RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

For those who have rendering equipment, (I'm on a personal crusade to erase the word smelting as it isn't what we do. We recycle) ladle casting from your rendering pot uses energy but works. Don't let a lack of an electric pot hold you back.

For those lusting after a ladle, if you're at all handy you can make a very serviceable ladle from a stainless steel spoon. I like round bottom measuring spoons. A vise makes this simpler, but you can use a nail and hammer to tap (bash) a pour spout into one or both sides. Then a length of slit 3/4 dowel for an insulating handle. Drill and bolt, JB Weld, or just wrap the handle tight with wire to secure the handle. Mine cost 29 cents at a thrift store.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PtMD989 View Post
    New guy from Mi thumb. Been lurking for awhile finally joined. I'm working on gathering my stuff to cast boolits for my T/C Black Diamond.50 cal.
    Welcome aboard !!! I spent most of my life in the thumb area except for 8 years over in the Muskegon and Grand Haven area, 5 years in NYC and now retired in West Virginia.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

It's a small world. I live in southern Tuscola co. We've vacationed over in Grand Haven a few times. It's beautiful on that side of Mi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It's a small world. I live in southern Tuscola co. We've vacationed over in Grand Haven a few times. It's beautiful on that side of Mi.

August 4 was always a good time in Grand Haven celebrating the Coast Guards Birthday. Closed off Washington St. for 3 blocks and put a carnival there for a week.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    August 4 was always a good time in Grand Haven celebrating the Coast Guards Birthday. Closed off Washington St. for 3 blocks and put a carnival there for a week.
    We missed that by 2 weeks. The lighted musical fountain is cool. Checking out Fishermans Pier and the Boardwalk is fun. The charters hit the kings good that week. In Muskegon we hit the amusement park and toured the USS Silversides. It takes a little bit to get used to those Mi lefts.

Boolit Master

We missed that by 2 weeks. The lighted musical fountain is cool. Checking out Fishermans Pier and the Boardwalk is fun. The charters hit the kings good that week. In Muskegon we hit the amusement park and toured the USS Silversides. It takes a little bit to get used to those Mi lefts.

LOL they are a bit different left turn. I haven't been back for more than a day or two since 1992, mostly to Muskegon with the Out Laws Burton for my side.
    Lead bullets Matter

Hi everyone!! I have been enthusiastically casting boolits for about a year and a half now. I want to thank all the contributors for posting so much of their many many years of experience on this forum. I've been learning so much from this site but unable to post for the longest time due to a problem with my email confirmation and the castboolits forum. After a year of off and on attempts to get my account unlocked to be able to post, I'm finally here!!!

I'm looking forward to direct interactions with everyone here!

Boolit Bub
    First post - glad to be here. Been reading this forum for years but just started casting.

Boolit Mold
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking on the forums for a while now. I've been casting round ball for my .50 Hawken for a couple of years now. I also used to reload quite a few jacketed bullets for .308 win, but that was 20 years ago.

Last week, I picked up a never fired Marlin 336CS (Made in 1992). Now I want to start shooting boolits. I'm finding all kinds of great info here, as I try to figure out all the different molds, sizers, gas checks, etc.

Thanks,
    Greg

Well I guess since you asked so nice, no more lurking. Found this site while struggling with a lyman 330grn Gould mold, darn hollow points. The amount I have learned lurking here has been amazing. I think I might be hooked.

Longtime lurker, finally decided to join up. Right now I've got an RCBS bottom pour with PID, three 9mm molds (just got a brand new Lee 6 cav 120 TC I've yet to try), and some basic PC supplies I've successfully used. My main goal is to reduce cost so I can put a higher volume of handgun rounds down range, and up my skill level. Looking forward to learning a lot more from you guys!

Boolit Bub
    Hello,
    I've been reloading for a number of years in several calibers, but using j-word bullets and mostly for rifles. A few years ago I started buying MBC cast boolits for pistols and had been satisfied, but I'm always yearning for more. This forum has come up many times when searching for answers to questions posed via the internet. In the last few months I have been wanting to cast my own boolits and have been reading posts here voraciously. I've also read "Ingots to Targets" looking for information.

I have not yet cast a single boolit, but I have been gathering supplies. My plan is to use a gas powered plumber's furnace with cast iron pot/pans to make ingots from range scrap (j-word bullets with some shotgun buck and slugs) and then ladle pour boolits to powder coat. I have a spare tumbler and will likely use that for applying the PC and will obtain a convection toaster oven for baking. Initially, I will be casting for .45 ACP and if all goes well then .38 Special and 9mm. Assuming that goes well, .458, .308, and .311 caliber rifle will be next. I really want to find an acceptable load for subsonic .308 Win using CB's and my .458 SOCOM is expensive to shoot with j-word bullets.

I'm sure I will want to get an electric bottom pour pot to speed production after getting started. I need to get molds yet, but most everything else I have or will shortly. I'm excited to start down this rabbit hole and appreciate all the hard work done before me to make it easier for me to begin! I have a whole lot to learn and am willing to do so. I hope to contribute as well when I have knowledge or experience to do so. Another hobby is gas powered appliances such as Coleman lanterns and stoves, so if you have a question about those, fire away!

Thanks allowing me to join!

Cast Boolits Owner

Welcome aboard!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all of the contributors that taught me solutions to multiple problems with casting. Last week every bullet was wrinkled. This week, every bullet of 943 cast, except one, was near perfect.

Hi to all here. I've been a registered member on this forum since 2012 but today I thought I'd actually say g'day.

I've been a shooter since the age of 5, have been reloading for 10 years, casting for about 7. I have picked up some very handy tips from this forum that have kept me away from a lot of the pitfalls that are experienced by the beginner.

I still consider myself to be a novice when it comes to casting but my skills are improving with every session.

I currently own 13 molds, the majority being Lee and Cast Bullet Engineering. I am lucky enough to shoot at the same small country range as David Commens, the owner of CBE. I just drop him an email and a few days later I pop into his workshop and pick them up.

About 2 years ago I moved from a ladle & saucepan over gas to a Lee 25lb bottom pour and I wish I had done it a lot sooner. I still do very small batches of soft lead for BP shooting with the ladle, Its easier than dumping the lead from my pot for the sake of casting 20 bullets.

If i'm not at work, usually I am in the reloading room or shooting on my own private range that I built on my small farm.

Cheers

Chris

Okay, I'm in the water. Up to my ankles but in none the less. I've been considering casting my own bullets for a little while now but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. If I get into it, I'd like to go with coated bullets (which I've looked into). Still looking into the initial equipment needed and really like the idea of a bullet feeder when it comes time to size them. Slowly learning my way around the forum and hope to pick your brains for ideas. Thanks

I want to say thank-you to all the knowlagable members of this forum for the vast well of information available to new casters like myself. I have been casting for only a couple of months now and thanks to you guys and tips from my father, I am actually shooting my own boolits! I cast using a Lee 20# bottom pour and have a 150 and a 125 two cavity Lee mould for my .357 revolver. For Christmas I received a Lee 200 grain mould that I want to use to make boolits for my .35 remington. I have PCed a few of the 150 and 125's and used 45-45-10 on the others. I think I enjoy casting and reloading more than I enjoy shooting! It is a very satisfying hobby. The more I learn the less I seem to know. I am always going to strive for better boolit/powder combinations even though I doubt it will be found. But this is why I enjoy it so much. I also got a chronograph for Christmas so my load development should get better/easier. Maybe one day many years from now I will be able to help someone out the way this forum has helped me.
    Thanks again.

Boolit Mold
    Heard abut this website by a few other Australians so joined. Only been here for couple of days
    Mainly because setting up Ruger Hawkeye in 358Win to shoot 250gr GC pills and load data is bit hard to find.
    Last edited by ruger358; 02-14-2018 at 01:49 AM. Reason: speling

I've been around for awhile, just read more then I post. Awesome website, great resource.

Dave

Boolit Mold
    I've been interested a long time and have been reading the forums on and off for months... maybe upwards of a year. I finally got some reloading up and going and decided to take the plunge.

I have all my PPE (gloves/apron/faceshield) after seeing if I could get a used pot or do a propane/cast iron pot setup, I just splurged and got one of those 20 lb Lee production pots a week ago.

Ive been looking at the Lee molds for weeks... and I finally just got the .358 105 gr. 6 cavity. I've only ever loaded 148 HBWCs and 158 SWCs... and figured I'd kick it off with something new and economical lead-wise. I've got a source of WW whos saving me some and will get what they have at their shop at the end of the month and have a ~40 lb sheet of pure lead on hand and a few down rigger balls promised... plus some lead free solder.

I still have more steps left. Slugging barrels... getting a sizer as I bet it'll be needed... but I figured I needed to take the plunge and start getting things or I'd never start.

I'll keep reading and learning as I go. I just want to be safe along the way. There's a great amount of information on this site... and many lifetimes worth of experience. I don't have any casters I know of nearby, so I don't have a mentor readily available. My old man cast bullets from WWs way back when, but he passed a couple years back, so I've lost him as a resource... otherwise, as with all things, I'd give him a ring and talk his ear off. Funny how you go from thinking your parents know everything... to nothing when you're a teen... then back to where you think they know everything. My old man rarely disappointed with his wisdom. This is one of those many things I really miss being able to chat with him about.
    Wish me luck!

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast