RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Forester Coax in my future!

Boolit Master

Forester Coax in my future!

I finally pulled the trigger on a Forester Coax press!

..... and it's a deal!

Check out the Forester site: Cosmetic blemish

New press for just a sliver over 3 bills to my door! My lucky day!

There are as of this moment just 2 left

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I've had mine for almost 25 years. You're going to really enjoy it. Congrats!
    “The State that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.”
    ― Thucydides

“The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
    ― Thucydides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker TN View Post
    I've had mine for almost 25 years. You're going to really enjoy it. Congrats!
    Thanks, I am pretty stoked!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Congrats, and buy a bunch of their die rings.

My favorite press out of all I’ve owned the last few decades. I’m betting you are going to enjoy it - congrats!

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice choice. Mine is over 50 years old and all my rifle loading is done on it. Agree with JimB, buy a bunch of the special die rings so you can swap out easily and not need to reset anything.
    Don Verna

You'll like it, I got mine on a deal probably 20 yrs. ago. I use it for all precision rifle rounds.

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone!

I will likely get the Forester rings but I will go touch and go in the begining because I have a cross section of brands and sort out the situation.

I want to see if the press has the new style link arms, get a light system, probably order the other jaw plates and the plate for regular shell holders as well. A whole pile of stuff to ponder I suspect.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    Great choice Three44s! I have the large jaws on mine (B5) and load .38 special to 45-90/500 magnum. I did order the thicker die rings for mine because there was a bit of play in the die whenever I raised the ram all the way. Good that you are getting the regular shell holder. Not that you will, but I do some bullet sizing on mine, but the NOE push rod bases do not seat all the way in the jaws. I grinded the base of my push rods down to fit and have no problem using them now...I should have ordered the shell plate holder.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I will likely get the Forester rings but I will go touch and go in the begining because I have a cross section of brands and sort out the situation.

I want to see if the press has the new style link arms, get a light system, probably order the other jaw plates and the plate for regular shell holders as well. A whole pile of stuff to ponder I suspect.

Best regards

Three44s
    You will not be able to use other style rings. Bite the bullets and order some. This was the place with the best prices when I bought more last year.

https://www.scheels.com/p/forster-cr...725399983.html
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You will not be able to use other style rings. Bite the bullets and order some. This was the place with the best prices when I bought more last year.

https://www.scheels.com/p/forster-cr...725399983.html
    Thank you for the tip.

I read the review on Accurate Shooter and the author extolled the Hornady rings and I have some of those. As I understand it the press comes with two Forester rings.

Once I get it mounted I can make the next moves.

I know I will be ordering the LS jaws because I do load 22 Hornet and the short handle (perhaps) but I could make one of those.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master
    actually, you can use other brand rings, just not all of them. RCBS, for one has changed their ring style a number of times, and some of their rings work, as do some of the Redding, C&H, and Hornady rings. I seem to remember that Pacific rings also worked, but no longer have any Pacific die sets.

Re: short handle, if you have a hacksaw, hand drill and a hardware store to buy a piece of 3/4" OD steel tube, you can make any length that you fancy.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    actually, you can use other brand rings, just not all of them. RCBS, for one has changed their ring style a number of times, and some of their rings work, as do some of the Redding, C&H, and Hornady rings. I seem to remember that Pacific rings also worked, but no longer have any Pacific die sets.

Re: short handle, if you have a hacksaw, hand drill and a hardware store to buy a piece of 3/4" OD steel tube, you can make any length that you fancy.
    Better yet, I have some at our farm shop. I was waiting until it arrived and size it up. Have a lathe and could turn down a heavier piece.

I will likely build a custom mount as well. But a length of 2x6 plank held by C Clamps will probably do for a while.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Still one left. Color me surprised!

Three44s

Boolit Master
    Coax press arrived yesterday and I must say I can not find fault in the finnish! For a "cosmetic second" as Forester sold it I am very happy.

I am going to start on a 2x6 plank and C-clamps to get it running for now.

Like many other first time buyers, I am surprised at how compact the press is save for the overall height with the handle installed.

Good first impressions all around thus far!

Added note: My press came with the straight links and I plan on running it that way for the time being. The reason is due to the question of having the press over center (by changing to curved links) or not as in retaining the current straight links. There is a style with horns in the center of the inside curve that I suspect are there to continue to have a positive stop I have seen sold but I question how much skin one would tear off using that version.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-04-2024 at 10:50 PM.