Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my deer this year!

Boolit Buddy

Got my deer this year!

After not drawing a deer tag last year I was thrilled to get one this time around. I won't bore you with the story but wanted to post a big thanks to everyone. I have been casting for about 10 years now (handgun hunting for 2) and you have been more help than you could ever imagine!

75yd shot double lung shot with a Mihec 429640 cast of air cooled 50ww/50pure. The hit sounded like hitting a watermelon with a baseball bat.

Boolit Master
    great buck good shoooting

Boolit Master
    Bore us. I going to when I get my first CB kill next week!

Boolit Grand Master
    same boolit I am going to use this year
    congratulations
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

That's a nice buck and I never get bored by the stories.

Where are you at that you have a tag system like that? Guess I should be more appreciative of our system here, other than the fact that we can only get one buck tag a year, the tags are pretty easy to get several antlerless ones.

Boolit Buddy
    Richhodg66- in colorado and with the preference point system to get into trophy areas running 20+ years for elk and 10+ years for deer I have to put my normal haunt lower on the list. The guys with my area as first pick get tags before I do since it's my second pick. I had an either sex tag. Unfortunately we are limited one tag per species per year. Sucks.

White Eagle- just a heads up on the boolit... what that boolit did to his lungs is the kind of thing you shake your head at and walk away. I had him hanging when I opened him up and his lungs fell out in pieces. Very impressive.

[beginStory]
    I came home after the morning hunt and my wife told me that she saw some deer a few minutes earlier down below the house. She said one was a buck but she wasn't sure the size. I headed down from the house and ran across this buck with about 6 does. I started stalking for a better shot but since the sage brush is 4+ feet high and I was shooting off of sticks it wasn't going to happen. Ultimately they decided that I wasn't supposed to be there and they cross-countried for about 200 yards. I could tell that they wanted to jump the fence to the neighboring property so I had to get with it. When I stalked in to about 75 yards and decided that it was now or never. They were closing in on the fence so I let out a whoop and that stopped this one in his tracks. After getting hit he ran about 20yds, jumped the fence, and piled up where he landed. Being the lazy sort I decided to recover him with the tractor (hence the tie down around his antlers) rather than lift him over the fence. And yes, the boolit did exit.
    [endStory]

Boolit Bub
    Nice one. Congrats!

Nice buck. Glad to hear you have more venison in the freezer

Boolit Bub
    Great job should also be some good eating. Also some good looking bullets

Good shot, good buck and nice looking boolits especially for a rib double lunger. Do you think they will penetrate through a shoulder or both shoulders?
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master

Now, that's a right stylish buck you got there!!!!

Nice work all around, congradulations.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OnHoPr View Post
    Good shot, good buck and nice looking boolits especially for a rib double lunger. Do you think they will penetrate through a shoulder or both shoulders?
    The boolit did go through one shoulder then exit through the ribs on the off side. I don't think it would have exited on a double shoulder shot. There wasn't much oomph left when it went out the other side.

Boolit Grand Master
    VERY NICE BUCK, sir!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you need more penetration, quit using hollow points.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If you need more penetration, quit using hollow points.
    Who mentioned a penetration problem?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    " Do you think they will penetrate through a shoulder or both shoulders?" OnHoPr

"If you need more penetration, quit using hollow points." waksupi

-----------

"The hit sounded like hitting a watermelon with a baseball bat."

Nothing in the world quite like it, is there?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I love it when a plan like that comes together! Good job!
    Cast boolets are just plain fun and satisfying to hunt with!

When I first started shooting the 44 for deer this concept between hollow pt and non hollow pt has always kept me in a quandary. One aspect is that you have broadside shots or any angle. With just broadside shots the hollow pt would be beneficial because it would create a larger tunnel wound through the boiler room quicker. With the heavy hard cast solid at reasonable speed you should be able the shoot at any angle with almost complete penetration to the boiler room, but the tunnel wound would be narrower. Back when I was looking for a factory round for my 44 (I didn't reload for it at the time) I found that the Federal 240 HP had cigarette pack accuracy at 100 yards, that is what I used, but I had thoughts of limiting my raking shots. (The SuperVels shot well also, but were hard to find.) The deer I shot with Fed 240 gr HP had complete pass through. Those rounds would penetrate in the sand berm when shooting unlike the Remington 44 240 gr SP which would flatten like a pancake and lay on top of the sand or just beneath it. When the Federal ammo dried up in my area I began looking for another round to get the performance of the Fed 240 gr HP. I couldn't find anything to replace its performance. I had to use Winchester 210 gr HP silver tips one year and the performance even with broadside shots was dismal. These Win loads is where I would have to agree with waksupi's theories on HP's. Since I loaded for shotgun, rifle, and 357 I was going to look for a 44 mold for the 44. Never got around to it though. At the time (back in the late 80's) the only molds I could find were the lyman molds through gander mountain reloading catalog. I narrowed my choices to the 255 gr GC and the 250 gr HP GC and I was leaning towards the HP, but with a tougher alloy concept for expansion and penetration. Given the availability of the boolit molds at this time I think I would try something like the Lee 44 310 gr mold or similar in a pure Pb BruceB soft point and HP water dropped with WW alloy to just above the top crimp groove. That would give the boolit a large meplat and a HP for rapid expansion for the larger quicker tunnel wound and all hard cast from the top crimp groove down for deeper penetration of the larger tunnel wound. So the boolit would weigh in between 290 to 300 gr. That would give the boolit all the attributes usually discussed in game killing performance, weight, big meplat, HP, and hard cast. That should give the boolit good performance on all shots, broadside and hard raking, except for the texas heart shot.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    Nice Trophy!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com