Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a large chunk of lead in the smelting pot?

Boolit Mold

How to get a large chunk of lead in the smelting pot?

If you were blessed with the challenge of getting a 200+ chunk of lead in the smelting pot how would you do it?

The lead is some sort of weight, so it has a few steel bolts through some parts of it.

I've thought about trying to use an axe to just hack off small pieces one at a time. It seems like some would be lost.

I've thought about using a cutting torch. I doubt it would cut like steel, but still might be the best way.

I've thought about some sort of saw, but it seems like the lead would gum up the blade pretty quickly.

I'm sure some of you have solved this problem before, yes?

Boolit Master

Use a cutting tourch save your ax. Make sure you don't breath the smoke it makes and also have something to catch the drippings. 200 lbs you should be able to cut it into 8 peices O lead in no time.

In Remembrance
    You don't say if it's a slab or a block, but I would use a splitting wedge and sledge hammer.
    It's possible to take off large or small chunks with pretty good control...and without 'losing' any.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    The idea of a torch terrifies me, and I'm fearless. Acetylene temps will vaporize lead, and I much doubt you could avoid breathing the vapors without scuba gear.

The salvage pros use a chainsaw. I'd use a junk chain and do it on a tarp to catch the chips. I'd also use good eye protection.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Bub
    I cut up and smelted some nuke plant stuff for a
    neighbor. Big sheets and plates..... I used an axe. Went fast!

Boolit Mold
    You don't say if it's a slab or a block
    I varies in thickness up to about 6 inches.

You asked how to get it into the pot...

The fastest way is to use the torch. Be aware of fumes.

The safest way is with a chainsaw or axe and wedges.

I've used a torch for years without harm since I can put my pot outside and let the wind take the fumes...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    Boy do I wish that I had that problem!!!

Sawzall and a coarse wood blade at low to med speed will do the trick or a bandsaw with coarse tooth blade
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I've got a ton of X-Ray room wall plate. It's pure lead, 1/4" thick. I use a Snap-On air chisel with a modified panel cutter bit. Cuts through the lead at about one foot a second. I cut strips about 4" wide, roll them up, and drop them in the 30lb capacity plumber's furnace pot.

I could use some advice.
    I've just finished a large pot I made out of an eight inch length of ten inch schedule forty pipe by welding a steel plate to the bottom. My calculations tell me it will hold 225lbs. max., or 200 lbs. useful capacity. I don't want to use it on my plumber's furnace, because I want to run both pots. I was planning to buy a turkey fryer when they go on sale. These are regulated, my propane plumber's furnace isn't, it being The blowtorch type. Will a turkey fryer have enough BTU's to quickly melt 200lbs. of lead? Can they hold this kind of weight, or will I have to build a frame? Thanks for any help,

Morgan

Boolit Master
    Get a bigger pot !

Actually not joking completely. I built a large pot out of remnant steel by welding up 12" square tubing (3/16" wall) for under $20.00. It will handle very large chunks and saves a bunch of cutting and pounding. This much weight required me to beef up my single burner high pressure propane camp stove. It is a heavy duty U.S. made unit (not a turkey cooker from China). I have had over 300 pounds sitting on it without any trouble.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Mold
    I went after it with an axe and sledge for a half hour and got a two pound chunk off. I took a try at the sawsall and it was going slower than that. I can see why people use a chainsaw.

I like the air chisel idea, and can see why the idea is superior having used one frequently. Unfortunately I don't have any compressed air in my shop. Maybe it's time I made amends. This project is getting expensive...

Boolit Master

Like i said go for the tourch and have it done with. Make use of a slight cross wind/breeze to keep the fumes away from you. Don't have the wind to your back or it will curl around and go right in your face.

Boolit Master
    Well ..... you will have to factor in not having to go to a gym to work out ..... thus saving bucks there! .......... LOL!

My idea on an oversize burner: A propane weed burner torch. the head on mine is removabe and I installed an 90 degree elbow right behind it ....... cut a slot in the base of a short piece of well casing ........ made a base for the well casing and cut out for the lead pot in an old sprocket and welded it to the top of the well casing to hold the lead pot level.

My other advise is don't get carried away ....... DEMS some real BTU's!!!!!!!!!

Three 44s

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Swingpress, if you can manage to get that into a 22 inch circle, by 22 inches high, we can smelt that down for you. Naturally, we'd have to have a commission taken out of it. Ship it on a pallet. If interested, PM us.... Sundog or felix ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

I'd stay away from the torch unless there is too much steel in it to use a chainsaw.

I have chainsawed quite a bit of lead and never had trouble.

The lead vapours as mentioned are very bad and an acetylene torch will cause a lot of vapour. A large tiger torch (propane or natural gas) would be slower but safer if you go the torch route - melt edges off into a metal container rather than try to cut like steel.

You could always do like the old stonemasons when cutting huge slabs of rock. Just drill holes or cut a slot, then drive in wedges. OR, drill a series of undersized holes in line with each other, then drive spikes in. Lead will stretch a bit, but will break off. Beats the hell out of the "hatchet job" method.

There is one other option that most seem to be forgetting ; though my first trick would be to use a chainsaw, preferably with an old chain. The other option would be to use a hydraulic press with a splitting blade on it , ie a variation of a log splitter. 20 tons of pressure would cut though aobut any chunks that you had damn fast. I know that a log splitter will split elm and it takes a lot of work to split that with a good slpitting maul.

Boolit Master

Morgan: Turkey fryers aren't all the same. Most are rated abut 30,00 BTU's. I got mine from a sporting goods store and it is rated 70,00 BTU's. It melts down 180 lbs of lead in my pot in about half an hour. My coleman stove that was about 12,000 BTU's would take an hour to melt down 80 lbs. It makes a difference. If you want to know if it will take the weight then just stand on it and jump up and down. Most guys are about 200 lbs, more or less.

I can just see the headlines now! "Man gets thrown out of a Walmart after he tries to commit suicide by roasting himself in a turkey fryer"

Seriously, thats a good idea, I'll check for BTU rating also.
    Morgan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast