WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Boolit Mold
    The barrel is .4515 and the ACP cylinder is .450. The bullet is .452

Why does Ruger cut the cylinders so tight? Is it sloppy quality work or is it just for jacketed ammo?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rjh245 View Post
    The barrel is .4515 and the ACP cylinder is .450. The bullet is .452

Why does Ruger cut the cylinders so tight? Is it sloppy quality work or is it just for jacketed ammo?

I don't own a revolver yet so can't really say what is causing the leading. If you ask your question here you will better answers. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?8-Cast-Boolit s
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Thank you Robert for getting my registration complete. I've been in the chat room for a few days and unable to post to the site, but Robert has all that fixed now. Been lurking for a short time and decided to jump in with both feet. Been busy reading the "stickies" and have a Lee IV-20 pot arriving soon as well as a .45acp mold 220g SWC.

I'm still going to need a lube/sizer I guess and Lord knows what else. All the guys in chat have been most helpful. Anyhow: Hello!

"I'm just a 12 year old cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"

Boolit Bub
    Another lurker here. Started off reloading, decided to take the next step and move into casting. Put a few basic items on my christmas wish list (Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, Lee 20 lb pot, Lee 2 cavity mold, lyman ingot mold and a few other bits) . Read the chapters in the Lyman book, read a piece from this site called "From Ingot to Target" and watched a fair number of youtube videos too.
    Quite a lot of stuff to learn. But then I then just decided the best thing to do is just give it a go.
    Picked up some ready to cast lead alloy from my local reloading store, cleaned, lubed and smoked the mold, melted some lead, fluxed it and had a go at casting. A little tricky at first as its not easy to see the spout on the lee pot without stooping, but it got better. Made about 160 bullets. Had intended it to just be an exercise and was just going to melt them at the end but they look pretty good.

Not sure if mold temp was too low/high. Bullets seemed to be nicely formed, pretty shiny with no frost or wrinkles. sprue took about 10 seconds to get fully frosted.

When I put the rest of the lead into ingots, the first set were shiny, the rest were frosted.
    From what I understand, thats a sign of too hot a mold with an alloy that contains antimony. not really an issue with an ingot.

The reason for the long winded preamble above is that my bullets were not frosted. The Lee mold instructions seem to indicate that a bit of frost is desirable. Not sure if that is because of their tumble lube, if it is because their aluminum molds are known to get pretty hot or something else. Other things i read indicate that you dont want frosted.

From the sprue times I dont think my molds were cold, but then I dont have a baseline. So do I want frosty or not frosty? The bullets I cast are pretty shiny
    Last edited by fragman; 12-28-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I'm done lurkin. I joined up yesterday. Just getting into casting myself. I'm waiting on a thermometer that I ordered Sat. then I'm off. I must say..I've read a wealth of info over the last month on here and I want to thank you all for that and letting me join. This is only my 3rd post but why aren't they showing up in my post count?

Boolit Buddy
    Woops,.there's one now. Maybe posts in the test section don't count.

Boolit Bub

Cool

New to these forums.

Got Mausers to feed.

Cheers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flylot View Post
    Thank you Robert for getting my registration complete. I've been in the chat room for a few days and unable to post to the site, but Robert has all that fixed now. Been lurking for a short time and decided to jump in with both feet. Been busy reading the "stickies" and have a Lee IV-20 pot arriving soon as well as a .45acp mold 220g SWC.

I'm still going to need a lube/sizer I guess and Lord knows what else. All the guys in chat have been most helpful. Anyhow: Hello!

"I'm just a 12 year old cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
    Just a suggestion trying A H&G#68 200gr.SWC may help with the leading issues,I've shot that for many years now still sizing to .452

Btw welcome to the forum glad to see another Texan
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Mold
    I am sorry for lurking but I have a disease that is dangerous. It is called GAS, I am sure you have heard of it. It can lead a person to lurk around the fringes of many different web sights having to do with guns and reloading. GAS, or Gun Acquisition Syndrome is easy to catch and hard to overcome. I found that because of this GAS, reloading was my only option due to the amount of lead I was consuming. Great to be a member of this elite group.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the site.

gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flylot View Post

I'm still going to need a lube/sizer I guess and Lord knows what else.
    You don't necessarily need a lubesizer. I actually retired the one I have and switched to Lee sizer dies and tumble lubing. It's actually quicker IMO and sizes more uniformly.

Boolit Bub

Hi all - new (former) lurker.
    I'm truly amazed at the vast amount of great information on this site. I can and spend countless hours ready the posts. Maybe one day I'll have something worth posting.

John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bottomline View Post
    Hi all - new (former) lurker.
    I'm truly amazed at the vast amount of great information on this site. I can and spend countless hours ready the posts. Maybe one day I'll have something worth posting. John
    hehe . . . You just did.

Welcome to CastBoolits John.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Hello, just signed up. Used to reload and cast bullets years ago. Just getting back into both.

Boolit Mold
    I joined some time back but this is my first post. I'm casting with a Lee 356-120 TC mold for 9mm, using the Lee .356 sizing die and tumble lubing with LLA and liquid JW. The second batch of boolits turned out great (the first batch got re-melted), and shot great out of a Kahr CW9 and a Ruger SR9. I want to thank everyone here for all the fantastic information. I know my success so far is only due to what I have learned from the people on this site. Again, thank you and as I keep going i will share what I learn along the way.

Boolit Mold

old dog

After being away from shooting, reloading and casting for nearly 20 years, I'm getting back into it. Shot a lot of lead back in the 80's in IHMSA (handgun silhouette) and CBA. These days my main interest is IDPA shooting and I'm working through 3k or so of cast .45s of various weights. I recently hooked up with an old casting buddy to talk about loading a heavy bullet 9mm.

Joe Fleming

Boolit Master
    Here's some.
    Attachment 132346

.308 Win. 160 gr. sized .308. Haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, too cold. Tomorrow maybe. These were cast by a friend since I don't have any casting/sizeing tools yet. My "M" die came today however.

Loaded over 10 grns of Unique.

Boolit Mold
    I started looking into reloading about 2 years ago. At that time I began reading books and online articles about the benefits and to gain general knowledge. I then began researching equipment to purchase and in doing that I found this site about a year ago. I actually joined at that time, and this is my first post, because I was so impressed with the knowledge of all of the members and the brotherhood that there is on this site. I was immediately impressed with the generosity of so many of the fellow members to newbies or veterans alike. I have read countless threads about what products people use and like the best and I have spent the last year trying to acquire what I wanted on a budget. As soon as I can find some large pistol primers I'm finally ready to get started reloading and I'm looking forward to casting my own bullets in the future.

Now I can officially say I'm not a lurker anymore.

Boolit Mold

Greetings all, been lurking for a couple of months now and learning a lot from the forum. As you already now, there is a lot of experience here and it is great to see how people are always willing to help others out. I hope to keep reading and learning and eventually give back to the community. Thanks to all in advance for your help!
    I have the capacity to learn from my mistakes, and I will learn a lot today.

I've been interested in casting for awhile now,this site has helped me gain the knowledge to try to do it, Just gathering all the stuff up now.
    Thank you for all information you share.

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast