Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dillon Super Swager isn't so Super after all

In Remembrance

Dillon Super Swager isn't so Super after all

Most of you know I convert brass and I deal with crimped brass all day long. I tried and failed with swagers that would hold up regardless of who made them with my way of doing them. When I got the Dillon the thing really was impressive and frankly made my day. I even got a second 1 so I can keep one for large primers pockets and one for small primer pockets. I guess I found out how much use these things can handle, which for the price leaves me wondering.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dillon 1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	86268

Name:	Dillon 2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	86269

Now before I get folks chiming in telling me I'm the one that put to much stress/pressure on the unit here's how I do things. I get feed back from people that get my brass and ask them questions and have them tell me what they experience when seating the primers, among other questions. This is set to the point it makes them happy and not me so let's not go down that path.

I guess a call to Dillon is in order but......with all the people calling them already I wonder what kind luck I'm going to have getting a replacement. I've never dealt with Dillon directly for a very long time and hope things have changed. I went to there old store many a years ago and point blank told them I don't want to be on any flippin mailing lists, guess what happened?
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Love Life
    All through the shortage Dillon has been Johnny on the spot with support. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Looks like maybe a bad casting issue?

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Looks like maybe a bad casting issue?
    LL I've worked in aero-space for 27yrs and yes it could be a casting issue, but I suspect that the set screw for the spring and detent ball creates a weak spot.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Love Life
    That's the 1st cracked one I've seen. What'd you do to it?

Boolit Master
    It's designed to remove crimps, not deepen pockets.

Boolit Master
    Dillon has always treated me well with no questions asked, even when I was the one that screwed up! They will do right by you.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Vendor Sponsor

They will replace it .. probably without question
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I guess a call to Dillon is in order but......with all the people calling them already I wonder what kind luck I'm going to have getting a replacement.
    I''d say that you can complain about them IF they don't replace it at their expense, but not until then.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

I didn't see a set screw where either of those cracks started. Can you clarify your statement?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I just looked at mine. I don't have a spring/detent on mine. But I can see that all the stress is centered at the point of the failure on yours. Mine has been a good unit but hasn't seen a lot of use as compared. Mine is about a dozen years old, so maybe a design change incorporated a spring/detent.

In Remembrance
    Here take a look:

Name:	Dillon 3.jpg 
Views:	756 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	86373

Both of mine have them.

Annealing Services

Boolit Master
    I had a Dillon swage. I still have an RCBS swage die set. The problem with swaging pp's is that the equipment relies on consistent internal dimensions of the brass. Which it is not. I now ream all my GI brass. RCBS's trimmate reamer is OK but I see they have a new one that will radius the corner. I'll have to give one a try.
    https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C11J037
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

looks like a small crack in the oppisite side from the set screw also. Hope all turns out well.
    CD

Quote Originally Posted by LynC2 View Post
    Dillon has always treated me well with no questions asked, even when I was the one that screwed up! They will do right by you.
    agree fully. Dillon is the BEST with customer service.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    looks like a small crack in the oppisite side from the set screw also. Hope all turns out well.
    CD
    Actually it's a grease streak, I noticed that after I took the picture and it cleaned right up.

Annealing Services

Grumpa, You weren't kidding about how much brass you process were you? I'd never thought I'd see one of those broken!!

Let us know what Dillion says, and if you get off their catalog list.

Boolit Buddy

Grumpa, your Super Swage broke in the same area as mine did this past spring.... My swage was a few years old, got it sometime in the mid 80's if I remember right, but I only put maybe 500K of 223 through it over its lifetime... Call up Dillion tell them what happened and they will replace it at no charge.. Dillion will give you a Return Repair Number to ship it back to them... My total turn around time was 8 days from the time I talked to Gary, packed the Swager up, shipped it out and had a new Super Swage returned to me... And that turn around time was during the height of the "panic buying"
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    Here take a look:

Name:	Dillon 3.jpg 
Views:	756 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	86373

Both of mine have them.
    OK. I see the problem now. Dillon will make it right I'm betting.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I see, mine is mounted so I couldn't see the underside. I think you're right!!

In Remembrance
    Man from all I have ever heard from the dillon guys, I would have thought just the blue powder coat would have kept it from cracking. lol (kidding) Not sure how to do the chain jerking thing. lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast