Boolit Mold

vetterli striker / firing pin

MTMachinist

I would be interested in the purchase of a vetterli firing pin / striker

Could you post further information as to the purchase of same

Thanks

Ming Bucibei

Boolit Man
    Have two, one a standard and the other is a stutzen (double set triggers.)

Converted both to center fire.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    Have two, one a standard and the other is a stutzen (double set triggers.) ....
    I would sure like to have a stutzen but have never even seen one for sale.

Jack

Boolit Master
    Great old thread that helped convince me to buy a Vetterli.

Boolit Bub
    greetings from the gun control hell of australia!!!!!

i'm looking into getting a converted CF bolt for a vetterli, as even down here, they are classified as antiques, and so do not require registration or licensing! also, if anyone can recommend a place to get dies?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downunderrunner View Post
    ... if anyone can recommend a place to get dies?
    http://leeprecision.com/v-ltd-2-die-41-swiss.html

Jack

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by downunderrunner View Post
    greetings from the gun control hell of australia!!!!!

i'm looking into getting a converted CF bolt for a vetterli, as even down here, they are classified as antiques, and so do not require registration or licensing! also, if anyone can recommend a place to get dies?
    Simple to convert as outlined by jhrosier at the beginning of thi topic. I drilled a hole in the bolt head, made a new strker like jhrosier's picture and used a rounded tip finishing nail as a firing pin. I cut win 348 cases, annealed and formed them using Lee 10.4 x 38R die. Cast my own bullets and paper patch them. Accurate at 50 yards. Everytime I take it to the range, other shooters often leave their table to watch and ask questions. I doubt you'll find converted bolts on the market. Do it yourself, less trouble than looking through the world for one. You'll enjoy doing it.

Boolit Bub
    solved the bolt issue, a friend who's a machinist is going to "clone" my bolt, but as a CF and make my a striker, just so i can keep the colectabillity of the rifle, might also make a new rear sight leaf, for 1-400 meters, so i don't booger up the original! i was thinking i'd have to order direct from lee, as no one around here seems to stock the .41 swiss set

Lees dies work pretty well,,,,but,,,,
    the seating die nose stem is too long for the Lee 300 grain .430" bullet. You will have to go through some gyrations to get it set up to seat and crimp in one go.
    if you use the Lee bullet, I trimmed my brass to 44mm amd it works much better. It gives the bullet more area to align and sit in. It will chamber just fine.

And welcome to the forum by the way!

Boolit Bub
    thanks Pb2au, i'd be concerned at the possibility of the brass jamming in the lede, and also the possibility of exceeding OAL? do you have any recomendations for moulds? or suppliers of hardcasts?

http://leeprecision.com/mold-6-cav-c430-310-rf.html

currently using the above mold, minus the gas check.
    This mold drops a bullet long enough, with the previosly mentioned 44mm case length, to get you to the 2.2" OAL needed for the Vet's feeding system. If you get much over or under, it will jam.
    The chamber/throat is basically a funnel. It was designed as such to accommodate black powder fouling. So with that in mind, the Lee slug, at or about .430" tucks right into it.
    So far the accuracy I am getting is quite good. Offhand shooting at 80 yards, smashing clay pidgeons is no problem. This week it is getting bagged to bench shoot for some real groups.

Feel free to reach out with any more questions. Also, do some searching here for posts from a passed member, smokemjoe. He was a well of knowledge on the vetterlis.

Your finished Vetterli cartridge will look something like this;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	140893

The real trick is the brass. The Lee mold is used by a lot of vetterli addicts.
    i converted 348 winchester brass. Trim to 44mm, lightly anneal, run throught the Lee fl sizing die, re trim, deburr and use.
    The only thing I had an issue with was that the base of the brass, just above the rim was a few thousands too big to chamber, so I polished it with emery paper and was good to go.

Boolit Bub
    ok, thanks for the tip! also wondering, as i currently paper patch for a martini, would a .429, with paper patch be suitable? naturally, i'll be slugging the bore of the rifle, to discover it's actual bore diameter, has anyone here tried paper patching?

Never done it myself, but some of the original service loads for the vet were paper patched. I think the biggest challenge would be finding a mold to get you there!

Boolit Bub
    well, as for paper patching, if your shooting a .430 slug, a .429 should give you some leeway to patch, and a bit of a wider selection! and you can always size down, to make room for the patch..................

Banned
    Great thread. I'm on my second converted Vette. Switched to 8mm Lebel brass, much better than 348 and available. I have used various cast bullets with good results. Recently I tried the Berry 250 gr HP copper coated bullets with 17 gr of 4227, polyester wad, ww LR primers. Accuracy was <2" @50 but 6"@100 (10 shots).

I removed the rear sight and JB welded a flat bottom Weaver base on. The scope is a Burris 2-7 IER (no longer made) that works great.

Next spring when I get back to WY, I'll be working on a load for speed goats. (anyone can kill a goat @ 300 yds with a 270.) Hunting, IMHO, is getting as close as you can. 2012 goat killed @ 90 paces with a 45 Cal Whitworth front stuffer, 2014 goat killed @ 30 paces with a type 96 Sweed/Danish sniper rifle in 6.5x55.

Plan some pig hunting this winter in FL with my 450 Bushmaster AR that shoots quite well with a 315 gr NEI .452 PB. "Thumper" is an accurate nickname !

Boolit Master
    I was reading through this old thread while I was trying to work up some loads of .32-20 with Triple 7 (which I have quite a lot of) and have used in muzzleloaders but never black powder cartridges. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Triple 7 FFG and say 115 grain bullets in .32-20 or Triple 7 for what I am looking for.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Mold

Vetterli centerfire ammo

I have had this Waffenfabrik Bern 130076 (I think you all call it a Vetterli rifle) for about a year now it has been converted to Centerfire and I hope you all will be able to steer me in Direction on where to get ammo
    Last edited by Gary.D; 09-06-2022 at 06:34 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345