RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Custom knives from randall

Boolit Grand Master

Custom knives from randall

I have had a fascination with Randall Knives ever since seeing an article in True Magazine about 1965 or so. I was in junior high school. I sent one dollar for a catalog and carried it around for years, dreaming of some day owning one. I even carved one out of wood to look like a Model #1 , Fighting Knife. Even carved the finger grips into the wood handle. I was proud of that knife.
    Long story short I grew up , got a job and started buying them when I could afford the luxury. Bought the first, an uncataloged Pathfinder that was in the shop sales counter, this was while they were working on the final design. Mr Randall himself waited on me, unfortunately that December he passed away. After that his son , Gary , always took care of helping me. Now Gary's son is involved with the shop.
    We always vacationed in Florida and I would go to the shop, visit with them and place an order for my next knife. Enough rambling I'm going to try and post a few photo's.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donald's gun 035.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	86780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	donald's gun 039.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	86781 Nice to see a dream come true. The larger knife in the upper photo is the #1 , just like the one I carved out of wood.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a huge fan of Randall knives and I have owned a number of them and I have given a couple as gifts. I have been ordering my allotted 1 knife every 90 days for 3 years now. Just 2 more years and the first one should show up. They are well worth the wait. I first saw a Randall back in the 70's when I was in the Army and one of the pilots had one he had ordered when he was in Vietnam. He loved that knife more than any other possession. It was a 6" number 1. I was hooked from then on.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Grand Master

Brtelec,
    Nice to hear from another Randall aficionado, how about posting a few photo's? Love seeing them and talking about them. I was a member of the old Randall Knife Society for years but sadly it is no more, I miss the news letters. Still have every one.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    I am currently offshore in the Gulf of Mexico but when I get home I would be glad to. I would love an opportunity to show off my latest acquisition, my new model 17 Astro.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

Albert Einstein

Boolit Grand Master

Wonderful...the history of the "Astro" is so fasinating. There are two in the Smithsonian Institute.
    That is one model I don't have.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    It was a gift from my best friend. I love the history of it. We are both big Randall fans. I gave him a 7" Number 1 with the border patrol handle last Christmas. The next one I have coming from Randall is a 7" number 2 with the commando handle in Ivorite Micarta, brass double guard and brass scalloped butt cap for my oldest daughter.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

Albert Einstein

Boolit Grand Master

If anyone else has Randall's, with or with out a story, brtelec and myself would enjoy seeing/hearing about them.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Here is my modest Randall "stag" collection:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02369.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	88220

Top knife is the #14, bottom is the #1
    Both are SS and outfitted with nickle silver guards and caps.

Name:	DSC02370.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	88221

I forget which # this one is, anyways, it has a nickle silver guard and a compass built in the butt.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful knives. There is just nothing like a Randall for the money.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

Albert Einstein

Boolit Grand Master

Winelover,
    Nice...that number 14 is awesome! Jim Bowie wished he had a Knife like that. I have always loved the little compass in the butt and nickle silver guards...the brass keep tarnishing.
    Got a story to go along with those Randall's ?

Thanks for sharing...Gary

Boolit Master
    Always did have a fascination with knives! Collected pocket knives for as long as I can remember. Made a few too. All left-handed.

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	88281

Started ordering Randall's when the wait was about one year. When it went to three, I just figured I'd just pay the E-bay Premium. Always wanted a matching #2, but keep putting it off. Hard to find them in stag with all nickle silver hardware.

Winelover