RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Master

jp1: Wheel weights should work just fine in your 30-30. You might want to add a bit of tin to aid in mould fill-out. If you're using a boolit designed for gas checks, and you're putting them on, then air cooled will work fine. If you're using a plain based boolit, or not using gas checks with a boolit designed for them, and you're pushing them fairly fast you might consider water dropping the boolits to harden them a bit, although I personally have never felt a need to water drop my boolits.

Also, I'm curious, when you malt down the lead, do you use beer, or powdered malt?
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Hello from Minnesota! Ive just begun casting and have been long distance mentored by a member here by phone and by forum. I look forward to learning more.
    Gary

Greetings All.

I'm a newbie here and trying to learn about boolit casting.

I've been reloading for a bit more than 25 years, love to shoot, and I'm always looking to learn more.

I appreciate the wealth of info contained here.

I'm an old guy, father and husband, and grandfather. I served as a Navy Corpsman long ago, and work as an R.N. in a busy E.R. these days.

Thanks for having me on board.

Boolit Grand Master

prag, Welcome to the board! Ask what you want to know about anything from gardening to shooting 50BMG to politics, you will get the answers you are after.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    prag, Welcome to the board! Ask what you want to know about anything from gardening to shooting 50BMG to politics, you will get the answers you are after.
    Thank you goodsteel. Much obliged.

That's good news, as I garden, dehydrate, pressure can and practice self preparedness principles.

We have to have a balance in life, and the means to live it as best we can.
    Jamie

Boolit Bub
    New from Indiana, just getting into casting, loving the site, really helpful folks and easy to find answers without a ton of spam answers.

Boolit Mold
    Greeting from North Dallas. I am a newbie caster with a whopping 1 cast session under my belt. Gotta start somewhere. I look forward to learning from and participating in this forum on my journey to making great cast bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to all of the "newbies" - we're happy to have you!

Dale53

I have just joined Cast Boolits forum not five minutes ago. Having been a "lurker" for some time (ha-ha), I have finally jumped in to be part of what I consider the very BEST forum out there in the world of shooting PERIOD! I have been reloading for about 25 years. Over half my adult life, some of my favorites are .45 Colt, 7x57 Mauser, 6.5x55 Mauser, .357 Magnum/.38 Special, .458 Win Mag and (oddly enough) .32 ACP. I cast boolits (I believe this is the customary spelling on the forum- ha-ha!)for several of these calibers and am in the process of buying a mold for 6.5x55. Often when I go to the range out where I live, I feel like a dinosaur when I break out my old military rifles and revolvers, but I feel happy to find there are MANY others just like me on this site! So, NO MORE LURKING!! I have avoided joining ANY other sites/forums since a lot of them seem to be "hostile" and full of pseudo "know it alls", but the level of knowledge, comeraderie, COURTESY(!), respect and willingness to share seems better on this forum than ANY other I've looked at. I'm pleased I finally joined and hope to glean a ton of useful info. I have some to share as well......

Boolit Buddy

Hay guys, I just joined this site but I’ve been casting for about 25 years and loading for about 32. I shoot on average 1000 handgun rounds a month, or 12,000 rounds a year. Not many chances to shoot rifle here in NE Ohio, can‘t even hunt with them. I am a paper puncher and cast primarily to reduce cost. Thought I would join in and stop lurking around.

Boolit Buddy

Greeting from the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

New caster here. Right now I am getting set up to cast for the 45 Colt. I have Ruger Bisley Blackhawk that I want to try hunting with. I have been reloading off and on for 20+ years.

Boolit Grand Master

Dude;
    I have a SS Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt/.45 ACP and have to admit it's one fine revolver.

My preference in bullets for the .45 Colt is the Mihec RCBS 45-270-SAA bullet. I have both a solid mould (four cavity) and a two cavity Cramer Style hollow point mould. My bullets weigh 285 grs in my standard alloy (WW's+2% tin) and when cast 20/1 the hollow point mould bullets weigh 270 grs. I have several .44 Magnums so do not try to Magnumtize the .45 Colt. However, if I were still hunting deer, I wouldn't hesitate a New York Minute to load up the .45 Colt and have at it.

My range load is 8.5 grs of Unique behind the solid bullet.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy

I wish I could find a Stainless Bisley in 45 Colt. I did look at Mihec's surplus mods on the vendor thread. Unfortunately he does not have any of the 270 SAAs left. I was looking at the 454-260, seems to be pretty close. I do have a set of RCBS 270 SAA. Too late on the do not magnumtize the Colt. I ran some hot loads in it a few days ago, no problems that were noticed. I will have to run some over the chrony to check the velocity. I do like the bisley grip for the heavy loads, makes it much more comfortable to shoot. I think my next purchase will be a stainless bisley in 44 mag.

Boolit Mold

Ex-lurker

Fine, I'm in .

I've been reading this site and casting for about 5 years now (I think that makes me one of those lurkers). It's great to have this resource, particuarly since I'm teaching myself.

Kris

Howdy from the PNW

Wow! This site is so huge I never saw this intro-lurker thread!

Old guy beginner here. Traded one of my bows for a Bighorn .50 and inherited some casting stuff. With you guy's help.... off I go!

headlong into yet another hobby. Amazing the wifee has stuck by me these 28 yrs (so far!)

Here's the result of my first beginnings:

500 S&W 440s with whatever lube dad left in his Lyman 450.

Got to lob a few down range last weekend. So far so good.

Thanx to ya'all for sharing your talents and secrets!

Boolit Mold

noob

Just started casting this week, Lurked A LOT to get the results I did from my first attempt. Now im picking up a sizer tomorrow from midway and i should have some ready to fire!

Boolit Mold
    I will post some pics soon so everyone can tell me what im doing wrong = )

Boolit Buddy
    Guess I'm in. I joined a few days ago cause it seemed like the best way to get an MP Mold. Been lurking here for a while though. I have been reloading for years but just recently decided to cast my own. Mainly for my handguns though. Around here it seems as if pistol ammo has gone either crazy or extinct. I enjoy it. Never expect to be pro. My current cast rounds seem to do what I want...they have returned me to the range with my 1911s! Considering buying more different molds so I can cast and load for some of my other handguns. All in all so far casting has been an enjoyable experience and rewarding hobby.

Hi all

Thought i would pop in and warm my hands around this nice warm lead furnace

Boolit Mold
    Hi, Guys - I just got here, too. I just started reloading a few months back and now I just bought some molds for casting. It's like I used to tell my millwrights - I'm a LOT better at dumb looks than good answers! I'm ready to learn!

I'm a "retarded" turbine outage planner. I was a pipe welder/machinist/millwright/crane operator/gofer/etc till I got to cripple to do the hands on and then I moved to the office.

I built my first 1911 in .45 last year - glad I had fairly cheap parts! I've learned that the hardest part of being retired is staying that way!

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast