WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Accuracy gunsmith for Browning 1885?

Accuracy gunsmith for Browning 1885?

Hello Folks,

My Browning High Wall in 30-06 has always shown good potential, but I cannot depend on it to deliver excellent accuracy all the time. Sometimes it shoots very well, and sometimes not, even from the same batch of ammo. I would like to turn the rifle over to a gunsmith with a good reputation for working on these guns. Can you recommend anybody?

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Suggestion only. Call Allan Hall as ask him if he would look at it. He is a BR man through and through, but likes various guns and calibers too. He made some well engineered drop actions for a few years and should know the Browning system via his osmosis or actual experience. If he won't play, ask him who he would take HIS Browning gun to should he have one. ... felix

http://www.hallmfg.com
    felix

Thank you Felix. I may do exactly that. Take care, Tom
    Last edited by Tatume; 11-07-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hello Folks,

My Browning High Wall in 30-06 has always shown good potential, but I cannot depend on it to deliver excellent accuracy all the time. Sometimes it shoots very well, and sometimes not, even from the same batch of ammo. I would like to turn the rifle over to a gunsmith with a good reputation for working on these guns. Can you recommend anybody?

Thanks, Tom
    If a rifle is erratic, I would first check to make certain all screw are tight. Then I would ask myself about how consistence I was with the way the rifle was held or placed on the bench.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Hi Char,

I'm a pretty good bench shooter; not a champion by any means but I enjoy competition with my Hart-barreled Kelbly-actioned rifle. Also, I did check the screws. But I haven't checked the integrity of the scope itself, as suggested by GoodSteel, so that's on the agenda next.

Thank you for helping.

Take care, Tom

Checking the scope sounds like a good notion. I once had a Redfield scope what had some of the innards loose and they would shift around from time to time. I found the problem by taking a scope off another rifle and trying it on the rifle in question. Problem went away after that.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Have you checked the through bolt in the stock? If that's even a bit loose it can cause all sorts of problems with single shots. I had a browning 1885 BPCR that had a hanger attached to the front of the action for the forearm to hang on and this casue all sorts of grief. Finally I removed it and attached the forearm to the barrel like a Single shot is supposed to be and then relieved the wood at the rear of the forearm to make sure that there is some clearence between the forearm and the action, solved my problems. Some people have placed a wedge between the barrel and the hanger and that's suppose to help. I don't know about that one as I never tried it, didn't like the idea but it might be your answer.

RB

Boolit Grand Master

I have found that the 2 piece stocks are also more sensitive to hold, pressures, rest placement. Sometimes a "Higher" set up cures these issues making it easier to handle the rifle the same everytime. Down pressure is a killer as it seems to flex everything. Straight back pull with cosistent head pressure is the key

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have found that the 2 piece stocks are also more sensitive to hold, pressures, rest placement. Sometimes a "Higher" set up cures these issues making it easier to handle the rifle the same everytime. Down pressure is a killer as it seems to flex everything. Straight back pull with cosistent head pressure is the key
    Sort of the same thing but what I do.....don't put the butt stock on a rest when you shoot. Sit the forearm on a bag and hold the gun into your shoulder with no pressure on the butt. Sit as upright as you can. My gun goes all to heck when I put pressure on the back end and shoots MOA when I don't. It's the two piece stock and flex in the whole thing when you lean on it or sit the butt down and pressure changes between shots. Try it.

Boolit Master
    I would check first and see if the "hanger" (forearm attachment point) is straight to barrel, easy to tweak if needed. Check hand guard to barrel fit, I have a few and they needed a little love. I have removed all contact to barrels, and when I shoot off bench, rest contact just forward of receiver. Offhand, hand in same place and they seem a little front heavy then but not overly. I am VERY pleased with every one I own. Gtek

Boolit Master
    I find that if I put any pressure on the butt stock with my head it causes shots to scatter.
    To prevent this put your non-trigger hand under the forend between the rest and the forend. Grip the forend to slow down recoil. Your hand will be able to feel any difference in pressure if you lean on it with your face.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    Brand new Winchester 1885 220 swift. Will this rifle shoot with a Bipod ? So am I to understand I'm not to rest it in a rear bunny ear rest ? 2nd time to range today and it scattered shots. What was I thinking ? It looks so handsome ,but so far not shooting well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironworker View Post
    Brand new Winchester 1885 220 swift. Will this rifle shoot with a Bipod ? So am I to understand I'm not to rest it in a rear bunny ear rest ? 2nd time to range today and it scattered shots. What was I thinking ? It looks so handsome ,but so far not shooting well.
    You're going to find out it's more you than the gun. As stated above, it's all about how you rest the gun. These things will shoot. I have two and they'll both do sub 1moa at 100 yards for five shots.

Boolit Master
    I have a Moroku Winchester 1885 in 375 H&H that will go from a tack driver to a dog with a grip change. I don't own one, but I hear the Rugers are even worse about this behavior.

Boolit Buddy
    We’re starting to mix apples, oranges, and rhubarb here. Heavy recoiling rifles require different bench techniques than light recoiling ones. 6 PPC, etc can be shot “free recoil”, but you need to hang onto a .308/30-06. Rifles with recoil like the 375 need even more “hanging on”. Many shoot better with a hand under the forend instead of the forend directly on the rest.

Back to the original post, more information is really needed to help narrow down the culprit WRT the inconsistency. If the weather (hot/cold, or humid/dry) seems to have an impact, think “wood”. If not, the scope might be a logical place to look as well if you’ve ruled out loose screws. A 30-06 doesn’t generate enough recoil to be difficult to shoot for most people. I would definitely load up about 50 rounds of ammo (same everything!) to use as your reference ammo. Change one thing at a time. Just one, then test. If the test is positive, retest.

Lee Shaver has a very good reputation for his work with these.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Sulphur Gulch Gunsmithing in Parker Colorado, is probably the best place, as the owner shoots the highwalls in competition, along with building and rebuilding the things.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Bub
    I spoke to that Lee Shaver he said "Resting the barrel on the sand bag is the trick " also walked me thru removing the trigger and he said "He could have it back in a week if I get it to him this week". I'm leaving for MT 9/1 for prairie dogs. Thinking if it shoots good resting on the barrel and following the shooting tips posted here i'll send the trigger back later.

Interesting. Can you give more detail about what he said about
    resting barrel on sand bag ? What part of barrel to contact bag, etc.