MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: 30/06

Boolit Buddy

30/06

Can someome reccomend a load w/or w/o gc for my 742 remmy. I have the lee 309/ 150 fn mold for my 30/30 so I would like to use that if possible, sorry if this has been asked before. No hotrod stuff, just reliable target/ hunting. Thanks
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

The 742 is a semi auto so I have no idea if the classic 16 grains of Alliant 2400 would work or not but it might be a place to start.

Boolit Grand Master
    VERY unlikely that the 2400 load would cycle the Rem.742.

Of course, nothing wrong with manually cycling the rounds after they have fired.

Please be certain that your bore is 100% copper free prior to shooting your cast bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Try 28 gr of 4895 with a 3/4 gr Dacron filler and work up to reliable functioning. Best accuracy will probably be there. You'd be better served both with accuracy and with functional reliability with a heavier cast bullet in the '06 in you semi-auto M742.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    How heavy and what style, rn, fn? thanks again.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    FYI my M1 Garand with new replacement op rod spring requires 40 grs. of 4064 with HM2. 312-160-5 to feed and cycle. Flat nose is no issue with feeding. Velocity 2070 fps, shoots on at 100 yds. with 300 yd. sight dope for Ball M2, grouping is same as Ball ammo. Ordinary CMP M1 is not "accurized" so 4" for 8 rds. with iron sights at 100 yds. is "normal." No leading with water dropped COWW and Lee 50-50 Alox-beeswax.

Thanks Outpost75, I have been shooting cast in my '03 and wondering how they would do in a Garand. I'm going to use your dope as a starting point.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    How heavy and what style, rn, fn? thanks again.
    The Lyman 311299 or the Lee 200 gr RN would serve you very well in your Rem 742.

Larry Gibson