RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show off your K-38's!!

Show off your K-38's!!

Here's mine. Smith 14-2 target masterpiece
    Made in 1968. Super slick action and trigger. Loves the NOE version of Lyman's 358477 over 5 grains of Unique, or 3.2 grains of Titegroup. Sized to .358 and lubed with BAC.
    Let's see your .38 target gun!
    Attachment 86345
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I am not much for mutual admiration societies but for this I will make an exception.

This is my 14-1. A couple of years ago I had some credit at the local gun store. The owner asked my if I wanted a Model 14. I said yes, what is a model 14?.
    Attachment 86356

It is completely humbling to shoot this revolver, I am not worthy.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

I kinda feel the same way Darrell.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master

14-6 bought new in the late 1990's

Boolit Master
    Yep, 14s are very nice revolvers. They were (in a modified form) the No. 1 platform for most serious competitive PPC shoots back in the day. Up until recently had a pre-14 and a 14-3. The 14-3 was in nearly unfired condition but it was not quite as accurate as the pre-14 so on the sale block it went. The only one I have now is this 1955 pre-14.

Boolit Master
    My son likes to fill the air with 9mm cases in one of his high capacity semi-autos. They all usually land somewhere on the paper. Every once in a while, I hand him one of my K-38's and have him shoot it single-action. His groups are usually tighter than mine. Then he hands it back and says, "That's no fun. You can't miss with it."

I have two of them. Both are equally accurate even thought they were built about a dozen years apart.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want a lot of K-38/Mod 14 eye candy, take a look at this thread over on the S&W Forum;

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...ariations.html

I've had to wipe the drool off my screen repeatedly. :coffee com

Froggie

I have not been without a K-38 in over 40 years. As that would suggest I have had quite a few. The only one I have left, was purchased new me by me in 1980. It is a scary accurate handgun.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Those are nice, one thing Char-Gar is as good at as he is making the wood is firearm photography. Getting a picture of a firearm to turn out really, really well is kinda tough but not for him. I've got boolit pictures down pretty well but guns are tough.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

No dash:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_17110001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	86443

Had a single action in the 1970s.

Rick...I just go out on the screened in back porch and lean the handgun against the plastic pumpkin and take a pic with a cheap camera. Not much to it. Most of the time, the flash does not even kick in.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by char-gar View Post
    rick...i just go out on the screened in back porch and lean the handgun against the plastic pumpkin and take a pic with a cheap camera. Not much to it. Most of the time, the flash does not even kick in.
    ha!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of 4" ones that are not pretty to look at. Pretty is as pretty does, scary accurate. I'm sure Jerry will be in to blow us away with some pics.

Ebner

Boolit Buddy
    Here is one that my Sister inherited from Dad...It is a 14-4 from 1977...
    The grips are Magna 'style' that I did out of Ash for her...
    She has the original grips, box, and paperwork...

Boolit Buddy
    Not a K-38 but an unusual Distinguished Combat Magnum, a 586 with a 6" Python barrel. Most accurate handgun I have ever owned.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB190006.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	88074

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had a long running love affair with the S&W K-frame Targets. I have a couple here that have been favorites. Top; a 1950 vintage K-38. Bottom; a 1948 Vintage K-22. Everybody should have one of each!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rimfire:centerfire.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	88155

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

My Model 14. A tried, true and accurate revolver. Seems like it's always been around and waiting to go to the range or to the field.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

This is my 14 no dash. Got it in trade in pathetic and neglected shape but the interior was well oiled. No exterior pits but spots of freckling and a finger print on the back strap. Rifling is sharp and no rust inside the barrel or cylinder. Guy I traded with said it was left to him by his Grandfather and hadn't been fired for at least 20 years. I had the Model 14 re-finished, gunsmith strip clean and oil and I installed after-market grips. I got the original grips but haven't got around to giving them the TLC they need. At the range despite its awful appearance it shoots on par with my 38/44.

Pawn shop only offered the previous owner 85 and he wanted a deer rifle in exchange. I gave up a sportorized K98 8MM Mauser for it. The Mauser would be better described as chopped. The original WW2 German and Nazi markings had all been over stamped with a checkerboard type stamp. Israeli I suspect as it had a Star of David stamped on the receiver. All original with the exception of the chopped short stock and removal of the handguard. I gave about 35 - 45bucks for the Mauser about 25 years ago.

Boolit Master
    Well, this one is pretty early, roughly 1915. it predates the heavy barrels, but has target sights and is very accurate:

It was a pawn shop rescue a few years ago, and I take it to the range every few months or so. It keeps up with much newer target guns in the accuracy department, and has a pretty serious cool factor.
    Last edited by NoZombies; 11-26-2013 at 01:58 AM.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a K-22 (Model 617 x 6") and a K-32 (Model 16-4 x 6") on staff, but haven't had a K-38 Masterpiece Target for 20+ years. I should remedy that oversight.....I really should. For now, a Colt Officer's Model Target x 6" (c. 1949) does good work on paper and varmints, so I'm not exactly laboring in a deprived state here. But a Model 14 of some sort would be welcome, if the tariff wasn't excessive. The prices tagged on the few I saw at the August 2013 Reno gun show surpassed ridiculous.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast