33 11.58%
  • Simmons

3 1.05%
  • Other

71 24.91%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite scope brand?

Boolit Grand Master

Leupold VX-3. It doesn't take many medium-priced scope failures to add up to a VX-3, I just can't afford them for every rifle. Good quality glass isn't all that uncommon today; coatings, mechanicals and durability are what sets a great scope apart from a good one.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 11-13-2013 at 11:54 PM. Reason: No longer like the new Redfield
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    For the money luepold is compared to extremely high end scopes all though there glass doesn't come as close. I have spent a lot of time behind Schmidt's and there awesome but very expensive. Another favorite is the older Zeiss and defiantly the glass on a swavorski is hard to beat. The only scope I don't particularly care for is the Night Force. They are a very well made scope. The first couple I looked through had an open mill reticle and I just didn't care for them. It would be interesting to see a pole on the least liked scopes and the problems that arise with them.

Love Life
    Leupold is solid, but they got lazy and got kicked off the top of the heap for some uses. They have come out swinging this year though.

I prefer steiner.

FWIW - I like Trijicon scopes. I've topped all my rifles with them with various models. Good glass, very durable, and their customer service is great. I had my Barrett slip off a table while I was cleaning it (had it on the bipod and too close to the edge of my table, dumb dumb dumb) and just like butter toast it fell right on the turrets onto the concrete. Sent the scope in and they had to adjust the windage tracking a bit and replaced the turret knob at my cost ($20) because the concrete chewed it up a bit. As it was falling and I saw it hit, I thought I just lost a $1K scope. I'd say that's pretty tough all things considered. However I do not want to try other brands durability the same way either.

I have set up and shot my neighbors Nikon scope 3-9 mill dot (forget the model off hand) but found that it was a good scope for a mid range price.

Boolit Grand Master

I voted Leupold BUT - only because I have more experience with them and little or no experience with most of the scopes listed. I also have Burris scopes & like them but the Leupold's are brighter. Would I have voted Leupold if I had experience with all of the scopes listed? Dunno, probably, maybe, could be, maybe not.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I'll second the Trijicons. Like the fact that they do not use batteries, so you don't have to remember to turn them off. Fully automatic for different light situations. No rheostats to fiddle with! I use their Accudots on my rifles and Reflexes on my carbines. My bows, handguns and shotguns are outfitted with their Armson OEG's. However, just recently learned that Trijicon is no longer supporting (re-lamping) the OEG's! I have six that are need of re-lamping. They still work but have lost their low-light capabilities.

I am trying out replacements, but I need red-dots that will accept 1" rings, for most of my applications. The best I have found is the Ultra-Dot but I find them too bright for dawn and dusk applications. The only solution I have come up with is to use a double layer of black nylon hosiery, held in place with a Butler Creek flip-up lens cover, over the eye piece. Still stuck with the manual manipulations.

Leupold is my second most favorite scope brand. However, I had to send back one of their lighted reticule models, several times before they finally got it to work properly.

Winelover

Back in the 70's I really liked Unertls for my long range shooting. Since they have been closed since 2008 I will probably buy a Schmidt & Bender for my next one. For my pistols I've been happpy with Burris .

Boolit Master

my #1 choice in scopes is nightforce. have several, and love them.

Leupold! Just went thru 2 of another brand in 3 months that wouldn't track like they were supposed nor hold vertical adjustment. Bought another leupold...problem solved. Never had a problem in almost 40 years with leupold and the new one seems just as solid.

Boolit Buddy
    Surprised Sightron haven't got a mention, here in Aus they are slowly getting a following.
    What's not to like, lifetime warranty, something to suit every budget.
    The ones I have used have been at least the equal of similar spec Leupolds and at a significant cost saving.
    Even their entry level scopes have the lifetime warranty undercut the redfield range on price and to my eyes are better optics.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Lets hear all your horrow stories of tracking failures so we can be enlightened.
    I had 2 Bushnell 3200 scopes stop tracking. One died after 19 shots from a 30-30, the other died before 200 shots from the same 30-30.

The $50 BSA that I bought before the 3200s, is still going strong... now on my 30-06.

Boolit Master
    The best scope I have ever owned is a Kahles 3-9x. I paid 401 bucks for it like 15 years ago, near a grand now.
    I wish I had bought 2 or 3 more before the price started climbing.

I have a cheaper Sightron and its a decent scope, but not outstanding.
    I also love the Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 on my 308. very nice unit

Boolit Bub
    Zeiss 4-6 power with the German # 1 reticle has always worked for me. Now I'm trying a Meopta 1.5x6x42 #4 that so far, is the equal under the same conditions. All the new name brand scopes seem to be a lot better quality than when I was younger.

Boolit Master
    My favorite is Leupold , I have always been pleased with them.I have one Vortex , a viper pst mounted on an AR that is as clear as any Leupold and tracks as it is supposed to.I also have a couple of the Bushnell elite's that work fine for what I need but not as clear.
    I recently bought a used Steyr Mannlicher carbine in .243 with a Nikon coyote special.A big scope on this little rifle and I had every intention of swapping it out for a more practical Leupold 2.5x8.The Nikon has really surprised me , The light gathering is not quite as good as Leupold but the clarity is very close.It is still a little early but as of now I would not hesitate to buy another one.
    I have had several scopes and have experienced a few bad ones along the way but not many.
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Master
    NightForce, Swarvoski. Kahles is good too.

Boolit Master
    Sure wish the poll had more choices. So I'm gonna name some names. Leupold, Nikon,Zeiss and last but not least. The old no longer made Lyman All American scopes. I've got two of these. One a straight 6 power and the other is a 10x with AO and fine cross hairs. The latter one will go on a marting heavy barreled 22 rf setup with the thick walled 12/15 receiver. Frank

Boolit Mold
    Leupold VX-3, old Weaver K series and new Trijicon with fiber optic dot. All will walk the square and none have failed me yet.

Boolit Master
    Leupold and Redfield also now. Just bought my first Nikon too. So far, real nice!
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Banned

Ive owned about all of them through the years. Still like leupold and nikon products the best. Any gun that might be used to hunt big game with or any serious varmiting gun gets either a leupold or a nikon monarch.

Boolit Master

My vote is for simmons whitetail classic, They zero well for me and I've never had a problem.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast