board. Thanks.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to the folks who are allowing me to try to learn from their mistakes.

New guy from Mi thumb. Been lurking for awhile finally joined. I'm working on gathering my stuff to cast boolits for my T/C Black Diamond.50 cal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast