MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionStainLess Steel Media
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Graf & SonsADvertise here

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 106

Thread: Search ? on progressive press

  1. #61
    This must be the bi monthly “what press is best” post. I have been loading for a long time I have loaded on or have owned a bunch of different presses. I bought a Dillon 550B when it first came out and am to far down the blue road to change now. All the presses talked about will work some better than others. I am not nesacareley a fan of auto indexing. Yet I have 4 Square deal Bs. I like the new Dillon pistol dies better than the dies that are made for the Square Deal and keep bugging Dillon to upgrade.
    One way to get away from the Dillon powder measure is to use adapter they sell and you can use a standard powder measure for stick powder and large capacity cases. One other thing try using powdered Teflon to lube your powder measure slide and the primer slide.
    Bill

  2. #62
    Banned

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    fayetteville/ft. bragg NC
    Posts
    1,554
    If you use mikesreloadingbench.com the Lee loadmaster can be great. But only with all his afforable mods.

  3. #63
    Boolit Master Black Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiding out somewhere
    Posts
    367
    I've TRIED to read through this post to determine if this has been addressed and have not seen it, but in case it has been pointed out, I apologize. Most all of the progressive presses work well. I have used Dillon 550-B's for 37 years, so I obviously like them. The discussion of auto index or not is a non starter because once you get used to a non indexing press like the 550-B, it's not a big deal. BUT something that IS A BIG DEAL with the 550-B , AND OTHER PROGRESSIVE PRESSES that only have four stations on them is there is no room for a powder checker die. So what you ask?

    There are so many operations going on at the same time on a progressive that it is easy to miss an under or overloaded case. And in some progressives, you can't actually see very well the powder level in the case before you have to put the bullet in the case. If you are loading pistol cases with a fast burning, low bulk powder like Bullseye for instance, you can load a case two or three times and it WILLNOT run over the case and it WILL ALLOW you to seat a bullet on top of that powder.

    THAT is why although I own Dillon 550-B's, if I had to buy them again today, I would get the 650 machine because it has 5 stations which allows for a powder checker die. Now when I load 45 ACP's for example, I set my powder checking die (an RCBS) at the first station after the powder is loaded into the case, then seat the bullet, but then I don't have another station for the taper crimp die. So then I have to take each cartridge and run it through a Lyman All American press with a taper crimp die in it to complete the loading process. That one operation almost doubles the time required to load a group of cases. But I do it to be safe because I have seen the result of both over and under loaded cases and it is not good. For those reloaders who are like me that don't see very well anyway, a powder checker die can look at EVERY CASE to make sure it has the correct amount of powder in it. BUT if you don't have enough stations on your progressive press, regardless of who made it, you run the risk of missing just one case and it only takes one to ruin you whole day. So if you value how you day goes, you may want to consider that issue in buying a progressive press. Or not. I got away with not doing it for 10 years before learning the hard way that I really do need a powder checker die.

    All the best to you in whatever you do and here's wishing you good shooting.
    The America I love was when the engine was a V-8, the exhausts were dual, the shift was four on the floor, the white walls were wide, the chrome was thick, the women were straight, and there was no such thing as the as the EPA.

  4. #64
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1
    Guys is this a Dillion site? I thought this was about loading,shooting, and having fun??? we all do the same thing shoot lead right. When someone asks what press should he buy why not ask some questions like budget, room to work, and if he has a buddy to get him started. Yes dillion is top of the line but it's expensive to say I've got a dillion press. Why not start like we ALL did with a single stage and take things slow and evolve from there. You dillion guys need to lighten up!!!!! You know **** well you all started with a single stage and if you didn't I'll bet you have one sitting on your bench you use for bull work.

  5. #65
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Abiquiu, NM
    Posts
    1,574
    Quote Originally Posted by sock View Post
    Guys is this a Dillion site? I thought this was about loading,shooting, and having fun??? we all do the same thing shoot lead right. When someone asks what press should he buy why not ask some questions like budget, room to work, and if he has a buddy to get him started. Yes dillion is top of the line but it's expensive to say I've got a dillion press. Why not start like we ALL did with a single stage and take things slow and evolve from there. You dillion guys need to lighten up!!!!! You know **** well you all started with a single stage and if you didn't I'll bet you have one sitting on your bench you use for bull work.
    The OP asked about the big three for progressive presses. Dillon's 550, 650 (not sure when the 1050 came out) came out before the Pro 2000, LNLs, and LMs hence you see more posts.

    Not everyone starts out on a single stage. I can see your point about "bull work" as I have four for that duty.

    Budget? Again the OP asked about the big three - Dillon, Hornady, and RCBS. He wants to retire his LM.

    So when the OP posted about other presses to maybe replace his LM, it is assumed that he has the basics of reloading down.

    Sock, expense for equipment is up to the individual. All I can say is after loading into the six figures of ammo (believe it or not, their are other posters that do more than this) I can say my progressive has paid for itself since the 80s when I bought it.

    Friends and family keep my metallic progressive going almost every weekend. Some are too cheap to buy their own equipment. Some do and it's funny what they buy - either a Dillon or LNL. I don't care what they buy, it's their money.

    If you think Dillon's are expensive try buying a new progressive shotshell loader for each gauge complete with hydraulics.

    Take care

    r1kk1

  6. #66
    Boolit Master



    Alvarez Kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,261
    Yep r1kk1. I need a new Spolar.

    Google it if you've never heard of it.

  7. #67
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Abiquiu, NM
    Posts
    1,574
    Oh yeah. Spolar can do 12, 16, 20, 28 and both 410 2-½" as well as 3". Amazing machine and easy to swap gauges on. I'm saving for one Alvarez.

    So well built. It is a work of functioning art.

    Yeah I want one.

    Take care

    r1kk1

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Prince View Post
    I've TRIED to read through this post to determine if this has been addressed and have not seen it, but in case it has been pointed out, I apologize. Most all of the progressive presses work well. I have used Dillon 550-B's for 37 years, so I obviously like them. The discussion of auto index or not is a non starter because once you get used to a non indexing press like the 550-B, it's not a big deal. BUT something that IS A BIG DEAL with the 550-B , AND OTHER PROGRESSIVE PRESSES that only have four stations on them is there is no room for a powder checker die. So what you ask?

    There are so many operations going on at the same time on a progressive that it is easy to miss an under or overloaded case. And in some progressives, you can't actually see very well the powder level in the case before you have to put the bullet in the case. If you are loading pistol cases with a fast burning, low bulk powder like Bullseye for instance, you can load a case two or three times and it WILLNOT run over the case and it WILL ALLOW you to seat a bullet on top of that powder.

    THAT is why although I own Dillon 550-B's, if I had to buy them again today, I would get the 650 machine because it has 5 stations which allows for a powder checker die. Now when I load 45 ACP's for example, I set my powder checking die (an RCBS) at the first station after the powder is loaded into the case, then seat the bullet, but then I don't have another station for the taper crimp die. So then I have to take each cartridge and run it through a Lyman All American press with a taper crimp die in it to complete the loading process. That one operation almost doubles the time required to load a group of cases. But I do it to be safe because I have seen the result of both over and under loaded cases and it is not good. For those reloaders who are like me that don't see very well anyway, a powder checker die can look at EVERY CASE to make sure it has the correct amount of powder in it. BUT if you don't have enough stations on your progressive press, regardless of who made it, you run the risk of missing just one case and it only takes one to ruin you whole day. So if you value how you day goes, you may want to consider that issue in buying a progressive press. Or not. I got away with not doing it for 10 years before learning the hard way that I really do need a powder checker die.

    All the best to you in whatever you do and here's wishing you good shooting.
    Good point. I feel the biggest cause of lack of powder or double charge is not paying attention. I think if you are paying attention and complete each stroke of the handle completely it is hard to get a mistake. If you fell there is anything different STOP and check it out.
    Bill

  9. #69
    Boolit Master
    dragon813gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in SE PA
    Posts
    8,931
    I don't reload for shotgun......but I want that press w/ all the accessories

  10. #70
    Boolit Master



    Alvarez Kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I don't reload for shotgun......but I want that press w/ all the accessories
    You have to mean the Spolar, right?

  11. #71
    Boolit Master
    dragon813gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in SE PA
    Posts
    8,931
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    You have to mean the Spolar, right?
    Yep, I have no need for it but I sure do want it.

  12. #72
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    Yep r1kk1. I need a new Spolar.

    Google it if you've never heard of it.

    Can one order one in blue?

  13. #73
    Boolit Master
    LUBEDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    Can one order one in blue?
    They only come in Gold, which is why Spolar actually calls them "Spolar Gold".

    AK - I call them the 1050 of Shot Shell loaders!

    Oh, for another thousand or so you add hyrdoulics with a foot pedal. But I prefer to feel whats going on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spolarbench.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	104443  
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

    NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

  14. #74
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Abiquiu, NM
    Posts
    1,574
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    They only come in Gold, which is why Spolar actually calls them "Spolar Gold".

    AK - I call them the 1050 of Shot Shell loaders!

    Oh, for another thousand or so you add hyrdoulics with a foot pedal. But I prefer to feel whats going on.
    Lubedude, I'm envious. Such a work of art. Someday. . . I have my Spolar fund going from OT, Callback pay etc., soon . . .

    Take care

    r1kk1

  15. #75
    Boolit Master
    LUBEDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    Lubedude, I'm envious. Such a work of art. Someday. . . I have my Spolar fund going from OT, Callback pay etc., soon . . .

    Take care

    r1kk1
    R1kk1- Well, my fund was quite easy, I got fed up with some problems that I was having with my MEC 9000. So I took it, a Dillon 900, and a shotgun to a match a sold them all. Of course I told the MEC 9000 buyer about the problems!

    I had about 3/4 of the the cash, so I dug deep for the rest.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

    NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

  16. #76
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis, indiana
    Posts
    1,148
    went early thursday picked up my xl650 dillon....played with it all afternoon & evening.

    went the next day and bought a second xl650. wish i could afford 5 more!

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    Can one order one in blue?
    I think it would look good in blue.
    Bill

  18. #78
    Boolit Master
    LUBEDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
    I think it would look good in blue.
    Bill
    Anodized Blue would look awesome. *** Especially on a bench full of Dillons.

    ****
    Spolars are all Aircraft Aluminum
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

    NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

  19. #79
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Abiquiu, NM
    Posts
    1,574
    When the kids were home I had both 9000 and an Elite 900 series if I remember right. One in 12 and the other 20 gauge. Sold both when youngest moved out. Now I'm thinking about the clay sports for my wife and I again. I'm tired of loading 28 and 410 on a single stage so I really can appreciate the quick gauge changes of the Spolar. Funny thing is, my wife is the one who pointed me to Spolar.

    Take care

    r1kk1

  20. #80
    Boolit Master
    LUBEDUDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,377
    That's awesome R1, sounds like your wife is a keeper!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

    NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check