RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading while distracted

Boolit Master

Reloading while distracted

In my case,I was distracted by hip pain.Still wanting to load 38 Special I kept going till I double checked scale. Here I was @ 5 grs of Titegroup which is near max for 110 jhp. Scale reading should have been set @ 4.0 grs. Thank goodness only had 9 rounds loaded.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't take much. No phone or TV when I'm loading.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Glad that you caught it before it could become dangerous

There are only those that have and those that will.

First sighter in a match boom. Smoke pouring out around bolt. Could not open the bolt, scratch head, 168 gr cast with R-7, thousands of rounds down range, prior to the event. I had to pull the barrel to get the bolt out of the XP-100 7 TCU. Remembering back, we had went out to dinner, had no ammo loaded for the next day, so late in the evening, came in, started reloading then son and daughter came in, dog and wife, came in, etc. Not much unusual in that. So pullled bullets, exact correct powder weight, so reached up on the powder shelf to pour the measured charge back into the can, what I had in my hand was the can of AA#7. Oh, boy. After that #7 mixup, all the AA powders went on one shelf all other powders went on another shelf and like or similar numbers got moved to opposite ends of the shelves. Prior, to to the event, in my engineering, style of sorting, all the like or similar #s were put together. Not ever a good idea, as I found out. Just by sheer luck the #7 switch involved a 233 size case in a Remington bolt action. Any lesser strength action may well have let go.

Watch out for the #7 switch with cast bullets. Both powders are great if correctly used, but switch the AA #7 pistol powder for the R#7 rifle powder and bad things can and do happen.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Moderator Emeritus

Pain, headaches, etc are all distractions we don't really think about. I haven't been able to reload in quite awhile because of those. Until those issues are finally addressed (hopefully) then the reloading can start again. You have to be aware of how something as simple as a pain reliever reacts with your body. I know if i have to take something extra ( doc calls them breakout pills which is just an additional boost of my normal 24/7 rx) then I do nothing that requires extra thought or consideration. I have found on to many occasions that I make simple mistakes when off my "normal " routine. Things you would never think twice about but after time as passed you are thinking why did I do that? Be careful folks.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy

Probably all here have been adversely affected by distracted driving, and probably all drivers have allowed distractions while driving. The same apples to reloading. Failure to pay attention while reloading can cause harm to those near and dear to us! Thanks for the reminder --we need to avoid complacency!

Boolit Master
    Reloading while distracted. Only if your comfortable having an open bar at your shooting range! Don't do it!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been very lucky. 100’s of thousands of reloads and only two mistakes that I found in time before something no so good would have happened.

The “good fortune” I have had is due to luck and using auto indexing progressive presses for the bulk of my reloading.

I never have a TV going and reload alone…no pets, kids, others unless I am training someone.

Good reminder to be careful and safe
    Don Verna

I always have good rock and roll playing but nothing else going on. If nature calls or I need a coffee refill I finish the round I'm working on then get up.

Boolit Grand Master

Distractions can be disastrous not only reloading but in many other daily things.

Boolit Buddy
    In 1977 I went from loading .44 mag to .45 auto and forgot to change the scale. WW2 1911 stayed together but the barrel bulged so much I could not get it out of the gun.

Years later as an Army 2LT my armorer got it out and replaced it with an olive drab barrel, which was current issue at the time. So now I have a 1911 that is a light blue except for an OD barrel in it, and it still works fine.

Boolit Master
    Unless training someone, I reload alone. The only possible interruption is my wife. If she interrupts, I finish whatever cycle I'm on before leaving the bench. Distractions at the loading bench mean I start over and recheck everything. I made the mistake of having two similar powder cans on the bench at the same time once and dumped the powder in the measure in the wrong can. As I was putting the can back on the shelf I noticed it was not the powder I had in the measure. I had to dump about a half pound of powder.

I need to sit in total silence when reloading...no radio, tv, computer...etc...AND NO ALCOHOL. (except denatured when cleaning equipment....you know what I mean)

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

We've all been there ONCE. Be thankful...you won't let it happen again. Thanks for all the fine confessions added. It helps us all.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Moderator Emeritus

It is great (in a sick sort of way ) when one makes a mistake and is able to go back in time and note "WHY it happened". Eg., the mix-up of "7's" powders in Post #4 and other snafus one can retrace their snafu. My real concern are the Polltergeists or ?????? when "it happened " and I have not any clue as to its cause? Before I got my Dillon 550b, I loaded .38 S&W mid-range for my S&W 52 (Bullseye shooting) and had two wooden load blocks. I loaded but one block at a time, and 1st prepared all cases -- decapping first; then primed; then powder. One case at a time, I hand-sat my wadcutter on each case rim as I checked -- with flashlight help -- the powder level. I then took the atopped-with bullet charged case and simply seated bullet. FOOL-PROOF, right? One eve shooting I had a guaranteed double charge! Another time, I heard a see-pop; the bullet went (this a rifle) a few inches down the barrel, period. From the absence or residue it was clear there was no powder in that case, and I was ever happy that I "caught it" and using a cleaning rod tapped back out the bullet. BUT -- I was too a-scared to shoot any more that eve, as, "what are the chances the next round might be a DOUBLE-charge???" By the way, I pulled about 70 rounds, and all were spot-on -- no empties or doubles.
    BUT, AGAIN: The cause(s)???????????????????????
    geo

I've had to 'un load' rounds over the years.
    Now days, I'm sure to be clear headed, and free of any distractions when I sit down at the bench.
    My powder is stored in a cabinet on the other side of the shop and I only take out one kind at a time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Catch ... and I'm so glad you caught it when you did !

In my book ...if you catch it , then it's just a little ... faux pas

Thanks for the reminder ... when it comes to reloading ... you can't be Too Careful !
    Anything that distracts you can do it ...

I also hope you are feeling better now ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Glad you didn’t have a bad accident.

Powder charging is critical, for that I request to be left alone from my family.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Grand Master
    I really need something going on in the background when I reload, be it TV or the radio(CD, XM, whatever). Pretty well been that way since I started reloading. Not real loud though. Many times I have been doing something and stop for a moment and realize a song I really like is just over, not realizing it was even playing, I was focused elsewhere

Boolit Master
    ive done the same thing. seriously distracted, thought I would reload some to put out of my mind nonsense going on with my family. in my case I tried to fit 18 grains of be86 into 41mag shells. it fit and bullet seated but then I got lucky and after loading just shy of 20 rounds I started thinking I better recheck the load guide. good thing.
    those loads might have blown up my gun and my body. my inertia bullet puller broke, thanks, hornady. so I put them in plastic bag and painted a big skull and crossbones with the load and danger info on both sides with sharpie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast