RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: YOUR FAVORITE .300 Savage HUNTING LOAD - 150Grain GC?

Banned

YOUR FAVORITE .300 Savage HUNTING LOAD - 150Grain GC?

Friends,

I'm NEW to the.300 Savage and am looking for a GREAT 150Grain CB/GC load for hunting WT, (WT-size) exotics & feral pigs.
    SO:
    1. WHICH 150 grain mold/boolit design do you like BEST?
    (I'll have to buy a mold.)
    2. Your favorite powder for that load, including approximate FPS?
    and
    3. WHICH rifle that you are using that load in, including barrel length?
    (My "new to me" rifle is a 22" Gamemaster.)

yours, tn46

Boolit Buddy

I will have to check therounds ive got they were loaded for mw but i shoot 1/2" or better at 100 yards with my gamemaster with them. Ill post that info up here in a minute.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Buddy

Ok so here is the load data
    Case 2.530 oal
    180 gr sierra game king rn
    Imr 4350 43gr
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Grand Master

Still developing a load for a Savage 99 w/ a MP 312-159 and W748. It's showing promise at 36 grains(pictured) and loads closer to max.

I just started development so I don't have a lot of info yet.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would go with at least a 180 gr. boolit. That's where the 30 bore begins to perform.

Jeez, carbine, this is a cast boolits board! Sheesh!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    waksupi,

EXACTAMENTO.

yours,tn46

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...

YOUR FAVORITE .300 Savage HUNTING LOAD - 150Grain GC?

"Still developing a load for a Savage 99 w/ a MP 312-159 and W748. It's showing promise at 36 grains(pictured) and loads closer to max.

I just started development so I don't have a lot of info yet."

----------------------------------------------------

I have both this mold and a model 99 in .300 Savage so I'm also interested in your results. I know the 180 grainers are probably better suited but wonder if this could be used for eastern whitetail? I know the RD 165 grainer is very popular in lever guns and is used for deer.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

There is no reason it wouldn't be sufficient for eastern whitetail. The max charge should be good for 2500 fps. That's more then enough power. I was hoping to have the load developed so my Uncle could use it for hunting this season. But I won't have the time before it starts at the end of the month.

Boolit Master
    The first couple of deer I killed with cast was with a 99G in .300 Savage. Load was Lyman 311466 (H.P. by drilling) pushed by 18.2 grains of IMR-4227 and, years later when I got a chrono, clocked 1724 fps. The latter deer was in excess of 200 yards, yes I was young and foolish.
    The last deer I killed with that rifle was with Lyman 31141 and 44 grains of H-4831 which ran 2083 and produced a 2" hole through the lungs.
    One other thing I'll add is, this old rifle shoots much better with cast than with jacketed.

Boolit Grand Master

One of my new hunting loads is 16 grs 2400 under a 165 gr RD CAST BOOLIT for about 1800 fps. It's in a 30-30 but you get the idea. My buddy has a 14 gr load that has a single-digit ES around 1600 fps with the same boolit and he's taking it hunting this year. Boolits don't have to be going very fast to do a good job on our TX whitetails and most eating-sized hogs.
    If you're buying a mould the RD 311-165 and 311-041 are hard to beat.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I want to shoot the rd311165 in my 300 savage 99. Will 16 grains of 2400 be a proper load?

If the bullet fits the throat of your rifle then 16gr. 2400 will probably be a good load. If the bullet does not fit the throat no load is going to shoot well. I suggest that you make some dummy loads and ink the bullets with a sharpie. After chambering the inked bullets should show a little loss of ink where it rubbed against the chamber throat. If so then that recipe should work well. Brodie

I think I know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    If the bullet fits the throat of your rifle then 16gr. 2400 will probably be a good load. If the bullet does not fit the throat no load is going to shoot well. I suggest that you make some dummy loads and ink the bullets with a sharpie. After chambering the inked bullets should show a little loss of ink where it rubbed against the chamber throat. If so then that recipe should work well. Brodie
    I think I know what you mean. You will see the imprint of the rifling in the outside of the bullet like when determining oal. If it doesn’t fit the throat then the bullet will be very deeply seated also?

Sixpointfive;
    Not that so much, but if the bullet is too small it will not enter the rifling straight. I understand that the model 99 has a very short or almost non existent throat, but the fact holds true. The area immediately prior to the rifling (or chamber throat) must be filled by the bullet or it can enter the rifling cocked or at an angle, get bent, deformed or just messed up and will not shoot to the group.

Brodie

Ok I bought the Noe mould for 300 sav

Old load dats starts out At 17 gr and goes to over 20 of 2400

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4228E85-4549-4C57-9C72-721A0A31791B.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	248954
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    Sixpointfive;
    Not that so much, but if the bullet is too small it will not enter the rifling straight. I understand that the model 99 has a very short or almost non existent throat, but the fact holds true. The area immediately prior to the rifling (or chamber throat) must be filled by the bullet or it can enter the rifling cocked or at an angle, get bent, deformed or just messed up and will not shoot to the group.

Brodie