RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning case lube off cases

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    That is 1000 extra handle pulls for vanity sake.
    I like this quote a lot

Boolit Master
    FWIW, i was reading an old can of dillon case lube this morning and it says right on the can after reloading simply wipe off lube or toss in the tumbler for a few minutes. I would be leary of tumbling loaded ammo in a vibratory tumbler. Anyone ever do this?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    I would be leary of tumbling loaded ammo in a vibratory tumbler. Anyone ever do this?
    Yes, all factory ammo is tumbled before it's packaged. The delivery from factory to store on trucks vibrates it a lot more then a vibratory tumbler will. This is one of those things that I will never understand why people think it's bad.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    FWIW, i was reading an old can of dillon case lube this morning and it says right on the can after reloading simply wipe off lube or toss in the tumbler for a few minutes. I would be leary of tumbling loaded ammo in a vibratory tumbler. Anyone ever do this?
    Being old and retired (also retarded I`ve been told) I have the time to wipe off the Dillon lube after I`ve done the re-size step for each case. This way I know that I`ve got the lube wiped off and not left on to make a problem down the line. A friend brought me 3 boxes of `06 brass he had lubed with RCBS roll pad lube. He then sized the brass. Upon being done sizing he tossed the cases into his vibe tumbler with corncob. When he removed them after an hr. the cases looked like they had been tarred and feathered! The cob stuck to the cases like it was the mother corncob to the grit. I swapped him brass for brass as he was a beginner and learned his lesson about that lube and tumbling. Took me the better part of 2 days to wipe the cases clean with solvent and tumble for 8 hrs. to make them look like cases again. I sent a partial bottle of the Dillion pump lube home with him, he`s been using only this stuff for the 15 years since his learning experience.Robert

You guys clean your brass????
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Man
    An old trick that I learned in the 60's was to wash the brass in what was then "white" gas available from the gas station. Now, the gas is close to Coleman Lantern fuel.

I use a small bucket, cover the brass in the coleman lantern fuel. Swirl the cases around in the fuel for a few minutes. Then using a large funnel, I will drain the gas back in the gas can. Then I put the brass in a large towel, grab both ends of the towel and let the brass gravitate from one end of the towel to the other. Just let the brass lay on the towel for a while and the gas evaporates very quickly.

This also is excellent on pistol ammo where you are using a messy lube on your swagger and need to clean up loaded ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Man, this started a discussion!

I like to get as much of the lube off as I can so it doesn't load up the tumbler media too quickly. I'd rather do that than have to buy media more often.