• Simmons

3 1.05%
  • Other

71 24.91%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite scope brand?

Banned
    To All,

WAFFEN BENEWITZ (of "K-town", Germany) sells a "no name" scope that is a "dead ringer" for a Zeiss and at less than half the price. = Zeiss quality is hard to beat, imVho.
    (IF you have a friend who is stationed near K-town, you would do well to ask him/her to buy one for you, should you need a scope.)

yours, tn46

[QUOTE=felix;2468704]
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For me tracking and holding zero is far more important than clarity or light gathering.[/QUOTE

Absolutely! ... felix
    Yes sir! w/ that said, Modern:Weaver Classic: Unertl

Unertl Programmer 36X, On my Remington 37

Weaver 36X on my Remington 40XR BR KS

Boolit Mold
    I voted for Leupold because I use them on every one of my rifles except one - Its a Burris. But I have to say that my Leupold AR doesn't track worth a darn

Boolit Master

I'm liking the older Weaver scopes, especially a K8/K10. I have a BSA Catseye that is a great little scope, I use it on my Baikal over/under 12/223. But, the scope I use for when it matters is a Bausch and Lomb, 2.5 x 8, baleight. Great scope, crystal clear, tapered cross hairs, nothing better!

Boolit Master
    I put a Redfield Revolution for my old Model 70 and could not be happier. They are made in the same factory as Leupold and have a no questions asked warranty that transfers without paperwork. My 4-12-40 collects a lot of light and tracks true. Make sure you get the Revolution series. The Redfield Rage are made overseas somewhere.

I used an original Redfield Frontier for many years and was happy with it. Held its zero, despite a few minor drops, rattling in a car trunk, etc.

Now shoot a Nikon, quite happy with it, like the lifetime warranty. Good value for the money.

My shooting is eastern woods, rarely a shot past 60 yards, tough to even find a 100 yard shooting range.

Boolit Buddy
    I voted for Leupold because they stand behind their product. All but two of my scopes are Leupold, one is a Trijicon ACOG on my AR and the other a Burris 2-7 Handgun but mounted on a Ruger Frontier as a scout scope.

Leupold got a customer for life when I sent them a third hand (I was at least the third if not later owner) VX-II that had the windage screw stripped out by the previous owner. I sent a note asking them for a quote before doing any repair work to the scope. I got it back with a bill for the shipping and a note saying all Leupold scopes are warrantied for the life of the scope. I havent needed their warranty work before or since that time but once was good enough for me.

They gather light very well, hold their zero (and value) and are tough. I like um! In fact the last time I used the VX-II mentioned above was this October. Dropped a coyote at 400 yards on the last day of deer season.

Boolit Master
    My favorite scope is a Swarovski that my father gave me, 1.5-6 30mm STEEL tube, heavy and clear as anything, my favorite USA made scope is Unertl, although I have all brands, Leupold, Bushnell, Hawke, MTC, Weaver, Vortex and they are all reliable, I just won't buy a cheap scope. Murphy's law says "a cheap scope will fail at the wrong time".

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    There is no reason today for a scope not to be razor clear/sharp. B&L's polycarbonate patent should have run out some time ago. That optical quality "glass" is perfect for hard kicking guns because of its very, very low inertia compared to silicon glass. This lower inertia will also provide a much lower error in scope adjustments as well, assuming the same quality of components making those adjustments (cross hairs in the glass). Why should a scope cost any more than 500 bucks for the best is beyond me. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 12-12-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    Hunting scopes zeiss

Tactical/long distance night force but the vortex pst has promise

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Favorite Scope Brands? The Oldies but Goodies!

The 3rd one down is the 1 5/8" Fecker Challenger - very few made
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-12-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Man
    I just put Sightrons on two rifles. The light gathering is great, clarity is equal to Leupold, and tracking is excellent. Plus it comes with a lifetime warrenty and at a lower cost!

Boolit Buddy

Love the Weaver Classic line.
    Never let me down and reasonably priced.

CPL Lou

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    imo hard to beat Nikon for value...

Boolit Bub
    Leupold..Tried some others, than back to Leupold

Boolit Master
    I voted for Leupold, but also like the older Denver Redfield (non-click adj. and all), the older Bushnell and the SII Sightron (never tried the SI or SIII).

I've had and used many brands/varieties and have had very few problems with most.

After Redfield sold out, the brand came back with a low-end whatever it was called. Never owned one but personally saw several of them shoot cr*ps. I don't know how their most recent iteration is under Leupold ownership?

I had a Leupold M8 4X go south for no apparent reason.

Never had a problem with a Burris, but their exit pupil and range of usable eye relief along with sub-par resolution was always disappointing. I understand some of their current, more expensive models are excellent though.

So, none of them are bullet proof and some are better than others.

Boolit Buddy
    Nikon fan here {especially their discontinued Monarch 4x and 6x fixed} by far some of the brightest low light scopes I've ever seen. Of course I'm a fixed power scope fanatic. The varmint scopes of my choice are the Bushnell 10x tactical and the Weaver KT15. The only variable scopes I own were given to me, or part of a trade. I do own the last steel tube IOR/Valdada 1" 6x42 SSG imported into the US. I love everything about it EXCEPT the external turrets don't lock, that cost me a deer once. So i put it on a varmint rifle.
    Last edited by ravelode; 12-27-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: addon

Boolit Master

Most of my scopes are Nikon Buckmasters and I like them a lot. I saved for a Loooong time and got a NightForce NXS 8-32 with an NP-R2 reticule. Stunning clarity and probably the best Optic I've ever used. It's a bit big but works well on the LR rifles.

Boolit Master

Leupold vx-7 got three of them and a cdc and a bunch of cheaper one also. I buy a scope based on it purpose in life and yes sometimes that hits the wallet rather hard, but you only get one go around in this life so buy what works for you and forget who makes it.
    I have a vortex, Simons, tasco, weaver, bushnell that I can think of besides my Leupolds
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

I may sound like the biggest fool here but my old model 70 '06 that Dad gave me about 1969 has a Weaver K3 that is the most reliable thing ever. I cracked the rear lens in a fall on a rockslide in 1972, so bad about 1/3 is not visible to see through. In 40 years it has never fogged. The only time the impact changed is 2 times I had to find another stock because of horses falling down and rolling over. If I can see it, I can hit it. When I used to guide, I had many hunters who would have some fancy rifle, big scope, mangle-um cartridge that would take a shot under 100 yards with a rest at a bull elk that had no idea we were there and land a shell square in the guts. Those scopes and rifles were probably just fine but it is as it always was; 90% Indian and 10% bow & arrow. People tease me about my wore out looking gun with busted scope, I just smile mostly, 'cept for this rant.
    kootne

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast