Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vetterli centerfire conversion

Boolit Buddy
    That safety is pretty slick. It doesn't lock the firing pin, but is a lot better than none at all. What length did you cut your barrel to? Looks pretty handy.

Now I'm going to keep my eye out for a beater to work on. I'm not about to cut the barrel on the one I have now.

Boolit Master
    I think we cut it to 20". The forend was previously butchered to that length, but they had just crimped the mag tube over, and left a big hole! We made a nice aluminum button and blended it in, I will try to get a pic.

The safety is very positive, I would bet on a broken trigger before it tripped the sear. Not ideal, but it was the best we could come up with. The rear sight looks tall, but so is the factory piece. We milled it from a piece of 1" bar stock. I will try and get a better pic of that too, as it came out pretty well.

My brother paid either 50 or 75$ for this rifle, neither of us remember. Being previously "hacked" made the decision to work on it easy. For the centerfire conversion, we just drilled a hole in the factory striker end, and welded a section of Rem. shotgun firing pin in. Drill the bolt face, done.
    Last edited by dubber123; 02-10-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Boolit Master

I like the safety.
    A clever idea well executed.

Jack

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Jack. (Sorry for pilfering your thread).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Thanks, Jack. (Sorry for pilfering your thread).
    No problem. Interesting ideas about the Vetterlis are always welcome.

Jack

Boolit Master
    [img][/img] Still needs to be dialed to the right a bit, but not bad. This is one of those "Dark" bore guns. Very dark. It doesn't look like it hurt it much.

If the 50 meter target looks a little wrinkly, it was because it was snowing HARD when I shot it. My brother shot a group only slightly larger right after, using a different boolit. He then put 2 shots 5/8" C to C off hand. This is a fun old gun!

Boolit Master
    [img][/img] A better pic of the safety we made.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

41 swiss

I have one of my own and one in the shop to clean.mine had barrel cut and destroyed got barrel and fitted.lee makes dies and molds.I got mine from midsouth.my conversion was drill the bolt and the striker.It is far easier.the bolt is soft. 8 mm lebel cases from grafs are privi partisan.I have an electric cut of saw from harbor freight.its $29 and is made for hobby it has 2" saw and vise.its the greatest for cutting cases down.and then touch up with case trimmer.
    my gun has no forend or tube,thats what the other gun is for to copy.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

vetterly

dakota you sure you dont have the Italian vet,that is how they are set up.
    "vetterli"
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

Well you guys have gone and done it. Just when I figured I'd be happy playing with the guns I have already, you gave me the itch to go look again at a Vetterli at a local shop. I believe I can horse trade for it so I am off to the store later today. DANG IT, you guys are really a bunch of enablers! I'll tell SWMBO that you made me do it .

I had thought seriously about picking one up, but I was a little put off as to what brass could be formed up for it. Now you've eliminated that obstacle, gotta go for it.
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    .... DANG IT, you guys are really a bunch of enablers! ....
    Swiss rifle,they are just like potato chips.....

I bought my second one because it looked lonely.

Jack

Boolit Mold
    Hey Jack,

I really enjoyed your post on the Swiss Vet. I like your front sight.
    Would you be willing to make one for my Swiss ?
    I am sure that other shooters might be interested in them also.
    Please let me know !

Thanks,

Phill
    In Loving Memory
    SFC Bryan Hall
    KIA 4/10/09 Mozul Iraq
    Fallen but never ever forgoten!
    A Company, 1st Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment
    I'll go walking in the woods for ya !

Boolit Master

Thanks Phill,

I changed jobs & no longer have access to the machine shop for home projects.

Jack

Boolit Mold

Great Site and Info!!

Just recently found this site and after reading the whole thread I had to sign up….

I have a Vetterli 1867 / 71 that came out of the back hills of TN about 18 years ago when I went home to burry my grandfather. While sitting in a restaurant with other family members, an elderly gent came in with 2 very old guns. One being the 1867 / 71 and the other an old double barrel shotgun. After looking at the 67/71 I had to have it.

When I got it home I inspected the 67/71 and every part has matching serial numbers. The only thing missing is the sling but both firing pins were broken.

This last Sept I went back home to TN (my wife and I have been making yearly trips for the last 15 years) and decided to take the 67/71 with us. I have had it in storage all this time. My uncle (fyi, Uncle John is only 1 year older then I am and I’m 51) found a gun smith that has knowledge of older guns and after getting a look at mine was excited to have the chance to work on it.

First I had the smith (Sam) clean and inspect it. Cost $50. Results are excellent. Bore is exactly where it should be and Sam wants to join us if we ever decided to shoot it. Next was to have the broken Rim Fire pins fix. Cost $50. Could not pass it up. Also, have the original parts back for reference. Now we need to open the butt because on another board there was a story about spare firing pins were stored there….

My current situation is: I want to keep mine as original as possible so I am looking for a second bolt and would prefer one that’s converted to center fire. My uncle and I have been collecting the dies, brass and boolits. I would also like to purchase some already made boolits of the correct spec’s to use as reference to making our own. There is nothing like duplicating someone else’s excellent work and effort.

It is our hope to fire it this June (2010) for the first time in god knows how many years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for the time,
    Bob

This is a great thread. I have been fighting with ammo problems and you guys answered all my concerns. My "store bought" cases are too short and I am not expanding the case neck to the proper size before I try to insert a bullet. Before I go to C&H to order an expander how much of an interferance fit do you recommend. The bore is .427, the bullets have been sized to .429, I was thinking about a .002-.004 interferance.

Thanks, have a great 4th,

Boolit Buddy

41 swiss conversion bolt

Anyone ever heard of a center fire bolt made to replace this rimfire one? Seen this old Veterli 41RF for sale that came with a centerfire bolt for it.

Boolit Master

That gun is oddball enough to truly attract my attention.

I have never seen one in person that I can remember.
    My quest is on!!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Mold
    Apropos Centrefire Bolts, We may produce a run of these if sufficiant interest indicates a run of 50+ would be warrented. The same with other parts for the 'Vets'. We have been doing the centrefire conversions for some time as well, other corrective work it always seems a shame to engage in an irreversible modification on such fine old pieces.

Boolit Master

MTM,
    Good luck with your venture. A well designed one piece firing pin might be an even better seller than the bolt body.
    I feel that any value lost by properly converting an average condition Vetterli to centerfire is offset by making the gun more valuable as a shooter.
    This would not apply to a gun which has some special historical significance or special features, such as the Jaeger rifles, and is in any case just my personal opinion.
    Of course, there are some folks who wouldn't be comfortable doing the conversion themselves.

Jack

Boolit Mold
    Hallo Jack!

Excellent point and a caveat I SHOULD have added in respect to 'Average condition' or worse the 'Sporterised' (Read: 'Hack') jobs.

We already make a One-Piece firing pin for in-house, and I quite humbly assert that it is indeed: 'Well designed'.

Many thanks for Your kind attention and wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post
    MTM,
    Good luck with your venture. A well designed one piece firing pin might be an even better seller than the bolt body.
    I feel that any value lost by properly converting an average condition Vetterli to centerfire is offset by making the gun more valuable as a shooter.
    This would not apply to a gun which has some special historical significance or special features, such as the Jaeger rifles, and is in any case just my personal opinion.
    Of course, there are some folks who wouldn't be comfortable doing the conversion themselves.

Jack

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast