Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Grand Master

wiersy111;
    Note that there are (or soon will be) TWO editions currently available from Midway at discount prices:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Lym..._1-2-4_8-16-32

I can recommend the 3rd Edition without reservation. Frankly, it is so good that I would suggest getting it now and maybe considering the new (soon to be available) edition at a later date. Lyman has dropped some fine revolver moulds (still seen at gun shows, etc) and I doubt the new edition will have any information on these (and that will be a near CRIME). Hence, my suggestion to get the 3rd Edition, first). Most of the loads are pressure tested and VERY useful for both rifle and pistol.

Regarding the new, soon to be by Mike Venturino. I have a couple of Mike's books and they have been VERY useful to me. I am a particular fan of his book on the Single Action Colt Revolvers complete with loading details, etc including very good information on most all of the calibers with black powder. I suspect the new Lyman Manual by Mike will be quite good, also.

So, get the 3rd Edition while it is still available (it is rapidly disappearing from most sources). Then later, when you get a chance, check out the 4th Edition.

FWIW
    Dale53

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Welcome aboard to all the new guys. Don't forget to take advantage of the 20% discount on loob grooves, for the next hour!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    wiersy111;
    Note that there are (or soon will be) TWO editions currently available from Midway at discount prices:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Lym..._1-2-4_8-16-32

Regarding the new, soon to be by Mike Venturino. I have a couple of Mike's books and they have been VERY useful to me. I am a particular fan of his book on the Single Action Colt Revolvers complete with loading details, etc including very good information on most all of the calibers with black powder. I suspect the new Lyman Manual by Mike will be quite good, also.

So, get the 3rd Edition while it is still available (it is rapidly disappearing from most sources). Then later, when you get a chance, check out the 4th Edition.

FWIW
    Dale53
    GREAT! I had given up on there ever being a 4th edition. It being by Mike Venturino is another big plus. I wish Lyman was as attentive to the rest of their casting business.

John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub

Another new guy signing in....

I found this forum on Bullshop's webpage. I'm going to be a customer of his until I get up and running myself. I know didley squat about casting, but it's something I plan to get into.

A little about me: I'm an avid outdoorsman originally from California (don't hold that against me). I currently live in Wasilla, Alaska when I'm not deployed, as I am now. (Afghanistan) I'm in the 4th brigade, airborne 25th infantry division US Army, stationed at Fort Richardson.

Married, four kids (so far) and I love hunting, fishing, riding ATVs and snowmachines, motorcycles, hiking, camping, shooting, etc.

The guns I will be casting for once I get started are a Marlin 1895M (450 Marlin) and a S&W 460V. The rest of my guns are better suited to modern jacketed bullets. (1911 45 ACP, Marlin XS7 .243, Remington 770 .300 WM) I suppose I could probably cast for the 1911, and I may have a go at some slugs for the old Mossberg 500.

I'm an avid handloader, and currently about 75% of the ammo I fire is handloads. I usually only buy factory ammo if I need new brass.

I'm looking forward to learning the craft, and maybe someday I'll even be able to offer some words of wisdom of my own.

Boolit Grand Master

AKsoldier;
    First of all, I thank you, from the bottom of my heart for your service to your (and my) country. Thank you!

Secondly, the 1911 .45 ACP is PERFECT for cast bullets. I have shot well over 100,000 rounds of my cast bullets through a 1911. The 1911 is the ideal platform for cast bullets and the .45 ACP is an excellent cartridge for this work.

You have a variety of bullet forms to choose from (my choice is the H&G #68 200 gr SWC for both target and SERIOUS work). If you prefer the 230 gr weight (there is much to commend it) the Lee Truncated cone is an excellent candidate. It has the original weight, feeds well, and has a flat nose for better "knock down" power. If you must shoot the original round nose (not my choice) then the Lyman 452374 is a good one.

Keep in touch with us while you are deployed and after you get back.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Welcome again Matt!!!
    This would be a good place to ask about what boolit diameter for your 460 S&W.
    Blessings!!!
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master

Hey AKsoldier, Thank you for your service to this country and that .45acp is PERFECTLY suited to cast bullets! Dan is a great guy and he'll take care of you great as far as cast goes.

You can run cast throught that 300 winnie too but not at magnum velocities, still the more you shoot at paper the more familiar you get with the rifle!

and last but not least, don't expect to save any money by casting and reloading!!! WELCOME!!!!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Bub

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Gents, thanks for the welcome! I suppose the 1911 would be a prime candidate for casting - low velocity so there's not much risk of leading. I guess I just never really considered casting for it because I've been handloading so long for 45 ACP with jacketed bullets. That might actually be the best one to "cut my teeth" on for casting.

Dale53 - My 1911 is new - I'll be picking it up when I get home. It's a Para Ordnance hi-cap. (Got a deal on it - commemorative pistol for my brigade for this deployment) I'll probably try a few different bullet profiles with my handloads first to see what feeds, then I'll have a better idea of what boolit molds to get.

Dan - thanks! I'll do that.

Tazman - too late! I've already saved quite a bit of money handloading. But then, I'm a frugal fella when it comes to equipment anyway. I've been using the Lee anniversary kit for a few years now, and it works fine. It's probably paid for itself at least twice so far.

As for casting for the 300 WM, I have a good supply (about 500) of cheap jacketed bullets, most of which I've picked up at gun shows for practice. I'll use those for everyday shooting, and save my Swift A Frames and Nosler partitions for the hunting loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Gents, thanks for the welcome!

Tazman - too late! I've already saved quite a bit of money handloading. But then, I'm a frugal fella when it comes to equipment anyway. I've been using the Lee anniversary kit for a few years now, and it works fine. It's probably paid for itself at least twice so far.

As for casting for the 300 WM, I have a good supply (about 500) of cheap jacketed bullets, most of which I've picked up at gun shows for practice. I'll use those for everyday shooting, and save my Swift A Frames and Nosler partitions for the hunting loads.
    LOL! You're in good company here AK. BTW when you get home if you want to try some 180gr cast gas checked heat treated cast bullets in that 300 winnie give me a shout and I'll stick a few in the mail to you..................just for going to the sandbox.

Art
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Vendor Sponsor
    Aksoldier,
    Welcome to a great forum and thank for your service from an aging Devil Dog. When you get home, PM me your address and your first box of lead ingots is on me as a way of saying thanks and welcome home. With 4 kids you don't need to be bying your lead, I'll send you some and you spend the lead money on something for the kids. PM me your shipping address and some lead is on the way to you

Boolit Bub

Wow!

Talk about a welcome, I just got here and already ya'll are offering to send me loading components!

I've been on a LOT of forums (internet is my substitute for TV) and I've never had this kind of welcome before.

Just out of curiosity, I got on midway today and threw everything I would need to start casting in a cart, including some lead alloy and antimony, and a couple of molds and it comes to $178. Not bad! I think that may be where some of my tax return dollars go this year.

Tazman, John - I just might take you up on that. By the way - I don't have much load data for cast boolits yet, I understand there's a lot of it in the Lyman manual. Is that one that should be on my list?

Boolit Bub
    I just had another thought - I'll bet a round nose non-expanding cast boolit in the .243 would be a good option for predators with minimal pelt damage if I could figure out a relatively light load. Might have to look into that too.

Boolit Mold
    Hey everyone.

I've been lurking for a few months now and figured I'd join up and make at least one post.

I'm a newbie to casting with about 200-300 rounds (for .44 mag, 240gr hollow-point semi-wadcutter) made so far out of one of the small Lee ladle pots using 50/50 clip on and stick on wheel weights and a little surplus tin/lead solder. I'm also relatively new to reloading, having reloaded about 1500 rounds for my 9mm (500 berrys plated, 1000 hand-cast lead purchased locally).

I am based in New Zealand where quite a few people have firearms licenses, but very few of them have the extra endorsement required to shoot pistols. I got into pistol shooting (no competition yet, mostly just for fun at the local range) a couple of years ago and bought a second hand Taurus PT99. I now have a Taurus Model 44 to feed as well so the quest to make sure I can cheaply shoot as often as I want began. A fellow shooter (a cowboy action shooter and black powder nut) generously gave me all the spare gear he had in order to get me started and I haven't shot a jacketed bullet since.

Anyway, just thought I'd sign up and use the opportunity to say thanks to everyone here for creating a forum with so much good information and helpfulness.

If anyone has any questions at all about New Zealand (given that I'm sure we hear more about the outside world than you hear about us!) then just drop me a PM and I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers,

Jono from NZ

Boolit Master

Hey Man,

Yup, Lyman cast bullet manual is a good one and another one is Modern Reloading by Richard Lee the newest edition. That one has more powder bullet combinations than the Lyman book has and some really good info on cast bullets too.

Art

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Talk about a welcome, I just got here and already ya'll are offering to send me loading components!

I've been on a LOT of forums (internet is my substitute for TV) and I've never had this kind of welcome before.

Just out of curiosity, I got on midway today and threw everything I would need to start casting in a cart, including some lead alloy and antimony, and a couple of molds and it comes to $178. Not bad! I think that may be where some of my tax return dollars go this year.

Tazman, John - I just might take you up on that. By the way - I don't have much load data for cast boolits yet, I understand there's a lot of it in the Lyman manual. Is that one that should be on my list?
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Boolit Master

WELCOME Jono from NZ!!!
    ——Townsend Whelen

—- George Orwell

Hello from central Kansas. Been reloading handgun ammo for about 9 months and have decided that I want to start casting. I have been acquiring tools and materials for the last 6 months and hope to try everythin out this weekend. I have a Lee 4-20, a few lee 2 cavity molds, and about 100 lbs of aircraft ballast weights of unknown hardness.

I enjoy shooting and reloading quite a bit and hope to gain some useful knowledge from this forum.

Boolit Master

OK quit lurking and come on in. I've been reloading a long time and am still learning a lot! so don't be shy. I thought i knew quite a bit until i came here, then i relized how large this hobby is and how little i know. My eyes are opened to a hobby that has no boundries.

Boolit Grand Master

khamill2000;
    Welcome to THE forum! I have been casting bullets for nearly sixty years and am still learning.

Glad to have you on the show.

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    Been an unregistered lurker for awhile. Very good site, lots of good info.

I cast my own boolits for my handguns.

I use Bullets for my rifles.

ALL my ammo is home rolled!

And yes, I'm a Canuck........ with Guns!

Boolit Mold

Ok-ok

Been lurking for 2-3 weeks, Im here now......ive lost trac of the hours spent reading all the hundreds or thousands of pages of posts here

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast