RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 100 pound propane bottle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I plumbed up my old farmhouse for a propane stove, and used the yellow coated "accordion" flex-pipes.
    So I hope you bonded the line at both ends. I'm assuming you're talking about CSST. There was a class action lawsuit for yellow TracPipe due to pin holeing from a lightning strike. The yellow covering is no longer being made and does not meet IBC because it's not internally bonded. The new black covered counterstrike tubing is. This is another product that should only be sold to licensed professionals for a reason.

The reason I posted was to tell you if you ran CSST with the yellow covering you need to bond it at all ends if you didn't already. If you're talking about the short hose kits you can buy at Home Depot and Lowes then you have nothing to worry about.

Boolit Buddy
    My brother buys propane fittings all the time and never has any problems. He flys hot air balloons. Just tell them you are repairing a hot air balloon.

Boolit Buddy
    local regs may very, but I would use copper line from a shielded outdoor spot a short distance from any buildings [as per fire code] into your shed/casting area. use flex from tank to preregulator to secured copper to secured 1/4 turn valve at wall near burner, then flex with quick disconnect to burners regulater. The tank will need a weather cover over the valve to keep sun, rain and ice away but also allow free venting of area, the tank should also be secured from tipping and inpact. The inside hose should be as short as possable [<10']. A tank retest used to be less than @20.00 on a clean unrusted tank.
    Shaune509

Gentlemen;

I am very grateful for all the response to this subject! Thanks very much.

I plan on putting together a (safe) design for this tank from all the advise you've provided - but before I do anything else I'll check to see if the darn thing is within its inspection period ~ probably not, considering it's source..

I'll be back to put closure on the subject.

Good evening,
    Forrest

Boolit Master
    I think the caution that makes it illegal is due to using a temporary line for a permanent installation in an occupied structure.

Gas collected in an enclosed space can suffocate your or it can reach a source of ignition it will blow the building apart.

If you use the line out in the open with no shed you do not have either of these concerns though you can still burn yourself up.
    EDG

Our house was originally plumbed for LP gas (talking Australia here). We had two 100 lb. bottles, connected to an automatic changeover valve which also incorporated the regulator. All connections here always have the regulator mounted right next to the tank, presumably so that only low pressure gas is in the line into the house. I would not recommend running the line directly to a burner without a regulator at the tank. The lines were all run in hard-drawn copper pipe.

Basically, the only thing anyone can do here with LP gas is to connect/disconnect a BBQ/camping stove/camping light! Anything else requires a licensed gas fitter. Of course, it's still possible to buy all sorts of gas fittings, even though legally you can't do anything with them! Hasn't stopped me making several burner assemblies for melting lead, wax etc.

I've also re-filled small gas bottles from larger ones, which requires turning them upside down to get the liquid propane out - which, of course, I'm also not supposed to do! Just had a thought, have a look at glass-blowing sites and see what they use - many here seem to use 100 lb. bottles inside.

Boolit Buddy
    I work for a large propane company and have for thirty years. PM me and I'll tell you what you need. Most propane company's discourage folks with 100 pound tanks. It is just part of the culture. They have to be upright when transported and have a neck ring etc. The value is POL (put on left) . I use one on my barbecue grill and smelt with one . They are very handy.
    Hoses are for temp heat and camping. If your going in a building there is a lot to consider. High pressure is a no no in a building and most turkey cookers are high pressure. Again PM me and I'll help you out. Propane is much safer than Gasoline to have around. It has to be handles correctly that's all. Mike

Gentlemen;

I thought to put closure on this thread today: The 100-pound bottle is gone ~ it was simply not worth the effort to plumb it up, fill it up haul it around.

Instead I asked the local Farmer's Co-Op if I could donate. They said sure! An hour later it was theirs.

Good morning, FASmus

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    Just as late as yesterday I too 2 20 lb propane tanks to the propane place to be filled. One was over 13 years old and they said they could not fill it without pressure testing it. The guy there suggested I take it next door to the Dollar General and do the exchange deal. I did that and it was about a dollar cheaper. I wonder if the age of the tank is what you are running into.
    Look at or weigh how much you got on exchange now they only put in 15#. Filled is a full 20#

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FAsmus View Post
    Gentlemen;

I am very grateful for all the response to this subject! Thanks very much.

I plan on putting together a (safe) design for this tank from all the advise you've provided - but before I do anything else I'll check to see if the darn thing is within its inspection period ~ probably not, considering it's source..

I'll be back to put closure on the subject.

Good evening,
    Forrest
    If it turns out to be out of date, you can always cut off the bottom and use it for a casting pot.
    Cogito ergo sum ego iacio (Google Translate)
    ------------------------
    Reloading and casting are like approaching a black hole; once you pass the event horizon there is no turning back.

I was thinking the same thing, plus there would be a lot of material left to make a windshield for the burner.

Gentlemen;

What interesting posts in response to a closure.

As for the bottom of a 100-pound bottle for rendering - wow! That would make for some serious production!

I get mileage from a recycled dutch-oven. I heat it with a cut-down propane turkey burner. Filled it holds about 90 pounds of alloy.

Good evening, Forrest
    Last edited by FAsmus; 04-20-2016 at 09:56 AM.

"local propane shop"? or local government regulators? Seems to me they need to decide if they want to BE a propane shop or continue to formulate policy.....

You can buy 12' extension hoses with a regulator already on them. Mr Heater brand if im not mistaken. Tractor supply sells them here..They are for running heaters off small tanks and you see people everywhere running heaters with them off 100 pounders..If a propane outfit comes to your house here they use copper tubing..Standard around here..
    One of our forges runs off a 40 pounder and we keep a couple 20 pounders to run small heaters from like the big buddy heater..We also have a 125 gallon PIG set outside one of the shops to run a 30K BTU heater with during the winter..I have a 100 pound tank but never wanted to move it..Im going to purge it and make a smoker from it most likely..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12