Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cabela's store in town, bleh

Boolit Master

New Cabela's store in town, bleh

So I got invited to "pre troll" the new store 2 days before it really opens. Last night was for invited guests. My buddy couldn't go so his wife took me
    Anyway, I know they do not have the biggest fan base here, but never having been in one of their stores I had to go look.
    I found the appearance all right, and they had lots of stuff that other stores in town do not carry & more scopes in stock than I've ever seen in one place.
    Firearm prices high, ammo high, clothing really high, most fishing stuff high, but lures seem to be about on par with more variety.
    Gunpowder? The main reason I went was for powder. They had, 6 cans of Varget, 3 cans 3031, 3 cans of 4064, and one can of Clays.
    That was it. All at 29 bucks + per pound. Not impressed. And, not much for primers either. They did have a huge stock of j-words
    What I really found distasteful? It was very easy to tell that every employee was fresh off the sunshine pump.
    I guess I joined the club in finding them, . . . whats the word, . . .overrated.

Boolit Master
    They do have a better selection and prices than gouger mountain here but you can still find better prices at other places.
    Fishing lures don't seem too bad here either but Mills FF will usually do slightly better there too.

Boolit Buddy
    I happened to be wandering around the Cabela's in McKinney, Texas yesterday. Bought a 325 round box of .22 for $17.99, lots of appealing used handguns, no idea on the relative pricing, since I've been out of the market for quite a while......... They had a couple of used Savage 99's that looked to be fairly priced. If anyone wants a S&W Model 41, let me know; my old favorite gun shop has two of 'em.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Jim, I turned down an invite for the early viewing ****. I figure I'll wait until a week or so after New Years, when all of the returns are back in the bargain room.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Where the bloody heck did they get the Varget? Did they put that out as a tease?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Give them a couple of weeks so the newness wears off then ask someone if they have XXXX powder in the back room?

I have never seen them to have ALL of their powders on display.

Remember the NEWBIES have to learn just what and where the XXXX of items in their department are.

How long did it take you to fully understand your last job.

Give the new folks a break and understand that they have no one else to turn to for answers as they ALL are green as grass.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Moderator Emeritus

If you get the Cabela's credit card, they send you special deals.
    Most of the time it works out to 20% off.

I just used one last weekend.
    get $10 off of a $50 purchase.
    I bought a brick of primers for $38 and a Lyman inertia bullet puller for $22, then got $10 off the bill....making the primers about $30.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I like my Cabelas but I also know good help is hard to find. Their clothes aren't cheap but they're well-made and comfortable. I paid $28/lb for IMR4895 powder there a few days ago, my LGS's distributors can't seem to get any at any price. I run across a good used gun there now and then and with their credit card I always have points to use. Now's a good time to spend some time in the Gun Library, get to know a couple of guys there. They appreciate the opportunity to talk with a knowledgeable gun owner. They'll also come in handy when it comes time to make an offer on a gun that catches your eye. Another thing about their credit card; their call center is in Lincoln, NE. I use it for gas and Cabelas purchases and the points add up fast.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Where the bloody heck did they get the Varget? Did they put that out as a tease?
    I stopped in to Bruno's ( http://www.brunoshooters.com ) the other day and picked up a pound of Varget but it was over $30 bucks so only picked up one pound. I find Cabela's to be interesting but seldom has me opening my wallet any more.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I wouldn't like Cabelas either if they didn't have their Points system for their credit card. I use a card for almost every transaction after having money stolen from my wallet, and pay off my balance every month. The points I accumulate help significantly reduce the cost of my reloading and shooting hobby. With 2 small kids at home I cannot justify the cost of a lot of reloading supplies, but being able to get powder and primers for "free," has made the cost of my shooting just the cost of the lead wheel weights I buy. I am shooting 45acp for $0.02 per round, and 9mm for $0.01 per round.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

I see two reasons for the high prices at Cabela's.

#1 Somebody has to pay for that big impressive store you are browsing around in.

#2 The high prices subsidize their no questions asked return policy. I've seen stuff in the bargain cave that looks like it's been used for at least a year.
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Boolit Grand Master

I buy all my gas on a Cabelas credit card, and usually average about $200.00 a year credit. With that and discount promo deals, figure I average about 300.00 to 350.00 a year savings over their retail. So I guess it works out.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

I like cabelas. Their prices might not be the best on some things but others aren't so bad. The only problem is they opened a store in pa and now charge tax if I order from them. I have taken the wife and kids down to the store several times. It is a nice place to wander around with the little ones. We stay and eat lunch and then look around again then go home. We don't usually buy much, mostly go to site see (aquarium and all the stuffed animals).

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

Cabela's prices might be a little high on some things but their "no questions asked" return policy is great. I have used their Visa card for many years to purchase most everything, including a $18,000.00 pole barn once. The points add up nicely and when I go to Cabela's [ about once a year ] I get my powder, primers, and whatever usually free with my points. This makes their prices really cheap!
    Larry

Boolit Grand Master

When we were in NH there was a LL Bean's aftermarket sale at one of the unused old grocery stores. I bought a pair of sheepskin slippers. I relaced those three times before they finally tore. I bought a pair from Cablea's with my bucks. They lasted almost a year before they tore. I'm back wearing LL Bean's and this time they carry the guarantee!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

If you think you'll ever see $18.95/lb. powder ever again, you're dreaming.

Boolit Grand Master

Agree, once the prices go up, they stay up it seems!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

We're finally getting into the big leagues here. There's one scheduled to open by next spring. I wonder how they'll compare to the Sportsman's Warehouse that we have now?
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

The secret to Cabela's is buy when the item is on sale. Their firearm prices are below MSRP which they weren't always. And the selection is huge compared to the local stores by me. They had CCI primers on sale a few weeks back for $30. Look at Powder Valley's price for them and then figure on shipping and hazmat to find out how many you would have to buy to come in below Cabela's price. I make all my purchases this way. I almost walked out of Cabela's with two Savage 99s last time I was there. The prices were a little high but both were in great shape, in the calibers I was looking for and they were there. The fact that they have a firearm in stock has led to me buying quite a few from them.

Boolit Master
    Rick, great idea about waiting til after the holidays.
    You know as well as I what people around here are like with a new store.
    I realize powder prices are never going down, what I call the big BS on is the fact
    that you cant get it when it is available from the manufacturers