Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Reliably true water purification tabs?

Reliably true water purification tabs?

If there is such a thing? I'd really appreciate advice on this. Shelf life is prolly a consideration worth mentioning.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No one treatment method works for all conditions. That's why the CDC recommends use of at least two methods. Filtration with an EPA rated filter capable of removing biologicals down to 1 micron, to be followed by either UV, chemical sterilization, boiling or distillation is best.

As for chemical sterilization you need to know if you are allergic to either chlorine or iodine. There are pros and cons to each. I use Betadyne, because I already carry it in my first aid kit. I also use a Katadyn Vario filter. If flood waters may be contaminated with petroleum or pesticides,you need to use reverse osmosis separation equipment or distillation.

Best current information is in the online CDC "yellow book" safety information for travelers. Another good source is the Virtual Naval Hospital.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-13-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Rule of thumb tabs are good for two years from date of manufacture and once opened only one year. Not something I would stock up on. I've used UV and it works great unless you don't have a shirt or something to filter it through. Tiny particles make it into your drinking apparatus and when the light goes on if the bacteria clung to the debris you are going to be a waterfall from all three portholes. MSR pens are another consideration. They do tend to have elevation constraints. Mine started failing around ten thousand feet and that seems to be the trend. Add water add salt push a button and hope the light turns green. There are several pumps out there that can filter to .8 microns but some are really slow pumping so read up on them. I personally prefer a pump but remember you need spare filters.
    Fun little test I like to do with a pump is see how clear I can get coke ah cola to come out. Hey I get board oh well. Hope this helps!

Love Life
    Just be careful with pumps in the winter as they become useless when it is super cold.

I know FEMA used to say FOR STORAGE of good water use 8 drops of chlorine bleach per gallon. To purify water to filter it through cloth or a coffee filter and add 16 drops of bleach per gallon and shake it up then let it stand a while. But I forget how long it was supposed to set.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Perma-Banned

I have been thinking of trying the uv sterilizers myself. I use the katadyn and tabs right now