Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: New 1:14 twist 30-06

Boolit Grand Master

For instance, do you think it's really RPM that's getting you, or the damage that naturally happens when you slam a soft boolit into fast twist rifling?

Goodsteel

To arrive at the correct answer you must separate the two distinct parts of ballistics which you and many others lump into one. There is "internal ballistics" which is what happens to the bullet in the barrel during ignition, acceleration and exit from the barrel. This is where you are mainly focused. As mentioned before; you can have a perfectly cast and loaded concentric and balanced bullet in a cartridge loaded into as close to perfect rifle as possible and yet it can be sufficiently damaged during the internal ballistic phase to cause some degree of inaccuracy.

In the other ballistic phase called "external ballistics" from the bullets exit of the barrel to target impact is where the centrifugal force comes into play acting upon those imbalances in the bullet. As we can see the external ballistic phase is completely different. For a given cast bullet at a given RPM the centrifugal force will be there and there is nothing that a perfectly made rifle can do about it or change it. However, as mentioned the more balanced we can launch the bullet the less imbalance that centrifugal force has to act upon.

In all my pressure testing of equal loads in different twist 223s and .308Ws I have yet to see real evidence (velocity variation, psi variation or any difference in the time/pressure curves) that a cast bullet is "slammed" into a fast twist barrel any "harder" that a slow twist barrel. The bullet is fully engraved and spinning at the rate of the twist at one bearing surface of bullet travel. That happens very early in the time/pressure curve well before the peak psi is reached and well before the full velocity is reached (at the muzzle). Bullets slamming into the fast twist rifling harder sounds good in theory but I've found no proof of it in closed breach rifles.

Why is it that a powder with a gentler energy profile seems to give better accuracy from cast boolits?

Because the slower time/pressure curve causes less obturation, slumping and/or collapsing of the bullet. Thus it causes less damage and imbalance to the bullet. Take an ingot of lead and push it across the bench 26" with a hammer. Then smack it the same 26" across the floor in one whack with the hammer.....see the damage difference to the ingot.....same principle applies. A softer slower time pressure curve will always cause less damage to the cast bullet during acceleration than a faster burning powder even though both may hit the same peak psi. BTW; even given the same peak psi the slower time/pressure curve will also produce the higher velocity.

Could it be that the very fact that faster twist rifling has a more aggressive engraving characteristics is the real reason the RPM appears to be a limiter?

As already discussed; nice in theory but it doesn't prove out........If it were the case then the slower twist barrels would maintain accuracy at a higher RPM since the bullets didn't "slam" into the rifling as hard and were thus less damaged/imbalanced. But they don't, accuracy in the slower twist barrels goes south at the same or even a bit lower RPM than in the faster twist barrels. Yes the velocity is higher in the slower twist barrels but the accuracy loss at pretty much the same RPM. That is the proof.

Have we just been hammering nails into trees?

Probably, at least until we separate internal ballistics from external ballistics and understand the causes and effects during both. BTW; there are 3 spate phases of ballistics; internal, external and terminal ballistics. All 3 are separate and have different physical forces affecting them. That is why when we combine 2 of them we can just be hammering nails into trees...........

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 11-11-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Additionally

By all means do make the rifles as precise as possible because that is one way we lesson the potential for imparting additional imbalances to cast bullets and to raise the RPM threshold. However, if we are dealing with a factory rifle, be it commercial or milsurp, then it is what it is and we must expect a probable lower RPM threshold all other things being equal.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 11-11-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Smooth bore guns work fine indeed when the projectile is guided externally. ... felix
    felix

sometimes I have flashes back to some reading I did in another lifetime

this one was about a boolit with a hollow core, and how that would affect the RPM threshold....

but for the life of me, I can't remember where I read it....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

This is my problem with Larry's "threshold". I've seen numerous posts by him stating that people that are having trouble with accuracy at 1800+ fps in a 10 twist won't be able to get it because they in this "threshold", rather than helping them obtain good casting or loading technics to further accuracy or that someone won't be able to attain accuracy if they want to shoot there 10 twist at 2000+ fps.

I say if this "threshold" isn't a limit, what is it's purpose and why so many posts about loosing accuracy because of it? If someone has exceeded the "threshold" with accuracy, it's, well it's only a "threshold" and not a limit. A threshold is a entry way and if you go through a threshold, you enter something different, in this case it's assumed by almost anyone (yes, that's the way it's always presented) that you enter a area with LESS accuracy. If you can completely cross it with better accuracy than 90% of target shooters, there is something wrong. With more confidence, I will say that this "threshold" starts at the minimum rpm that any bullet will stabilize gets better and worse throught it's travel down the barrel and out to the target.

Something that I find has been neglected in this discussion is heat. The heat of the propellant burning, the heat of pressure (2 deg per lb of compression), the heat of friction in the barrel and the heat of the bullet in supersonic flight.

I seen no evidence of scientific testing, such as a blind test (an objective shooter not involved in the theroy) , using one action and several barrel twists, barrels of the same length and conuture, chambered with the same reamer. And then there are so many bullets lengths, bullet types, nose shapes, primer and powders to consider, also. Another thing that you will find in doing as suggested is "nods" of accuracy that have to be evaluated and seperated from the RPM data.

I also agree with Felix regarding smaller calibers and the effect of distance of the imbalance from the center of mass.

Frank
    Last edited by frnkeore; 11-11-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I realize that each ballistic condition should be considered separately.
    However, I would pose you the question of which has the most effect on a boolit performance?
    The way I see it, the further away from the primer you get, the less effect a variance is going to have on a boolit's flight. Personally, I think the lions share of the problems are happening in the chamber of the rifle itself. The external ballistics are merely a way of measuring your proficiency at dealing with internal ballistics.
    I also hold that a copper or paper jacket is just a way to glaze over problems with lousy internal ballistics. It gives the boolit a cushion and allows you to get away with normal reloading techniques, that depend on crutches like copper jackets to get around certain things that are too much of a pain to compensate for if you want your ammo to be used in any chamber.
    The thing is, we're not just shooters we're handloaders. We are in the business of customizing ammo to our specific guns, so why not take it all the way?
    Why not make everything fit correctly, and why explain away lousy high-speed groups with external ballistics, when we are in the business of controlling external ballistics with internal ballistics? One effects the other to a lesser degree as you go on down the line to the end result of terminal ballistics.
    I don't see why we would suggest that external ballistics controls something that is behind it in the order of progression.
    If a theory were to be made, it seems that it would be far more logical to suggest that perfect internal ballistics would result in perfect external ballistics etc etc etc.
    I demand logic dad burn it! LOL!
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 11-11-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Love Life
    I wonder, I wonder....

As I sit hear reading this many things come to mind. Some say there is a RPM thresh old and others say the boolits shred due to some issue with poor rifle build, poor bore, etc.

An experiment is in order. If indeed an RPM thresh hold exists, period, is it safe to assume that a 40 gr bullet hammered down a 1 in 7.5 twist 243 would vaporize? Would that not show that RPM can indeed shred a bullet? Assuming the rifle is up to snuff of course...

A little more thought here. So, if a rifle were perfect in all aspects, would a RPM thresh hold not exist?

Those seem to be the 2 lines of thought here.

A) A RPM thresh hold does exist
    B) A RPM thresh hold does not exist. The boolit/bullet shreds due to alignment issues, bad bore, poor casting, etc.

What if you swaged lead rifle projectiles? Wouldn't that alleviate the poor casting issues?

Boolit Grand Master

Love life, not really true.
    We all agree that the RPM threshold exists. Some of us disagree with the assertion that it is the reason accuracy falls apart above a certain RPM that is drastically lower than similar boolits that are gift wrapped.
    Personally, I really want to buy Larry a steak dinner, and he made the mistake of promising that he would come out here to witness my success (thereby giving me the opportunity to do so) if I am able to successfully prove my point.
    I've been thinking about it though, and I think it would be better if I went out to see him instead. (the fact that he has an Ohler shooting lab never entered my mind)
    Course, I've got the little problem of getting a rifle to shoot first, but I shan't be bothered with details! LOL!
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 11-11-2013 at 05:25 PM.

I do know I have a Marlin 336A in 30-30 that will shot a 170 grain FNGC bullet at an honest 2,100+ fps over a stout charge of 3031 powder and will deliver great accuracy. Dropping the velocity to 1.7K fps does not improve accuracy. The rifle has a 1-10 barrel. So the RPM threshold does have some slip and slide in it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Larry - you state that the centrifugal force causes the unbalanced boolit to veer off. I say the imbalance in the boolit allows the centrifugal force to act upon it. In short we are saying the same thing. Again it comes down to semantics, terminology and which came first the chicken or the egg. In the end everything else all are pretty much in agreement with.

One last thing and I will lay this to rest. If rpm was such a limiting factor how is it that Bullshop was able to shoot a lead alloy 22 cal boolit at 4,000 fps in a 1:10" twist and maintain close to moa accuracy? And what is the rpm of said boolit? I do know he didn't do it by limiting the rpm.

Respectfully

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I do know I have a Marlin 336A in 30-30 that will shot a 170 grain FNGC bullet at an honest 2,100+ fps over a stout charge of 3031 powder and will deliver great accuracy. Dropping the velocity to 1.7K fps does not improve accuracy. The rifle has a 1-10 barrel. So the RPM threshold does have some slip and slide in it.
    Actually char, your all over it like a cheap suit. 2100 out of a 1-10 puts you at about 150,000rpm. Right where Larry says you aught to be (140,000 - 160,000rpm).

OK, I made it out to the range today with some different ammo. RCBS 165SIL, wheelweight metal water quenched, lubed with 50/50 alox/beeswax. Load was 44gr. IMR4895 since that worked well the last time with the Ranch Dog boolits. First shot at paper at 100M, decent but not amazing. Right at 1MOA, with most of it being vertical. Took my last ten rounds, spent two getting a zero, and shot the last 8 at the 500M hanging steel. Right at a 6 inch group in the middle of the plate. (the three outliers were already there, I swear!) Not going to set the world on fire but certainly respectable I believe for naked cast boolits at somewhere between 2400 and 2500 fps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rem 30-06 #1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	87209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Target Plate #2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	87210

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brotherdarrell View Post
    Larry - you state that the centrifugal force causes the unbalanced boolit to veer off. I say the imbalance in the boolit allows the centrifugal force to act upon it. In short we are saying the same thing. Again it comes down to semantics, terminology and which came first the chicken or the egg. In the end everything else all are pretty much in agreement with.

One last thing and I will lay this to rest. If rpm was such a limiting factor how is it that Bullshop was able to shoot a lead alloy 22 cal boolit at 4,000 fps in a 1:10" twist and maintain close to moa accuracy? And what is the rpm of said boolit? I do know he didn't do it by limiting the rpm.

Respectfully

Darrell
    Bullshop isn't the only one who has done that. You do some digging and you run a cross lots of members that have accomplished this feat.

Darn nice looking rifle you got there Nobade! Good shooting too!

Goodsteel - not sure you saw that correctly. That was a 22 cal cast boolit at 4,000 fps, not 3,000 fps. I have done a lot of digging and the closest I have seen was Bullshop, again, with a 221 fireball around 3400 fps, and that was not with a 1:10" and it was not moa(if I remember correctly). It is petty darn good, though, and better than I have done.

Darrell
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear the fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Eph. 2:8-10

Kill da wabbitt!!! KILL DA WABBITT!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

frnkeore

I say if this "threshold" isn't a limit, what is it's purpose and why so many posts about loosing accuracy because of it? If someone has exceeded the "threshold" with accuracy, it's, well it's only a "threshold" and not a limit. A threshold is a entry way and if you go through a threshold, you enter something different, in this case it's assumed by almost anyone (yes, that's the way it's always presented) that you enter a area with LESS accuracy.

Right idea but convoluted. The threshold is not a limit as a limit is set. A threshold, in this case the RPM threshold, is not set as such. I have said many, many times and explain it in the thread I advised you to read that the RPM threshold can be moved up or down. With a given rifle and given components once you cross the threshold inaccuracy is the result. char-gar's claim with his 10" twist 30-30 is just above the general range of the RPM threshold I have stated over and over. He has pushed the RPM threshold up with his rifle and components. I bet if he used everything the same except the powder and used 2400 instead he would not get the same accuracy at 2100 fps.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Love life

A little more thought here. So, if a rifle were perfect in all aspects, would a RPM thresh hold not exist?

You can easily have the perfect rifle (well if you can afford it) but the trick is also to cast perfect bullets, load them perfectly and accelerate them w/o unbalancing/damaging them. IF you can do that so the cast bullets are then perfectly balanced in flight with the center of mass (form), center of gravity and the center spin all perfectly coinciding there would be no RPM threshold. Reason being the centrifugal force would be affecting the bullets equally in all directions.

Do we see where the trick to this lays?

Larry Gibson

That's good shooting Nobade! Looks like you and that rifle were made for each other. Congratulations on a fine shooting rig. Looks good too.

Love Life
    What about swaged lead boolits? Wouldn't they be more balanced than a cast boolit? Would swaged lead boolits have a higher thresh hold?

I see where the trick lays. Many layers to this onion here and it makes for great reading.

Larry,
    If your "threshold" can be pushed both up and down, why is it valid? Why not just say that you may have throuble getting accuracy above a certain RPM if, your casting, loading and rifle build aren't at a optimum. You could also add that the absolute max. RPM is X and X can not be exceeded with accuracy.

You also need to define that accuracy in MOA if you like but, it does need to be defined. 4 MOA @ 100 is fine for taking deer at that range but, 1 MOA @ 100 won't win a cast bullet match.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

brotherdarrell

One last thing and I will lay this to rest. If rpm was such a limiting factor how is it that Bullshop was able to shoot a lead alloy 22 cal boolit at 4,000 fps in a 1:10" twist and maintain close to moa accuracy?

Bullshop did that by using a sabot. The bullet was held in place and not allowed to be damaged during acceleration by the sabot. Same as with a jacketed bullet with a lead core. Same as Hornady standard 55 gr SPs can be driven to 4000 fps out of 14" twist barrels but the very same designed Hornady 55 gr SX with a thinner jacket will spin apart at 3600 or so fps. Same reason Siearra Blitz bullets can be spun apart.....same reason Hornady and Sierra caution not to use those bullets above 2700 - 2800 fps in fast twist barreled .223s as they will spin apart.

Unbalance bullshops saboted bullet and you will see the effects of RPM at that velocity. Same as I unbalanced M118 bullets for bass ackwards when I ran the test for him. The RPM threshold is real, many here and other cast bullet shooters have run into it for years....ever sind GC'd cast bullets have been in use actually.

Larry Gibson

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast