33 11.58%
  • Simmons

3 1.05%
  • Other

71 24.91%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Favorite scope brand?

Burris, Redfield and Nikon.

Not sold on lifetime warranties since my lifetime might be longer than the manufacturer. If the company goes out of business, changes hands or files bankrupcy... there goes their lifetime warranty. A good example is a USA (Denver) Redfied scope I bought back when they were top of the line. The scope needs repair, but I outlived the company and their lifetime warranty.

I like European glass the best. I don't presently have any but I have used it and for clarity and low light performance it cant be beaten. I have a few Leupolds (VX3's and 2's) and some cheap brands.They are OK but optically they can't touch the euro stuff. That said If i could see as well though a good scope in all conditions as I could see through a cheapie 30 years ago I'd be happy.

Sadly there's no substitute for young eyes. Something I never appreciated all those years ago.

I like Leupold for their long track record and customer service. I would say that Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 is the best scope that I have used but I'll never afford one for all rifles. You can usually find Leupolds on sale a few times a year, and they still do Military discounts on their tactical scopes.
    "Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Boolit Mold
    Sightron is my pick of the litter.
    I was not born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Boolit Man

Just got back a 1971 manufactured Leupold M8 2X EER scope that I suspected of group wandering. Sent it to Leupold - they replaced the eyepiece lense, the windage and elevation adjustment, did a complete tear down and inscpection. Cost - $0.00. Turn around - 8 days. Can't beat their customer service, plus I like the quality of their glass.

Boolit Master
    Early Simmons slug gun scope-JUNK!. Missed a deer, crosshairs were off. Resighted in scope. Missed another deer. Simmons replaced the scope and I promptly sold the replacement. Leupold slug gun scope is now my scope of choice-DRT-first shot everytime!
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Buddy

Vortex - viper or diamondback series

Boolit Master
    I used a Tasco world class for years on top of a mark x 270, it did what i wanted it to do. My lovely wife got me a leupold rifleman for christmas, so it replaced the tasco, i will say that is clearer, and i can see better in low light. But to honest, i would just as well served with the old tasco. I also have one of the new Redfield revelotion 2x7 on my 336, now that is a nice scope for the money, and perfect size for a levergun. For my uses i cant see spending $500 for a scope, unless i was shooting competition, but hey i'm cheap! To each his own.

Banned
    Nightforce........Buy once cry once!!!!

1. Nightforce 2.Vortex 3.Sightron

Boolit Grand Master

I can't believe you did not put Weaver on that poll. You must be under 40. Back in the day the Weaver K-4 was the scope to have. Now days they are even better.
    But this is from some guy who still drives a 1968 Chevelle , so maybe you shouldn't listen to what I have to say.

Boolit Master
    The British put S&B scopes on their 105mm field guns and use them in direct fire mode,can't ask for a better example of how tough they are than that. Pat

Boolit Master
    It looks good but how in the world do you get any kind of repeatable cheek weld? Too many things in this world today are sold on looks and cost hype and that is a fact. When your eye is five-six inches above the comb who cares how much you spent or how good the thing looks. It is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    Attachment 86936

This gives you an idea of scale of their 33mm tube scopes.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Suo Gan View Post
    It looks good but how in the world do you get any kind of repeatable cheek weld? Too many things in this world today are sold on looks and cost hype and that is a fact. When your eye is five-six inches above the comb who cares how much you spent or how good the thing looks. It is just stupid.
    Lower rings and/or an adjustable cheek rest will solve the issue.

No need to be insulting to a person for their choice in optics and how they set it up on their rifle. Additionally, S&B are worth the money and run circles around your Leupolds, Burris, Bushnell, Redfield etc class of scopes. That is historical fact that you can argue against until you are blue in the face. It has taken this long for the scope market to finally start to catch up to the capabilities S&B has had for a looooooooong time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alg3205 View Post
    I like the old Weaver and Burris scopes, they work.
    Dittos " " , same here. That is what I got on my old rifles and they are still working. They aint broke and I see no reason to change them. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    In the last 40 years I had one scope break (crosshair wire) and it was a Bushnell 4x mounted on a .22 rifle. I did return one Sightron which was defective from the factory. Never had another scope break or fog up, ever, and I hunted in Alaska for over 30 years where we were drenched and cold then went into warm tents. This was about the worse conditions possible.

A scope is mechanical and all will fail eventually. Its how the failure is handled that is important. This is why the vast majority of my scopes are now Leupold but Zeiss is gaining ground as I love their fast focus eyepiece. One strange tidbit is I personally knew three different guys who had Nightforce scopes fog up within a one year period. And all failed on very expensive hunts.
    East Tennessee

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345