RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What set up for benchrest shooting?

What set up for benchrest shooting?

Well I picked up a new (used) rifle recently, and it about time that I got into rifle shooting more--since I have the all the dies and components setup for 4 calibers. In the past when I would shoot it was from a cheapy folding table from Wally-world with something soft used to prop up the muzzle, and using a folding chair. The set up is far from ideal--and doesn't make for the most comfortable shooting position. Was wondering if I would better to get a shooting bench, a rest (like Caldwell Dead sled), bags, or a bi-pod (which only helps 1 rifle)? Where my setup would be from my father's cow-pasture, I would need to either have something portable, or something permanent that the cow's couldn't destroy as they think anything left out is a good scratching post.

Just thought I should add, I am no "Top shot." So don't need anything high-end. Just something that will be more practical than my current setup.
    Last edited by novalty; 11-08-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Master
    For a rest that works take a look at the Caldwell Rock BR Rest the top one on the page.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_z3h9immag_b

Doc Highwall, thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking that a front rest system would be better than a full sled.

My first thoughts were a portable bench system like the Cabelas Pinnacle, but am not sure it would be adjustable enough for my 6 year old to use.

Caldwell's Stable table gets good reviews, but it looks to big/heavy to make it really portable.

Love Life
    Lead sleads are terrible tools for load development and accurate shooting.

Go with the above linked, a siclaire, or even better, some good bags.

Boolit Master
    >>So don't need anything high-end.<< This contradicts with what is called benchrest shooting where most all components are top end.

A good bench should be permanent.
    Maybe you can find an old plow, farm implement or dead tractor to use as a base for a bench.
    You are right about cattle rubbing all over stuff.
    Some of the best set ups I have seen are tables cast upside down from concrete with a pair of skids on the bottom. They are towed to the range with a tractor or a jeep and left until you need a longer range or different angle to the sun.
    EDG

Hey LoveLife... What wrong with a sled for load development? I don't have one and always use bags, but your the first that i have heard say that they are bad for dev.....

AG

I have a metal pipe welded on the front of my truck i use for a shooting rest. Rock solid and it goes everywhere i go.

EDG, I guess I didn't phrase it the best. I looking for a bench or rest set up for shooting rifles. My left elbow is messed up from my rheumatoid arthritis and makes it difficult for me to shoot standing and supporting the rifle. A permanent bench will probably be the best. Don't know about concrete, but 6x6" posts would probably be a good start. So a bag or front rest like the Caldwell previously mentioned would be more flexible for different rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    I have that cabelas bench works nice its not really going to fit your kid at all but really none of the portables I have will I use one from sportsmans guide for about 100 it folds up nicer and sets quicker than the cabellas one and easier to prop kids up with a regular type seat

Bipods will fit all your rifles with a sling swivel not hard at all to change out

Have fun shooting!

I second the the rock rest, That is what I use along with a sand bag for the rear rest. One of the members at my club said he cracked his rifle stock with the lead sled. Did not see it just what he told me. Bill

Is Caldwell's The Rock front rest okay, or is only the Benchrest Rock (twice the price), worth having? I see Blackhawk has a Titan rest very similar to Caldwell's less expensive Rock,and about the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by novalty View Post
    Well I picked up a new (used) rifle recently, and it about time that I got into rifle shooting more--since I have the all the dies and components setup for 4 calibers.

In the past when I would shoot it was from a cheapy folding table from Wally-world with something soft used to prop up the muzzle, and using a folding chair. The set up is far from ideal--and doesn't make for the most comfortable shooting position. Was wondering if I would better to get a shooting bench, a rest (like Caldwell Dead sled), bags, or a bi-pod (which only helps 1 rifle)?

Where my setup would be from my father's cow-pasture, I would need to either have something portable, or something permanent that the cow's couldn't destroy as they think anything left out is a good scratching post.

Just thought I should add, I am no "Top shot." So don't need anything high-end. Just something that will be more practical than my current setup.
    Welcome to your next level of addiction...

I am assuming you are not trying for true precision bench rest shooting.
    But more shooting from a rest for real world accuracy.
    You will need a good set of bag's one for the rear and one for the front.
    The most adequate adjustable front rest is to modify a scissors jack stand

Note in the wood base - 3 bolts that act as leveling legs

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Benchrest-bags
    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...mensionid=3944
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ack-Front-Rest

Bipod's usually attach either to a rail or stud and are moveable from gun to gun
    - Harris swivel is a good choice but you can get more accuracy of bags
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-you-recommend

Card tables really are not stable - some folding tables are better but dedicated shooting table is best
    http://www.guncustomizing.com/shootingbench.htm

lots of other designs
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...rself-designs/

Note caps on end of pipe legs to keep from sinking into ground

Nice light weight design - not but he used what was on hand !

Here's another well done one... and is probably reasonably light weight.

3 legs are better in uneven ground - larger pad is better on soft ground - if your adding weight to it (yourself and gear) it tends to stabilize better, provided you can hold still.
    Last edited by Artful; 11-24-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Now this is my portable folding lightweight shooting table.
    {click pic for larger image}

folded it fits into any car/suv/truck I have tried

takes but a few min to set up

It was made from an 8 foot long folding table from Sam's/Costco/Staple's - half was discarded and the leg set
    from that half was moved to this half but at more of an angle to help stability - the top was covered in a cheap
    automotive carpet and part was cut away for my fat belly. You have to provide you own seat/stool/bucket
    works well in rocky conditions.

The advantage of seperate seating is you can have a seat for you and a higher one for your young shooting buddy.
    Cut down kitchen/bar stools work well and generally can be found cheap at the second hand store.
    A chunk of plywood/flake board can be put down to help seating if the legs dig in.
    Last edited by Artful; 11-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

May Liberty Increase!
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Lead sleads are terrible tools for load development and accurate shooting.

Go with the above linked, a siclaire, or even better, some good bags.
    I, too, am curious what you don't like about the Lead Sleds. I've never used a high end front rest, but haven't had great success with the front rests I've tried.

My wife and I have two of them that we use for load development and we've been pleased with them, but maybe its a case of ignorance. You only know the best thing you've ever used.

I agree the Lead Sleds can be finicky. The first one we bought was obtained to tame down a 7-1/2 lb 300 RUM during load development. 100 lbs of shot on the rest took the pain out of it. Once I got to 0.9 MOA, I was satisfied and stopped.

We bought the Led Sled FCX because the original Lead Sled wouldn't work with AR style rifles. It's done pretty well too, for my purposes, but I've been content once groups were MOA or a little better.

Both do require adjustment after each shot and still require your shoulder to be firmly planted against the rear of the sled.

Our shooting bench is a 55 gallon steel drum filled with water. We built a top out of 2x4s that snugly fits over the top of the drum. We shoot crouched over the Lead Sled. It isn't fancy, but it works for our purposes. If we need it moved, we just drain the water from the drum or pick it up with a tractor.

Artful, thanks for posting the different pictures. I would think a home made set up would be cheaper and more sturdy than a box store bench. It also makes sense to have a separate seating arrangement to have for my son.

Your welcome - I'm sort of intrigued by Guardian's Barrel top shooting rest - if it's easy to lift off the barrel and the barrel is planted right I don't think the cows could tip it. Let's hope he will put up a few pictures.
    je suis charlie

May Liberty Increase!
    Artful, I unfortunately do not have any pictures and the setup is 2.5 hours away, at the family farm. I'll get someone to snap a few pics over the weekend and post them. It's nothing fancy.

The top does lift off relatively easily, yet is heavy enough that it doesn't come off unless you want it to. I'd guess the top weighs 30 lbs or so.

At 440 lbs, it takes much effort to tip it over.

Love Life
    Why I hate the lead sled:

I prefer to zero a rifle to ME and not a mechanical contraption
    Hop
    Crappy front rest
    Odd stress on rifles that wouldn't be there if using a real front rest or good bags
    I prefer to zero a rifle to ME and not a mechanical contraption
    Hop
    Crappy front rest

That's about it.

May Liberty Increase!
    Lol, ok.

I agree with the zeroing statement and I do not use the Lead Sled for zeroing, only load development.

Again, you only know the best equipment you've used. I've never used a high end front rest, but the front rests I've used were no better than the Lead Sled. What front rest do you prefer and why? The Lead Sled is "crappy" in what regard? The original had no horizontal adjustment, but the FCX does. Do you mean the bag itself?

Odd stress, I don't understand. If you adjust the sled to position the front rest under the handguard/forend to replicate placement of the shooter's hand during position shooting, it shouldn't be odd. If the barrel is free floated, isn't it a moot point?

Boolit Master
    I found out about 35 40 years ago shooting with my buddy Bob who weighed 200 plus pounds when I weighed 163 pounds that when I shot his rifle that was zeroed at 200 yards that I had to aim 6" plus lower in order to hit the target because I did not have the mass behind the butt plate that Bob had when he sighted it in. conversely when Bob shot my rifle he had to aim high about the same amount.

The lead sled does the same thing and it also affects barrel vibrations. It might be a good place to start but you should do the final load development and sighting in of the gun from your shoulder the same way it will be used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast