WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Hello,

I joined to get some help. I've been shooting for about 45 years, reloading for about 2 years and I want to get into casting my own boolits. I have no clue where to start on the componants for casting. Looking at the different sizer and lubers as well. I'm going to start out with 45 LC and 41 Mag and if that goes well I'll take a swing at varmint rifle cartridges.

I got to thinking (scarey thought), a long time ago I used to only shoot lead at varmints, before I started using Vmax's, Varmint Grenades, etc., as I remember, the critters were just as dead then. lol

If someone can point be to a n00b laundry list of what's needed, I would appreciate it.

Eric

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

If someone can point be to a n00b laundry list of what's needed, I would appreciate it.
    That is largely contingent on your budget.
    Review the "Classics & Stickies" area for tons of threads about most everything to start.
    Mainly you need,,,,, lead, lead and more lead , a way to heat it, clean it if needed, a way to get it into the molds,, and molds to suit your needs.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    I got to thinking (scarey thought), a long time ago I used to only shoot lead at varmints, before I started using Vmax's, Varmint Grenades, etc., as I remember, the critters were just as dead then. Eric
    Welcome to CastBoolits Erik,

With store bought jacketed they are only dead, when you pour your own they are . . . Deader.

Here is a great place to start, it's must reading and it's free. From Ingot To Target by Glen E. Fryxell

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Download this book, even print it out cause you'll refer to it often.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Super Moderator

No more lurlking...

I bought some equipment & joined the forum. Awesome amount of knowledge here, and I appreciate the help I have received so far. Thanks!

Hello! I've enjoyed reading a lot of information on this website over the last few weeks, so I figured it's time to get signed up as a member. My dad has been casting boolits for many years, and I've helped him with resizing and reloading, but I'm just starting to do my own casting now. I'm starting off with casting for .45 ACP, .45 Colt, and .44 Mag. I've definitely caught the boolit casting fever.

Boolit Buddy

Little known fact....The only way a vampire can enter your house is if you invite them in.

Hello folk,
    I've been reloading pistol rounds for about 6 months now and i've been bitten by the boolit bug. I find reloading relaxing and I'm CHEAP. You probably won't see too many posts from me, most of the questions I have are easily found buy lurking.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Done lurking, registered.

Boolit Mold
    Edge of the Little Sandy Desert, Western Australia
    I'm the same, registered the other day and on the casting journey. No point in letting my lack of knowledge prevent me from joining in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuditch View Post
    I'm the same, registered the other day and on the casting journey. No point in letting my lack of knowledge prevent me from joining in.
    Welcome! You are right, boolit casters have been around since the year 1249, so it is about time you joined our fine 763 year old fraternity!

rl 1066
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Mold
    Well hello everyone. Just found this great site yesterday and could see no reason not to join.Started casting boolits for my dad when I was 10, (48 years ago)! Haven't cast or reloaded in about 10 years and figured it is time to get back into. Been using dad's 6 cavity mould for .357/.38 he used for fellow shooters on the aux. police force. Makes nice 158 grain round nose boolits, on a coleman stove and a cast iron cooking pot that holds about 10-15 pounds of lead. reload with a Lee Progressive 1000. Sure beats the single stage dad had. After just a few hours here looking around, I've learned a lot already! Looks like I have a WHOLE LOT MORE to learn and UNlearn old stuff dad told me. For starters, fluxing with sawdust instead of parrifin.

Quote Originally Posted by 89 shadow View Post
    Looks like I have a WHOLE LOT MORE to learn and UNlearn old stuff dad told me. For starters, fluxing with sawdust instead of parrifin.
    Sawdust works great! Sugar works great, too, as well as pine pitch and polyethylene sandwich bags. Nothing really wrong with paraffin. There are just lots of things that work well for reducing oxidized material floating in the lead pot when preparing your lead. Find one you like and go for it!

rl 1067
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Hello everyone,

after lurking for some months, yesterday I have joined this great forum. Thank you Ken, for register me manually.
    My name is hermann, live in Bavaria, started shooting in 1994 and reloading one year later. Last year I've bought a used Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull and began casting for this gun. I also own a Sharps and want to cast bullets for it.
    Maybe I can contribute a little bit, but nevertheless think to learn a lot here and
    improve my poor school english. I'm glad to be now a member of this forum.
    If you want to know more about me, feel free to ask.

Kind regards from Bavaria,
    Hermann

Hermann, welcome to the journey of learning to cast your own. It is a fun journey, although at times may seem a little expensive. That Sharps should be a lot of fun to cast for.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to CastBoolits Bouv,

Yep, you will learn alot here, I still do and I've been casting for 30 years or more & been a member here for over 5 years.

Your Engllish is fine, at least as good as mine and English is my only language.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Bouv;
    Welcome to Cast Boolits!

Several years ago (about fifteen) my son was stationed in Germany and lived in Bavaria (a small village named Markstef, as I remember). We spend a total of nine weeks there over three years. My wife and I enjoyed those times beyond measure. We spent a good deal of time in Bavarian's homes and got to really meet the great people there.

Glad to have you with us!

Dale53

Thank you for the welcome.

@Grandpas50AE: Maybe casting (and shooting) seems a little expensive, but its our hobby and we have a lot of fun. For the Sharps I'm working on black powder rounds, this makes more fun than with smokeless powder.

@Rick: Thank you, I'm learning by doing, but sometimes I need a dictionary.

@Dale53: Marktsteft is in Lower Franconia, about 250 Km from my home in Lower Bavaria. My wife an me have very good friends in Utah, we spend our honeymoon (1993) in the USA, it was fantastic!

All the Federales say
    They could have had him any day
    They only let him slip away
    Out of kindness I suppose

Let's hear it for old guns and new friends!
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

303british.com, thank you for your words.

Boolit Mold
    Just registered. SASS shooter here who just ordered some initial equipment to cast 454 rb for use in my 1858 Remingtons. Perhaps Big Lube molds will be next.

Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast