MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, you're skinning out your deer and your knife is dull......

Boolit Grand Master

So, you're skinning out your deer and your knife is dull......

It's happened to all of us. We're skinning a deer, and the darn knife gets dull halfway through the job, and we end up just muscling our way through the job, mangling meat as we go.
    There is no sharpening stone, steel nothing. You probably just rolled the edge of your knife over, but it doesn't matter if you don't have anything to straighten it!

I'll give you a little tip that works so well, you might just prefer it to many other sharpening systems. It's usually with you, and mere feet away from the deer you are wrestling with.

Simply walk over to your truck, roll the window down half way, and use the edge of the glass as a ceramic sharpening edge. It works really really well.

This trick was taught to me by one of my best friends. He is paralyzed from the waste down, and his truck is his life. I gave him a spyderco endura years ago as a birthday gift. He used to have me sharpen it (I'm a trained knifemaker and sharpening things is what I do). but then he learned this trick and showed it to me.
    Been using it for about 2 years now, and I can honestly endorse it as an excellent alternative!

I actually prefer the edge that this method puts on the knife, for butchering deer. It gives it a lot of "bite".
    Give it a try! I guarantee that you will wonder why you never heard or thought of this before.

Hopefully, this will get some of you fellers out of a jam this year at deer camp.

Good hunting!!!
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 11-06-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Sounds brilliant.

Boolit Master

I always carry an aluminum oxide gear hone in my pocket.To me they are one of the best hones around for sharping,honing burrs and the like.Here at the house I have a medium grit and fine grit that is 2" wide.The pocket one is 1/4"x4"x1".I think I bought these from Morton Hones.

you can use your leather belt as a strop too

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    I always carry an aluminum oxide gear hone in my pocket.To me they are one of the best hones around for sharping,honing burrs and the like.Here at the house I have a medium grit and fine grit that is 2" wide.The pocket one is 1/4"x4"x1".I think I bought these from Morton Hones.
    I carry a Smiths carbide, ceramic, and diamond pocket knife sharpener. It works amazingly well until I get to skinning my deer and realize I left it in my other pants.
    Stuff happens. You don't need a sharpener to get to the woods and shoot a deer. However, if you don't have a truck you are in pretty big trouble. That truck probably has a window.
    Trust me, just remember this trick. You WILL need it someday.
    Like I said, I used to make knives and I have a kit of fine stones that I try to remember to take to camp with me.......and yet, I'm giving you this advice.
    Hmmm, I must have forgot once or twice eh?

Boolit Master
    Turn your ceramic coffee cup upside down ......... it works as well.

Good tip Tim!!

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    Havalon Piranta is what I use for everything on critters, except when butchering where I use a couple larger knives. The piranta has replacement blades and when they get dull I change them out.... one blade gets through a whole elk for skinning and quartering as well as some meat cutting.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Vendor Sponsor

Great Tip... would have never thought of that
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Dull knife? Be my luck I would show up with three sets of stones and forget the knife.

The top knife in the photo is the Beretta Loveless drop-point hunter I got for a pig hunt with Glen Fryxell a few years ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knives-9.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	86681

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Djones View Post
    you can use your leather belt as a strop too
    I have done that in the past. The problem is that a razor edge doesn't bite like an edge that was dressed with a steel, or a ceramic rod. The strop is good for dusting that ultra fine edge, but if its used any more than a little, it will roll the edge over.
    Try this: roll an old shirt up into a ball and cut it with a really well stropped edge. Note the effort that was expended, and the number of layers that were cut.
    Now, sharpen that same knife really well with a steel or a ceramic rod, and repeat the test. It might surprise you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Turn your ceramic coffee cup upside down ......... it works as well.

Good tip Tim!!

Three 44s
    Oh that's goooood......

Boolit Master

Good tips

Boolit Buddy

Never would have thought of that and there have been times when this would have been useful...now if I can just remember it the next time!

Thanks, David

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Havalon Piranta is what I use for everything on critters, except when butchering where I use a couple larger knives. The piranta has replacement blades and when they get dull I change them out.... one blade gets through a whole elk for skinning and quartering as well as some meat cutting.
    I do the same. Its very light ands minimal weight to the pack. Thats important when hiking in the mountains. If the blade gets dull, just change it out and keep going.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

Great tips, assuming you remember your knife and have a window handy! Thats normally not a problem but one day I was alone with a deer and no knife I went back to the truck hopeing the knife was on the seat. No luck but I did find one single edge razor blade
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

With the name "goodsteel" I'd think a dull knife was impossible!....thanks for the tip, I learned something quite useful. One problem though; out west where I hunt the PU is several miles away with a couple large canyons in between...........or I have the jeep and it doesn't have roll down windows..............and I don't carry a ceramic coffee cup out there with me............I do carry a good steel with me in my pack to touch up the edge, especially if the game is elk.........good tips and useful anyways........

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Good tips. My suggestion is to always have two knifes with you, both sharp! One on the belt, the other a good folding knife with two or three sharp blades in your pocket. Anybody who has ever hunted Africa has seen skinners sharpen their knifes on just about any rock that they can find, and they do a great job, but you don't want to lend them your $150.00 prize belt knife.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Perma-Banned

That's a good tip Tim

Boolit Master
    Tim, I think you mentioned the truck window trick a year or so back. I had forgotten about it. Maybe now I'll remember. Maybe.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

In Remembrance
    Another vote for the havalon, you just never have a dull knife, when you need one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast