WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Buddy
    i've gotten a lot of good info off this site, not so much casting, but reloading, scopes, guns, etc. Now that I've got my reloading practice squared away I think I'm going to move into casting so I'll be able to shoot more....no delusions on savings here. Anywho, thanks in advance to all of you with the knowledge I need for answering questions and writing good posts.
    And if you have intimate knowledge of Ruger Bisley Blackhawks chambered in 45Colt and how I might be able to try bullets that an affordable mold is available for that would be cool. THanks again!

Just joined last night! Discovered your thread today. I've tryed to join before but, the websight would throw me off course. I was a member of the CBA for a few years. My goal is to have a great lead bullet load for each of my guns. Most for just shooting but, some for hunting. Working on three loads at this time, 35 Whelen, 6.5x55 Swedish and 7.62x39mm. I might be spreading myself too thin.

Is is ok to come out of the closet? I've lurked for a year. I've had basic equipment for 25 years and never got into serious reloading just something to play with. Recently I decided I had better start gathering some supplies to expand my pastime. I stumbled across the message board and have basically lurking on a daily basis since then.

Just finished 1400 cast & reloaded 9mm rounds - that was quite a bit of yanking on the single stage. I have no urge to change my equipment; I have a process and it works. Cant wait till some other accessories come, the old Lyman will get a good workout for sure.

One thing that I am proud of is that I was there to witness my son harvest his first deer using his grandfathers rifle with a round I loaded MYSELF - icing on the cake we recovered the slug!

Boolit Bub
    New guy here as well. Been gleaning info off of this site for a couple years now, so figured I better pony up and join!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm planning to start casting by fall. I have bought pre made lead to reload for the handguns for years but really would like to make up target loads for the rifles. With a couple teenage boys now into shooting even the cheap berdan primed surplus stuff is getting expensive. I am finding this site great for doing research into the best moulds for my older bolt guns and the tips from the long time casters has helped. My local tire shop is putting wheel weights aside for me and should enough to go by summer.

Boolit Bub
    I have lurked here for a long time...joined not long ago. Got a new Ruger Blackhawk convertible 45colt/45acp...so casting boolits was inevitable....
    Picked up a Lee mold for the Ruger and one of my 7x57 rifles... Just started pouring boolits last week! Im a goner...

Zeebob

I'm a lurker too. Been doing so much reading here I figured I might as well join. I'm a leverholic. Been reloading j-words for many years but recently broke the ice and bought my first mold. My search for mp hollow point molds keeps leading me back here. Hope to be in on some group buys very soon.

Russell
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm new here and just learning my way around. I've done some reloading and now just getting into the art of casting. I shoot a Buffalo Classic and a Pedretti 1874 Hartford model Sharps both 45-70. I picked up 3 molds, all Lee 340gr,405gr and 500 gc. With the scarcity of powder these days, I found some IMR 4198. I've used it in the past with jacketed bullets. Wondering... does anyone have any advise as to what might be some starting out loads for these in both rifles? Not looking for any barnstormers, just some nice target loads. I have used some dacron filler in the past, but after talking to a tech at the company. He said never use a filler of any kind. I might get away with it for awhile, but the danger of a ringed chamber or barrel is real. A fantastic forum here. I've been reading it for days now. A real wealth of knowledge here to tap into. I appreciate any help with this. Thanks!
    Last edited by big bore 99; 07-05-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Greetings from Arkansas! I've been reloading/handloading for around 20 years but now wish to try my hand at casting. I have zero knowledge on the subject so i'll be asking quite a few questions. Thanks in advance

Boolit Mold
    So what is a boolit mold ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gotlead View Post
    So what is a boolit mold ?
    A newbie.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Bub
    I'm a long time lurker here. Been reading this forum a long time and never bothered to post until now. I'm currently casting 200gr boolits for a military silhouette match, and having fun getting things dialed in. I'm hoping to try them at the range this weekend, I'll report back either way

I'm really glad this forum is here, there's a lot of info I haven't seen anywhere else.

hummm .. i need the casters handbook..
    what book do you recommends ?
    first off .. I'm going to learn all i can about cast boolits.
    have a friend thats invited me to come to his house and he'll show me a few things.
    secondary thing is .. I'm prolly just going to load for my old 1947 winchester thurty thurty .. the quest is to make it the most useful it can be.. from squirrels to deer.
    we all have to start somewhere.

Boolit Mold
    Hello Boolit Casters,

Yes, I,ve been lurking out here, so here's my first post.
    I've lived in the San Francisco Bay area most of my life, except for 4 years in the US Navy. I started casting boolits in 1969 with a Lyman #311359 (single cavity) for my M1 Carbine, used a .309" lube size die in my Lyman #45 Lube/size die. I still have and use all of these. I also use this .309" die for other 30 cal boolits 30-30, 30-06. It seems that this die now sizes to .310", I'm sure that this die has seen 10K boolits thru it, It also seems to leak a "thin ribbon" of lube (Lyman Orange Magic, press has a lube heater installed) when the lube is "under pressure" Is this die worn out? Maybe it's time for a new one. Is there any difference between Lyman and RCBS sizing dies? I have Lyman sizing dies at .224, .309, .358, .452 the .309 and .358 I've had for 45 years.

Big Daddy Bruce

Ok , I will have to admit it ! I am a lurker also . Been loading and shooting since the 70s but have just started casting the last couple months . This forum has been a great help and questions I had I just did a search . Thanks for all of you that take the time and are willing to share

Boolit Mold
    Hi all from Australia,
    i`ve been a lurker on and off for years, I`ve been reloading and casting for some time, and with fine adjustments to mix,alloy and mold temp, heat treating using the excellent info I have gleaned from this site, each time I do a run of Boolits they are better than the last, ..so i thought I should join up and hopefully give something back.
    I cast for .22 cal (Hornet), 297/230 , .310, 30 cal and 44-40 along with 44, 45,and 54 round ball and 54 REAL for one of my smoke poles and I also cast a Minnie for my Enfield in .577..and that would be the most rewarding Boolit I cast.
    Shooting the 150 yr old Rifle/Musket is a real blast, and i consider it an honour to be the custodian of this fine old piece..i hope the new owner has as much fun with it as i do when I pass it on.
    Thanks for making all this great info available, and sharing the knowledge on such a great site.
    Cheers,
    Roger in OZ

Hello,
    im my life I stumbled up to:
    -airrifle-shooting
    -rimfire-rifle-shooting
    -centerfire-rifle-shooting (nitro and blackpowder)
    -reloading centerfire cartridges
    -producing own lead projectiles

now i stubled up to this forum and after a while "lurking" i signed up yesterday.

This is my first post here, it will not be the last I think. Because I've got a few issues/problems in which help can be found here maybe!?

Please note; English is not my native language. Therefore it's possible that my writing is a little "different" compared to what is normal at this forum. My excuses about that.

I speak English very well, not so snel maar dat komt nog wel!

Lurkers can't even spell lerk.. that's how you can find them. poor bastids
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Mold
    OK I am a new member. I started reloading shotgun in the 90's and started reloading rifle and pistol in 2005. I have been casting 45 bullets for ACP and Colt. I am just working on reducing the leading in my ACP cylinder in a Ruger Blackhawk. am getting lots of leading in the forcing cone only when using the ACP cylinder. Bullets are 230 grain Lee TC .
    Thanks for all the great info on the website.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rjh245 View Post
    OK I am a new member. I started reloading shotgun in the 90's and started reloading rifle and pistol in 2005. I have been casting 45 bullets for ACP and Colt. I am just working on reducing the leading in my ACP cylinder in a Ruger Blackhawk. am getting lots of leading in the forcing cone only when using the ACP cylinder. Bullets are 230 grain Lee TC .
    Thanks for all the great info on the website.
    Fit is King, Hardness takes second to place to fit. OK with that behind us measure the cylinder for the 45 acp, you may need a bigger boolit OR you may be swaging them down when loading.

Check this thread out on a great book by Glen Fryxell, free for the downloading. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-Handgunners
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast