Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Mold
    RickColt45,

Thanks for the info. I slugged my barrel and found I had a constriction at the threads and inside where the ejector housing screw bushing is attached on the barrel. I have lapped my barrel to where it now has a continuous taper to it. I now have to start working through the process again to figure out why I still have leading. I am definitely enjoying the process. Gives me continuous reasons to go to the range.

Also, I am working on getting a hardness tester to figure out the lead I currently have.
    Last edited by MattOK; 10-31-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Praise God and pass me some more ammunition!
    Common sense ain't so common anymore!

Boolit Mold
    Hello, I'm an old timer and have lived in South Georgia and North Florida nearly all my life. I've been reloading since the late 50's (shot gun and rifle) but have never done any casting. I found this site about a month ago and joined. I've been very impressed with the amount of knowledge and experience which is apparent and everyone's willingness to help. I've not bought any equipment yet as I've trying to see what I need. I'm primarily interested in hunting rather than a lot of shooting and am currently interested in subsonics using, of course, a suppressor. I will be shooting a Remington 700 in a .308 with a 20" barrel and a one to 10 twist, bullet speed at approximatel 1050 fps. As most of you know at that velocity a jacketed bullet will not expand and will just pencil through. Also, energy will only be approximately 400 ft/lbs. I've read that gas checks can sometimes come off and lodge in the suppressor ad be difficult to remove or be an obstacle to the next shot. I wonder if a soft lead bullet might perform better on hog/deer sized game although not expanding but perhaps deforming enough to make a larger wound channel. Also hunting season has opened in Georgia and Florida and I wonder if someone would sell me some cast bullets to get started with. Sorry for the long post. SyrupMaker

Boolit Bub
    I have been a lurker for a while but am starting to post and love it.

Short time lurker. Not at a point to start casting my own, but wanting to know what I am asking for when I place an order for cast loads.

Took a long hiatus from shooting (20+ years) now I am back doing what I missed all along. The wife isn't so keen until I can show how to enjoy at a low cost. She did the math on what I was spending recently, and bought me a reloading kit (Lee turret press) and a set of .308 dies.

For hunting I am looking at hogs, coyotes, deer and maybe elk if I can get a tag in the lottery.

I am a cubical zombie for the day job, though, my boss keeps telling me that my out of the box thinking keeps me employed. This site has been great so far at taking my out of the box thinking and putting it back closer to inside the box before something goes BOOM instead of Bang!

So for a little while, I will play sponge and absorb everything I can! Slowly reading my way through the threads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsnscrews View Post
    Short time lurker. Not at a point to start casting my own, but wanting to know what I am asking for when I place an order for cast loads.

Took a long hiatus from shooting (20+ years) now I am back doing what I missed all along. The wife isn't so keen until I can show how to enjoy at a low cost. She did the math on what I was spending recently, and bought me a reloading kit (Lee turret press) and a set of .308 dies.

For hunting I am looking at hogs, coyotes, deer and maybe elk if I can get a tag in the lottery.

I am a cubical zombie for the day job, though, my boss keeps telling me that my out of the box thinking keeps me employed. This site has been great so far at taking my out of the box thinking and putting it back closer to inside the box before something goes BOOM instead of Bang!

So for a little while, I will play sponge and absorb everything I can! Slowly reading my way through the threads.
    Don't feel bad I hadn't shot a round for 20 years either. After buying my first gun in January and ammo being hard to find and expensive I got into reloading with the Lee Classic Loader. Now I have the Lee Turret Press and have a load worked up for my 45 acp with cast boolits and am now working on my .308 but have yet to cast any boolits for it.

Take your time and enjoy your new hobby.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

It's addictive...I just bought the Holy Grail...Lyman's Cast Boolit Guide...

Boolit Grand Master

Pins, here's another must have book and this ones free.

From Ingot To Target

Download it & print it out, this is a great resource.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Thanks Cbrick. Will download the next time I am on the computer rather than my iPad. Will also print at work since no one would notice an extra 150-200 pages printed in my department ( we have had on occasion the odd 1500 - 2000 page attorney demand package get printed for 'light' reading )

Long time lurker, first post. Have cast lotsa' round balls (and Minies), and a few boolits for my .310 Cadet. Bought a Uberti 38-55 and decided to get with the program here.
    Most likely won't post much, as the 'search' function is my friend. May PM a time or two for in-depth clarification though.
    Cheers,
    R

I've been lurking a long time and only submitted a few posts. There is SO much information on this site that I can find what I want through a search. Thanks, guys.
    If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical problem.

Boolit Mold
    Well SHAZAMM! Cast Boolets, just like I pictured it. Who was it that said any club that would have me as a member...
    OK, now we can get serious. Been lurking for awhile and have learned a lot. Thanks. Started casting six months ago and found that I enjoy it as much, maybe more than going to the range and "setting them free". Being the kind of person that likes to tinker with things has really reared it's ugly head in this quest for the perfect bullet. I've discovered that it's not unusual for me to make a thousand very nice boolets only to melt them down and try again. I've done this more times than I'd care to remember, but I have learned a great deal in the process. The journey continues, but I think I may be getting close to the perfect batch of lead.
    Thanks, RR

Boolit Bub
    I guess I'm not a lurker because I was searching for info on the net when I found Castboolits and I joined as soon as I got here, which was only a few days ago. I started loading and casting in the 70s so I could shoot more, and I've learned there are two types of shooters. Back then, I was a type one, reloading so I could shoot. Now sometimes I think I've become a type two, shooting so I can reload. Or swage. I used to shoot .22 for cheap practice. Now, as scarce as .22lr has become, the decision to shoot rimfire partially depends on if I need more jackets for brass boolits.

Just a word of warning to those who think that casting to reload your own ammo is less expensive. Uh, uh, nope. It is true that casting and reloading costs somewhere around 1/20 of buying store-bought ammo, but the truth is that us casters end up shooting TWENTY TIMES AS MUCH AMMO as we otherwise would. AND I LOVE IT!!!

rl 1,175
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Well figure this is good as any place to post first. I finally got a decent supply of wheel weights and other lead so now I get to begin doing more research. figured why not register.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoBeanCounter View Post
    Ummmmmmm......... Hay Testhop..........What IS a dumb question anyway?
    Deano
    LOL....I could come up with a few!!!!!!
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

Boolit Mold
    I guess I've been a lurker. I got brave and bought a 300gr mould from Lee for my .44mags. Using WW and water quenching it drops 'em out between 320-329 grains. I've been culling the herd and keeping the ones between 323-325gr. I'm loading them over H110 and shooting them out of a Ruger SBH Hunter and a Marlin 1894. So far I am VERY happy with the accuracy obtained in both weapons. Now, if I could only see a deer!!! Haven't seen one all season!! Anyway thanks to everyone for all the info posted on this site and a Merry Christmas to all!!

Boolit Mold
    I'm jumping in to give it a shot.

I finally decided to join after a lot of research on this site. I've been collecting a little range lead here and there for the last couple years and finally picked up a Lee 6 cavity mold. I cast my first batch of 45 cal 200gr SWCs this weekend and am looking forward to trying them out.

Boolit Mold
    Hello....I joined after looking at threads here over the past few years. With reloading prices the way they are I figured it would be good to join as everyone talks about this as the best place to learn about casting lead. Now if I could just safely shoot lead in my desert eagle without turning it into a paper weight.....

Looking forward to learning!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthetomato View Post
    Hello....I joined after looking at threads here over the past few years. With reloading prices the way they are I figured it would be good to join as everyone talks about this as the best place to learn about casting lead. Now if I could just safely shoot lead in my desert eagle without turning it into a paper weight.....

Looking forward to learning!
    No reason not to do that. You're in the right place to learn how to do it with no leading. Welcome aboard!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast