Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

I am brand spanky new to this realm of loading so my ?'s might sound simple. I "watched" my dad cast tons of bullets, both pistol and rifle. I understand the concept and the safety issues. I understand the different tools. I am finding out by way of reading y'alls posts that there are LOTS of variables involved. What I have at the moment as far as tools and supplies are this, Lyman production pot, 2-5 gallon buckets of wheel weights, a new in the box Lee rifle mold for 7mm, Lee lube and sizer. So I guess my question is what else do I need besides the safety equipment, have that also. I was hearing that Lyman Alox is good for putting on the bullet molds v ribs and pins along with the sprue plate pin. Is it also good to flux. Please any and all suggestions are welcome. My father passed away this past year and I am lost without his knowledge. Thank you

Hello everyone!

Complete boolit casting noob here with zero projectile making experience.

I am a huge firearm enthusiast who recently got started in handloading about a year ago. I currently load 9mm and .40 S&W on my Dillon RL550B with commercial ingredients. I just bought a Ruger LCR (.38 SPL +P rated) and I was consider purchasing some reloading supplies in this caliber, but the thought of casting boolits in this caliber came to mind.

I am not new to casting in itself. I make my own fishing lures (bass jigs, football jigs, weighted hooks, .etc) so I have all of the equipment to melt and pour lead. I have been browsing this forum for the past couple of days and I cannot believe the amount of knowledge that is on this site. It is insane. I will be searching and reading for quite a while it seems.

I just wanted to say "hi" and thanks for the info.

Safe shootin,
    Greg

Boolit Bub
    I just started loading lead for my pistols because FMJ and plated got too expensive. Now I'm curious enough to look into maybe casting my own. I guess it depends on how easy scrounging lead is. I just ordered the Lyman cast bullet handbook to start reading about it. And I'm lurking here.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to CastBoolits leadmonkey,

Here's another excellent book for you to start with and this one is free.

From Ingot To Target

Good idea to print this out for a hard copy.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Alright, I'm here!

I've been reloading for a year now and have found it to be more enjoyable than shooting. Now my trips to the range are so I'll have some cases to process and reload. I figure casting my own looks like as much fun as loading my own ammo, so I'm going to give it a whirl.

I have no lead or casting equipment at the moment, and I'm having a heck of a time finding lead. Any suggestions? The wheel weight thing doesn't seem like it's working out so far.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TenDriver View Post
    Alright, I'm here!

I've been reloading for a year now and have found it to be more enjoyable than shooting. Now my trips to the range are so I'll have some cases to process and reload. I figure casting my own looks like as much fun as loading my own ammo, so I'm going to give it a whirl.

I have no lead or casting equipment at the moment, and I'm having a heck of a time finding lead. Any suggestions? The wheel weight thing doesn't seem like it's working out so far.
    Great you will have fun. Some of the best places to find lead is out door ranges, salvage yards, rotometals (see ad at top of page) and some sell it on this site. Ask again in this part of the forum and you should get even more replies. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...d-lead-alloy-s
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by TenDriver View Post
    Alright, I'm here!
    II have no lead or casting equipment at the moment, and I'm having a heck of a time finding lead. Any suggestions? The wheel weight thing doesn't seem like it's working out so far.
    I had the same problem starting out and ended up getting lead on ebay. It was more expensive than scrap but it did get me started. Enjoy.
    If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by STP View Post
    Yesireee....

And to boot, there`s a bunch of interesting and helpful people here.
    Yeah... but interesting might not have been the first description in my mind.....---

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

I've never cast boolits until now. This Christmas my kids got me a couple of Lee molds and my wife got me a Lee furnace. I have 2 5gal buckets of WW waiting to be melted and fluxed. I down loaded the "Ingots to Targets" book (WOW!) I've also been reading everything here, but posting little. Don't really know what to ask, yet. But I'm loving the site.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Greetings all,

I've been lurking and learning for a while now and I'm finally getting my moulds (feet?) wet. I've been a reloader for a few years but lately have had problems finding some bullets for a few calibers I reload for. I thought casting might be a good way to get those bullets.

I've done a lot of reading (Lee book, Lyman book, this forum) and watched a lot of videos on youtube and i'm anxious to get started. -2F outside temps are not conducive to me doing this anytime soon though. I have all of my casting gear, most of my lead rendering gear and about 250lb of wheel weights, 25lb of range lead in ingots from eBay, and about 7lb of pewter I found antiquing with my wife.

I look forward to talking with, and learning from, all the fine folks here.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to CastBoolits Cloud,

Here is some more great reading on the subject for those cold nights sitting next to the fire.

From Ingot To Target

Download it & print it out, you'll find that you refer to it often.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Hello, I am new here. I just posted to another thread regarding a product I like that someone bashed and I had to say something. I just recently started to cast my own bullets for 9mm, 45, 10mm, and 44 mag. I purchased Lee tumble lube molds for these calibers and so far very much enjoy casting and shooting them. I hope to learn a lot from people here so help me out when you can! Thanks

6.5guy

Welcome,I'm a frequent lurker myself

Boolit Bub
    Got a progressive press just before christmas and after reading posts on the site got it working, Then in January I got a 9mm mold and furnace and etc. and after reading the site got powder coating stuff, now invested in a melting cooker and cast iron pot to melt wheel weights. Mostly due to this site, it has cost me big bucks to save money on shooting a few boolits. It is great fun though. Glad we had a little $ set aside before I started "saving money".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by russs View Post
    Got a progressive press just before christmas and after reading posts on the site got it working, Then in January I got a 9mm mold and furnace and etc. and after reading the site got powder coating stuff, now invested in a melting cooker and cast iron pot to melt wheel weights. Mostly due to this site, it has cost me big bucks to save money on shooting a few boolits. It is great fun though. Glad we had a little $ set aside before I started "saving money".
    Welcome to the site that has saved everyone the same amount of money.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    I've been handloading for almost two years now. Today was my first day of casting and it was for the fabulous 41 magnum. I look forward to learning great stuff on this forum.

Boolit Man
    Been a lurker for quite a while. Don't have setup to cast yet although I've been using Bayou Bullets in my CZ clone with great success (I use the 9mm 150gr SWCs with a bunny fart load of W231/HP38 and love them). Got a 5 gallon with 160lbs of WWs (mostly lead from what I can tell so far) just waiting for casting and am about to order a Lee pot and a mold or two tonight for 300 BLK casting (and PCing).

Boolit Mold
    I'm done lurking too. Been casting for my .357 for awhile now. When i started all the tire shops were tickled to get rid of thier old WW,now you have a hard time gettin there before they sell em off to the highest bidder. Have a couple small shops that save em for me though.

Boolit Mold

Done Lurkin'

My lurking days are over. I hope I have a few nuggets of knowledge to share as this site has saved me a few times over the last three years of casting. I have about 5000 perfect boolits under my belt. I cast for the 22 hornet up to my 303 British. Thanks to everyone who has helped create this incredible knowledge base. Only casting could make a grown man excited about 500 popscicle sticks for 50 cents at a yard sale!

Boolit Buddy

Ultimate Lurker...

I guess that describes me. I have been reading these enlightening pages for several years. I guess I never thought I had much to add. A little background on me. I have been hunting/shooting since I was pretty young. I started reloading when I was in the Air Force in the mid 60's and have been casting almost as long. I started in a little gun shop in Port Austin Michigan where I would cast muzzleloader projectiles and pistol bullets for the owner. He let me keep half of what I cast, and I could shoot pretty cheap. It worked out good for both of us as he had more time for the shop.
    Lots of time has passed and I pretty much shoot pistols and revolvers now. Keeping them fed with ammo over the years has been as much fun as shooting (well almost). I hear people complaining they cant find ammo and wonder why more don't roll there own.
    Any way I really enjoy reading the threads here and learn new stuff all the time. The lead alloy calculator is great as are the many stickies. The depth of knowledge here is outstanding. I may not post much but I really enjoy the time I spend here.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast