Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Been lurking for a few weeks about ready to take the lunge into cast boolits. I've been reloading for a lil less than a year, starting to shoot even more cast bullets look to be the ticket.

Boolit Mold
    Hi from UKbeen lurking for a while and now officially touched by the CB community What a resource you have here!
    I love to hunt, unfortunately .357 is not a legal deer cal. here.Ok for fox and rabbit so that will have to do for now, just have to get a 45/70!
    Just getting into casting so will be asking lots of questions. Got two moulds coming, a double lee 158gn + RCBS 35-200-FN (cheap) so get ready!! Had good homeload results at 100yrds with jacketed privi but want to go the DIY lead route....

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Welcome aboard. We have several UK members here, including a staff member!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Howdy, new guy from in Kentucky here, been lurking for a little while now. New to this casting business, got my first wheel weight ingots made last weekend. Hoping to get molds for 38/357 and 30 cal soon.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi all. As per my normal MO, I've been lurking here for some years now before finally pulling the trigger today.
    Been casting for close to 20 years now so I can offer some value here (although I'm by no means an expert). With the way this country's direction is pointed in, as far as firearms, I'm looking into casting calibers that I have only reloaded with store bought bullets in the past.

Boolit Mold
    hi all i am another one from the uk I have started to build a swaging press to eventually swage for .300 win and .270 so pics to follow of that build but i have also come on here to seek out knowledge on casting as i am looking at getting a lever action but also just been granted a .357 revolver at the moment i am trying to source a smith in model 586 or 686 so want to cast for that also.
    hopefully i will be joining in on some posts shortly just trying to wade through all the information on here to understand my way forward. atb wayne

Boolit Mold
    Found you fairly recently. This forum come highly recommended from some others I belong to and/or read. Saved some lead that I got too much zinc in after not reading the sorting thread until after my first batch of WW smelting. Pretty much did everything I shouldn't have, short of hurting myself.

Have a lot more to read but I have already learned a fair amount here.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMEMT View Post
    Saved some lead that I got too much zinc in after not reading the sorting thread until after my first batch of WW smelting. Pretty much did everything I shouldn't have, short of hurting myself.

Have a lot more to read but I have already learned a fair amount here.
    Welcome!
    Yeah, as lead wheel weights become a thing of the past, contamination from the very similar appearing zinc weights is getting to be a major problem. When you do find zinc wheel weights hang onto them because the zinc alloy is useful for making zinc boolits. Zinc boolits made with Zamak alloy were used by reloaders in the United States 70 years ago back during World War Two when lead wasn't available. But keep looking for lead and get as much as you can before it is gone.

rl 1,170
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello from Georgia. I'm just trying to absorb all the info I can. I'm going to see if I can get myself a written manual made at office depot for the "from ingot to target" guide.

I found this place in 2010, I had never cast anything in my life. Within a short while I had learned enough to jump with both feet into casting boolits. Very fun and rewarding, learned a lot more about reloading (which I though I knew enough about). Even built a couple projects of my own to further the hobby along. I'll be joining officially at the end of the month, no more lurking.

Last edited by rattletrap1970; 09-24-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Fine. I registered. Now, I am off to start my own thread!

I'm in! Great place glad I found it. I've been loading 9mm and .45 for about a year and reloaded approx 6k 9mm and 3k .45. I have been most loading .45 because it is so much easier to load than 9. Just this past weekend starting casting, and really enjoy being able to be self sufficient. I purchased a Lee 4 20, .452 230g 6 banger, turkey fryer, alox, sizing die and .... (Just don't tell me wife) I casted/loaded/shot 250 rounds this weekend and and had 100% run rate, not issues!

My next goal is to learn more about lead alloy hardness, crimp, presser and see what effect that have on my performance and gear.

-BMac

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to CastBoolits BMac,

Nice start but do yourself a favor and for the time being concentrate more on making the boolits properly fit the firearm they will be fired in before you get wrapped around BHN. Second favor to yourself, forget all the nonsense you hear about "hardcast". Too hard is the second leading cause of poor accuracy and barrel leading.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Welcome to CastBoolits BMac,

Nice start but do yourself a favor and for the time being concentrate more on making the boolits properly fit the firearm they will be fired in before you get wrapped around BHN. Second favor to yourself, forget all the nonsense you hear about "hardcast". Too hard is the second leading cause of poor accuracy and barrel leading.

Rick
    Size matters and softness counts. Had to learn that one the hard way bought lead that was to to hard and even though the boolit was sized right got a ton of leading. But this site set me straight with all the stickies and excellent post. When I went back for more lead I asked the right questions and it turns out the yard guy knows a thing or two about casting boolits, got the right lead that time and no more leading issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    Size matters and softness counts. Had to learn that one the hard way bought lead that was to to hard and even though the boolit was sized right got a ton of leading. But this site set me straight with all the stickies and excellent post. When I went back for more lead I asked the right questions and it turns out the yard guy knows a thing or two about casting boolits, got the right lead that time and no more leading issues.

cbrick and 62chevy, Thanks for the info. "Size matters and softness counts" LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Ok Ok I came!!!!!! Been lurking a few weeks since I started looking into casting my own. Haven't done any yet, but have been sorting wheel weights and hope to smelt them this weekend! I have been reloading for about a yr and a half, and want to cast my own as a cheaper alternative. A little about me. I have been hunting since the age of 12,so I am familiar with rifles, and like shooting them. Just a few weeks ago, took the plunge and bought a handgun. I am not a very good shot, so I started shooting. But paying .36 per round gets expensive fast, and being on limited income.....u get the picture! I acquired about 180lbs of wheel weights, and bought a lee .356 125 grain TL design. So am sure I will have plenty of questions! I plan on casting straight wheel weights, and using the 45-45-10 lube I read about on this forum, and tumble lube them. (Thanks Recluse!) I appreciate the wealth of info on the forum, and hopefully someday I will be wise enough to contribute! Until then, I read! and read and read some more!!

Boolit Bub
    I've lurked for a few years but wanted to try to learn a bit before posting. I'm walking through the basics of reloading and have a friend here locally whose been very kind to take me under his wing. I'm starting out with .45-70 and will move on to other calibers.

I'm original from Kentucky but now in Minnesota. My presses are mostly Hollywood with a couple of Pacifics.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kitchen View Post
    I've lurked for a few years but wanted to try to learn a bit before posting. I'm walking through the basics of reloading and have a friend here locally whose been very kind to take me under his wing. I'm starting out with .45-70 and will move on to other calibers.

I'm original from Kentucky but now in Minnesota. My presses are mostly Hollywood with a couple of Pacifics.

You're lucky to have someone take you under his wing and help teach you the basics. I have to learn on my own by reading this site, youtube and the loading manuals I've collected. Every time someone say they reload I start talking about it and then get the 1000 yard stare in their eyes.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    Hello all, new guy here. Joined the cast brotherhood today.

Just recently my dad, nephew, and myself all bought Ruger .44mag Blackhawks and I have begun casting for them. Lee bottom pour furnace and Lee 240 gr tumble lube mold with 45/45/10 lube. Still trying to figure out how to stop the leading. Nephew collected and bought several hundred pounds of lead but he has no idea what its mixture is. He randomly bought/collected ANYTHING lead! I am still working through all the variables to eliminate one at a time. I am starting to really question the lead we have. May need to get some new stuff that I know the content of. The journey has just begun. It's good to be here!
    Praise God and pass me some more ammunition!
    Common sense ain't so common anymore!

I am new to this also but from all the threads that I have read I would start with one variable and work from that point.

If I had to make a list of where to start:

1. Slug Barrel - check this measurement against your cast boolits. Someone correct me if I am wrong but you want your bullets to be 0.01 - 0.02 larger. Some firearms don't like a particular design but I am sure others have suggestions on their favorites.

2. Hardness - get some kit or tool to test hardness. Only then can you adjust your lead to where you want it.

3. Read

4. Cast

5. Shoot

6. Repeat steps 3 thru 5 and adjust. Most of all have fun!

YouTube has some great videos on slugging your barrel. Also lots of great threads here to read again and again.

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast