MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Surplus 10B101 (Lot #90A-009) Anyone used it in slug loads/shotshell loads?

Surplus 10B101 (Lot #90A-009) Anyone used it in slug loads/shotshell loads?

Hey all,

I originally posted in the Surplus Powder forum but still need some help. I've got a good supply of this powder and wanted to try various slug loadings (both of the Lee's and Lyman 525 grain) 12 gauge in smoothbores (nothing I have is rifled). I wanted to start at 25 grains with the Lee 7/8 oz. Too light to start and will I have the problems associated with this stuff getting compression? I understand it is supposed to be between Herco and Blue Dot--closer to Blue Dot. I'm going to weigh the charges initially. I seek the sage advice of experts. I made a mistake in the posting there on the Lot #--Lot# 91A-009 is what I have (got to get the eyes checked)!

The information on casting with the Lee drive key slugs (from forum members) was perfect. Smoke the mold only and use the drop out spray ONLY on the center drive key pin. The slugs came out perfectly after the first two. Got good hulls and wads and nitro cards standing by.
    Last edited by johnny_xring; 11-06-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    the biggest concern with 10B101 is the compression issue[loading]
    shot shells do not have a way to control the wad to keep it from compressing the powder
    talked on the phone with RedneckDan last night about your other posting under surplus powder
    and advised me not to try it with shot shells [Dad]due to the pressure spike wen it is compressed
    I thought about doing the same thing with the Lyman 525 Gr slug
    at this point I am not going to do it
    not worth having a gun come unglued

Doc.

Doc,

That was my concern and I was wondering if there was any other experience on this propellant's use. i have read all the threads about surplus 10B101 and the "spike" problem. I am about to cancel the idea of using this as a shotshell alternative because I don't want to scatter anything either. This stuff works in rifle/pistol applications according to the forum members that have used it and I can go down that road in the meanwhile. I have used surplus powders before but they have always been close to a commercial (if not near duplicate) powder. Guess some cast bullets for some other loadings will be going downrange first.

That is the great thing about this site---lots and lots of information available.