Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: C'mon In Lurkers.

Hello all. I am not new to reloading, but new to casting; very new. I'm hoping to glean info here before I go and buy a lot of stuff. I'll be casting for 9mm first, and then when I get that down I'll move on to 45 and other various calibers.

Boolit Man
    Hi CastBooliteers!
    I have been here a while, but I'm finally getting to purchase equipment. I did contact Miha and bought a H&G #503 4-cavity which is sitting unused on my computer desk as a motivation factor to get started. I've got some young children whose safety is my primary concern, and I want to keep any lead mess far away from them.

Moderator Emeritus

Hi folks. Reloaded shotshell previously and started reloading 9mm and 45acp. Hopefully loading 223 in the next week or so. Have always been interested in casting and am getting that damn itch to try something else . I need to keep reading to figure out exactly what I want to do.

Boolit Buddy

Hello everyone,i have been reloading for several years and have recently decided to start casting also. I have been stocking up on lead for awhile now and just started buying the actual casting tools to get the job done. I have been lurking and reading the forum for a few weeks now and it has helped a ton in understanding what all goes into casting and how to be safe doing it. As I start casting myself and learning hopefully I will be able to contribute,i will be casting for 9mm,45acp&45 colt,44mag,45-70,308.

OK, I'm a long time reloader,lurker etc. I just switched up to a G20. I received my Lone Wolf barrel today. It slugged at .401 so my memory says I need cast bullets sized at .402
    I'm thinking of getting a production mold ($100.+-) price BULLET MOULD .40-180-FN 558. 2 cavity is OK.I have done this before. I have casted for .41,44 and .357 I've been buying bullets by the 500 but now I'm going back to casting. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by thomashoward; 06-27-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Look at Noe website. He had some nice 10mm molds I was drooling over for. Same as mihec. I know you said production, they might not be made all the time but some times are in stock

Was a member until four or five years ago. Couldn't recall the login info. Been loading close to 40 years and casting off and and on for 30 or so. Just recently jumped back into casting after a few years off. Received a 45/70 as a gift some years ago and have never fired it. Seems such a caliber should be loaded with cast rather than copper.

Boolit Mold
    I've been lurking on and off for several years. Started casting with roundball in the early '80's, progressed to boolits. Not certain that I'll be able to actually help out much, I've certainly learned a lot. There is a couple of books worth of info in the stickies if anybody cares to peruse them. All my molds are Lee, did a little work to some of them, and for the price I'm really happy. I will most likely be buying some different molds in the near future, just because my wife likes to shoot also and I've almost been able to convince her that a more expensive mold is actually a better value. I'm of Scottish descent, and so cheap that I'd skin a fart for the scent.

Boolit Mold
    Long time reloader and shooter of cast boolits. But I have never cast myself. I've been buying cast boolits from a local guy for 20 plus years. He has been casting since the mid 1970's and makes a fine boolit. But I decided after getting bit by the 38-55 bug to try my hand at casting. Thanks to a member here I have a mold on the way. A buddy is going to loan me a pot till I get one of my very own and I and looking for lead. So be warned I'll probably be asking lots of questions.

All right, I might as well say hello to the forum. New to casting. Been rolling 200gr swc for my .45s out of cowws working good so far. I want to say 'HEY' because every question I've wanted to know has been asked and answered (search feature works good). Too bad I can't talk to you guys very much because of it. Hope everyone had a kicking 4th of July holiday and might see you around.

Stopped lurking a couple minutes ago. Put my first question up in the new guy area. Please forgive my butchery of the human language and strange hummer.
    "you can't buy anything with lead"

Boolit Mold

Hello - I was browsing the web trying to educate myself on some of the black powder pistols and rifles my late uncle left to me recently, when I stumbled on some threads from your website "CAST BOOLITS."
    My hats off to you fellows. Real nice site and great threads. Glad I found you guys.

So I joined up and have been enjoying reading past threads and learning some new stuff. I have been reloading for 20 some odd years. But today I cast my first batch of .451/138gr rb's and .58/440gr r.e.a.l. today with the stuff my late uncle left me.

So I put up the .223 and the .45 acp and started shooting the 1858 New Army .44, the .58 Zouave, and his custom Kentucky flintlock rifle...Just like we used to when I was a kid. WOW! It was a lot of fun. My Uncle - Houston Butler, was the one who showed me how to shoot black powder back in the 70's. My thanks to him and all others like him.

I hope to post more as I go and to make some new friends and of course, cast some more Boolits.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Hello - I was browsing the web trying to educate myself on some of the black powder pistols and rifles my late uncle left to me recently, when I stumbled on some threads from your website "CAST BOOLITS."
    My hats off to you fellows. Real nice site and great threads. Glad I found you guys.

So I joined up and have been enjoying reading past threads and learning some new stuff. I have been reloading for 20 some odd years. But today I cast my first batch of .451/138gr rb's and .58/440gr r.e.a.l. today with the stuff my late uncle left me.

So I put up the .223 and the .45 acp and started shooting the 1858 New Army .44, the .58 Zouave, and his custom Kentucky flintlock rifle...Just like we used to when I was a kid. WOW! It was a lot of fun. My Uncle - Houston Butler, was the one who showed me how to shoot black powder back in the 70's. My thanks to him and all others like him.

I hope to post more as I go and to make some new friends and of course, cast some more Boolits.
    Welcome aboard. Did you uncle ever go to Leonard Carver's or Larry Twyman's rendezvous up in the north part of the state? His name sounds familiar to me. I was rendezvousing back in that part of the country about 40 years ago.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold

Waksupi - I have no idea if he attended those events. I do know he was an active in anything dealing with the Mountain man lifestyle. He also reenacted some for the South as our past relatives fought and died on that side. My aunt had no interest in his shenanigans, so no help there.

If the fellow you met liked to shoot, smoked camel straights and drank beer... it was him! lol

Boolit Mold
    Howdy! Just joined. Getting my first casting 'kit' from Midway. Makarov boolits have been non-existent and the mold became available, so, click click to the shopping cart. Basic stuff: Lee furnace, dipper, 309 cal sizer for the C309-200-1R, gas checks, lead ingots on eBay and ordered X-Lox Delux from Leah and Glenn. Can't wait.
    Information on this site has been invaluable. I'm hooked, cast sinker n' all.

Boolit Mold
    Hi, Been lurking her for a while soaking up the experience. Been casting bullets for about 25 years, kind of feeling my way around. My success curve has become much steeper since I started reading the posts here. Thanks to all of you for sharing. My latest project is a Browning BPCR in 45-70 that followed me home with sight problems. I'm most of the way through sorting that out and getting ready to start making cartridges for it. Once again I'm pouring over the threads here. Anyone wants to send any pointers my way would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure this is my first post here because I have not yet found a topic I could add anything to. maybe soon. Thanks again guys!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbs428 View Post
    Waksupi -
    If the fellow you met liked to shoot, smoked camel straights and drank beer... it was him! lol
    Heck, back then, that could have been ME!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Hi all. I'm a noob to casting unless you count the lead soldiers we cast as kids. I'm putting together a smelting pot and gathering up buckets of ww. I sorted a bunch out yesterday.
    This forum looks like a repository of all thing casting and I can't wait to make my first boolit.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad to have you aboard Johnny45!
    Best advice I can give you is:
    Check out the stickies have fun reading them
    and make sure your boolits are .001-.002 over your groove diameter. Measure with a micrometer, not calipers.
    Have fun bud!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Mold
    I'm not necessarily a noob but I generally don't post much on boards rather read and learn. I've been reloading for about 40 years and casting for 10 or 12. I load for a couple of 45-70's 444 marlin, 44 mag, 30-30 and some others from time to time. Just ordered a 00/04 buck mould looking forward to getting that in and loading up some shot shells. I'll try to get a little more involved on the site.

Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast