Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Bub
    New member from Salem Oregon saying howdy. I have zero experience, so expect a lot of basic questions.

I did come across a deal on a old Saeco Smelter, Lyman 2 cavity 38cal SWC 150 grain, and a RCBS Lube A Matic at a reasonable price. Now I just need to learn how the heck to use them.

Anyone withing a 50-100 mile radius of Salem like walking a newbie through the basics?

Thanks
    Last edited by gtivan; 03-25-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Scootshop View Post
    hello

I need some help. Have just started casting for Cowboy action Shooting with good results. Cast for 45 colt and 38 Special. Want to start casting for 223. Where do I start? I am just punching paper with the AR. Mold? Sizer and gas check installer what lee one to get? Anyone point me to a thread on the subject? tried to search and my screen just showed a error. I hope to learn a lot here.

Thanks in advance

Scootshop
    Welcome to the board, I heartily recommend reading thru the classics and stickies, there is a ton of info in there.

Start threads and go at the subjects one at a time and we WILL get you there.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Mold
    OK Question? I just recently got a single cavity mould, it's a Lyman 257312U gc ,and I'm presuming, the letter U means undersize,as it seems to whistle right through my 258 sizing die,pisks up the lube OK, but only seems to size on the bottom band, front band mike's .257" is this a candidate for Beagling?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BULLY HAYES View Post
    OK Question? I just recently got a single cavity mould, it's a Lyman 257312U gc ,and I'm presuming, the letter U means undersize,as it seems to whistle right through my 258 sizing die,pisks up the lube OK, but only seems to size on the bottom band, front band mike's .257" is this a candidate for Beagling?

If your gun requires a boolet bigger than .257, then yes beagling will help it.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Mold
    I have been a reloader for over 25 years, and have looked into casting for almost as long. I am now going to look for a mold for .308 and have a serious go at it.

Boolit Master

Thumbs down im 6.5 mike

hi been lurking for about 10 months what to thank yall for all the info on cast & everything related to it. had been looking for this info & found you by pure luck . plan on loading for 6.5x55 7mm 8mm 3040 krag 303 sav & 30-30 in rifle 38 357 44spl 44-40 & 45acp in wheel guns. yall may not hear from me much because of working on miss river but ill be around. gun control -1ST - ROUND ON TARGET.

Hello folks. I guess I will come out of the shadows and introduce myself. I have been reloading since the early 60's and started casting about 5 years later. I wish there was a place like this back then. Al Gore didn't invent the Internet yet. Learned my stuff from books and trial and error. Elmer Kieth and Jack O'Connor were my hero's. Every time I get a gun in a new caliber I have to get loading dies and molds all over again. My latest is a Great Western in 45 LC and will be loading and test firing today.

There is so much information on this site it will be some time before I get through it all. Good job guys and keep shooting.

bj

Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, long time lurker here, finally joined. Got into handloading around 2.5 years ago and got into casting earlier this year. So far I've got around 1000 pounds of WW & rendered a little over half of that into ingots. Reading this board has helped more than you will know, just about every question I had had already been answered here. That little "search" button up there is a powerful tool. A good friend of mine has been a mentor through all this too, anything that I can't find answers for here, he can usually come up with a solution.

I'm hooked, and hooked hard, I'm almost constantly on the lookout for new sources of lead. There's a boat salvage yard near Hertford NC that has a sailboat keel I want. Tire shops around here already know me and sell me 5 gallon buckets for either 15 cents a pound, or 20 bucks a bucket, depending on where i go. I blame ya'll for my new addiction, and I also thank you guys for it too

Boolit Bub
    Hi from northeast Pennsylvania! I'm new to casting, but I've always wanted to do it.

Boolit Man

Hey from North East San Antonio... Been reloading for 20 or so years and making my own fishing sinkers about 30 years.... So far it seems to have been a pretty easy transition and now I have the bug. Don't think I'll be buying ammo any time soon..

Hello from beautiful downtown Fairbanks Alaska! I've been lurking here for a couple months, learning a lot and have been collecting lead. I've got over 4- 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights (just got one bucket today for free ) and scored on 1- 21lb Linotype Pig. I messed up last weekend and passed up 2- 21lb linotype pigs at a gunshow for 25 bucks each. Oh well, I've got plenty of lead to get started. I'll start out casting for my 45 Colt Redhawk and 454 Casull/45 Colt levergun and then 44 and maybe even 38. Been watching here and ebay for molds. I'd like to get 255gr and about a 360gr or so 45 molds. One for plinkin and one for killin. Any input is welcome.

I'm a mod over at Alaska Outdoors Directory Forums and I see a few familiar guys around here like Ranger Rick. I've got a few of his boolits in the basement and am going to help my Pastor load up some of Ricks 535gr .452 Thumpers for his 460 S&W. I got started reloading a couple years ago and am looking forward to smelting some lead muffins and casting some boolits this summer.

Thanks for this site and to all of you who contribute so much.

Perry

Boolit Grand Master

Perry,
    Welcome to the group. It's a lively bunch here with LOTS of good information and LOTS of good experience.

Dale53

Hi all,
    Been watching and reading for a while. Decided I'd jump in and check the water. Been reloading and casting for 35+years. Still have and old Lyman 450 that I got in probably 72 or 73. Still works as good as ever. I cast 5 different pistol bullets, and 2 rifle bullets, as well as minie and round balls for a front stuffer. Enjoy reading all the posts. Lot of varied experience. Thanks to all

Boolit Mold
    OK!! I'm in and this is my question. I shoot a .58 Enfield 3 band musket. After trying many different Minie"balls and powder charges I finally found a combination that works. It's the RCBS .575 Hodgdon. I am also an old retired navy diver with high frequency hearing loss and my co-shooters at the range tell me that the bullets whistle when they go down range. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? They aren't tumbling because they cut a nice hole in the target and group very well.

Boolit Mold
    New member from Allentown PA. Smelted my first ingots today after work.

Boolit Grand Master

speedracer211;
    Welcome to the asylum!! This IS the place!

Dale53

In Remembrance

OK, another lurker has arrived. Let the aggravation begin.

Boolit Bub
    I've been lurking for a while myself. Nice place you guys have here.

Boolit Mold
    I've learned so much reading old post that I haven't had time to post. My collection of stuff is growing and I hope to get casting soon.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, you flushed me out of the British Columbia underbrush. Don't do any casting but was interested in shooting cast so I picked up a box of 800 7mm GC 145 grainers and so here I am. Haven't shot any yet. Very soon

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast