RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So, you're skinning out your deer and your knife is dull......

I use the gatco standard stone kit, fine gets you to a nice 400grit edge. That let's you pick the bevel angle from 11-30 degrees. I added the fine diamond(600 grit) & the fine ceramic(1200 grit). It works quick & accurate, holds the edege for dressing & butchering several deer. All fits in a little case. I would highly recommend it.

As fer skinin deers. Well, I use my truck. Youtube it.

Boolit Grand Master

I can verify that the window trick does work. I prefer the 2nd knife trick but it's good to have a backup plan. I prefer to skin with one knife and butcher with another. Hunting in the south we generally have to get meat in the cooler within a matter of hours after the kill, no time for hand fatigue from dull knives.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    So let me get this strait. First roll window down then shoot deer. Then roll window half way up and then sharpen knife. Ok got it. HA HA HA. That's a great idea you learn all kind of good stuff here.
    The way they close hunting season on the reservation here, is to take all of the window cranks out of the pick ups.

Some of the posters either need a new knife, or to learn how to sharpen them. With my old Camillus double blade lock back Trapper model, I have dressed an elk, and two deer, which included splitting the brisket on all three. You could still shave with it. Good enough knife, that I bought another for a spare. Should sell it, the first one will out last me!
    Last edited by waksupi; 11-07-2013 at 03:50 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Well ****. Now I gotta go try it

Boolit Grand Master

Please report the results.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Last year's 10 point was gutted with my Spyderco Endura 50-50. It was dull from using it at work all day. Wish I knew this then. Have used the coffee cup trick and it does work.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    You don't have to have your truck handy ......... the way Wardens show up unexpected .......... just borrow his window ......... and if he gets a little testy about that ....... then tell him it's the window or his coffee cup a gettin' bloody!!

One thing about the ceramic cup ...... a broken one with the handle still attached was what was first suggested to me ....... I did not have a broken one though.

Best regards .......

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    Great info Tim, I will try this in the morn. Have to be careful here as to which blade I take out. Is it the correct length, does it have a lock, Oh can't take a fixed blade out in public nonono.

Ghost101

Boolit Bub
    auto glass and coffee cups, great info.

There is a certain type of light bulb with a ceramic filament approx. 2" long, fits well in the pocket and works a good edge.

Mark#35

Boolit Bub
    That type of light bulb is a high pressure sodium. The ceramic part varies in length with wattage. A 1000 watt lamp has one about 7 or 8 inches as I remember. Works like a steel.

Boolit Master
    I carry several knives and a few sharpeners. Most often the truck is several hours to several days away. When you hunt remote, you don't forget the really important stuff.

Boolit Master

I hate using folders on animals because the lock mechanism gets all full of critter parts. I always carry two knives just in case one gets dull. I like a Helle laminated knife. They are made of good steel. I don't gut them. I do the gutless method. I am usually so far back in that I just carry out what I'm going to eat.