Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No More Rossi for Me

Boolit Buddy

No More Rossi for Me

Purchased a Rossi 92 back in May. My fault for not inspecting it better before purchase. It had rust and pitting in the barrel. I sent it into Rossi to have the barrel replaced. I received the rifle back in about 3 weeks. They changed the barrel out, but now the magazine tube extended past the barrel about a 1/4 inch. So I took the tube out to inspect it better. Low and behold the dovetail to hold the tube carrier had punch marks all around it. I also noticed someone had ground the carrier to fit. I guess they took too much off and needed to fix their mistake. To me that is just sloppy work. So I sent it back. Now they tell me they are not going to replace the barrel because that is normal wear and tear. If it comes back in the same condition, I am done with Rossi. I highly suggest that anyone thinking of purchasing one give it a thorough inspection, cause if you send it back to them for repairs, there is no telling what you will get.

Boolit Master

That to bad I've heard a lot of good things about them.
    How about pictures when it gets back. I've been looking at Rossi for a 38/.357 rifle.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
    That to bad I've heard a lot of good things about them.
    How about pictures when it gets back. I've been looking at Rossi for a 38/.357 rifle.

This.

I have one 38/357 ,and it is great over 500s round we not 1 problems .. It is a bit hard to clean ,but it shots very well using my reloads .38 105Gr 3.8 Bullseye it do very well at 100 Yards Shooting my ar500 steel gong
    Hope you get if back on a better shape.

Boolit Master

Was looking to get a rifle in 38/357 and after inspecting 5 NIB Rossi's in the store walked out disgusted. Actions felt like they were full of sand, edges were sharp enough to cut you cleaning and some glass blasting beads were trapped between the barrel and magazine tube. Weak to no quality control is too obvious. Even the worst new RemLins I have handled were much better than these rifles.

Boolit Man
    You have a better chance of getting a good mold from LEE than you do getting
    a good gun from Rossi.

Boolit Buddy

I will let you know how it is when I get it back. Oh, they also told me that they had to order a new magazine tube from the factory and that did that in September. It will take 6-8 weeks to come in. I sent the rifle to them back in July. Glad I have a back-up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
    a good gun from Rossi.
    That ain't sayin' much.

In Remembrance
    It has been years since I have bought a new firearm of any kind, and don't see any in the future, that I can't live without, but I have read about horor stories as well as great stories, from dealing with new products and services from pretty much every manufacturer we have.

The only thing that I have concluded is that I would never pay new cost for any firearm from any currant manufacturer without a hands on deal. But then I have always been that way, and the only gun I ever ordered was a muzzle loader from cabellas, just because I couldn't find a left hand one. The lock didn't even function when I received it, but instead of sending it back I fixed it myself, and have had no other complaints with it.

I have to take that back, I have never heard any complaints from anyone that had to deal with Henry with a problem. There probably has been a bad experience or two, but I haven't seen any. And no I don't own any. lol

Banned

I've sold quite a few of the Rossi 38/357's the guys would send them out to get the actions "slicked up". After that they were sweet operating carbines.
    I will not order them now to expensive.

I can't see sending a used firearm back for a factory rep to work on it. A local gun smith should have been able to fit a new barrel.

Banned

it ain't rossi it's Taurus they own them.
    many of the guns feel super rough from the box and you need to tear them down and clean them.
    you are also the final inspector of the gun, look closely at them and don't be afraid to walk away and go look at others somewhere else.
    you could alway's go buy a new Winchester for 1400.00

Boolit Master

I must be an exception. I have purchased two rossi 92's (latest this Tuesday) and I am 100% satisfied. I first do a complete disassembly of the action and use a diamond hone to relieve the sharp edges and completely blow out the receiver with brake cleaner. I use Steve's mods to the loading gate and his spring kits as well as the magazine follower. Put her back together and she is as smooth as silk. A little TLC up front and its a great shooter. BTW, my last 92 was in 44-40 SS and 24" Octagonal barrel. Best part was it cost $399 from CDNN on sale.

Boolit Master
    It is about 50/50 with Rossi out of the box. Also, they wont sell you most of the parts. I have been waiting since April for a screw I broke. Still on back order.

They will slick up nice but no more for me either.

Boolit Grand Master

If they are like a lot of companies they don't do their own repaies they shop it out to be done and some shops are better than others. The folks who were doing EMF repairs were about like this too. It's too bad you got a lemon first shot out of the box but it sometimes happens. I have had pretty good luck with the R92's and havent had to send one back yet. They do need tuning from the box though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I must be an exception. I have purchased two rossi 92's (latest this Tuesday) and I am 100% satisfied. I first do a complete disassembly of the action and use a diamond hone to relieve the sharp edges and completely blow out the receiver with brake cleaner. I use Steve's mods to the loading gate and his spring kits as well as the magazine follower. Put her back together and she is as smooth as silk. A little TLC up front and its a great shooter. BTW, my last 92 was in 44-40 SS and 24" Octagonal barrel. Best part was it cost $399 from CDNN on sale.
    So you did the what, $500 worth of finishing work?

I think I'd give Henry a try first...

Still, the prices on leverguns has gone nuts-you'd think you were buying a Gatling Gun instead of a lever action!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
    a good gun from Rossi.
    I guess I better order a Rossi while my luck's holding.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I own 3 Rossi Rifles, 2 - 92 and a Rio Grande. The RG is 45-70 with the 92 a 45 Colt and the newest one a 454 Casull. The 45 Colt had a feeding problem right out of the box and got it sent back and returned in 7 business days fixed. It has now had close to 7000 rounds through it from black powder to Lil'Gun. The RG was flawless out of the box and the 454 is also. Now I would never buy one sight unseen regardless of the manufacturer.

Now in all honesty the Rossi is a great gun especially in its price range, but they often need a bit of buff and shine to really work perfectly. My advise is to pick up Steve Gunz DVD or some other instructions on how to break them down. The need to be completely cleaned before ever shooting it, if NIB. Never had a rust problem with any of them at all.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    A now deceased friend had a R92 in .44 mag.

I shot it ........ liked it very much!

I asked him how they were ........ he, a collector and shooter of a LOT of weapons ... said, that they were a better copy of a Winchester than a Winchester was ........

Current problems probably have more to do with the RUSH to get firearms out on the sales racks and also falling victim to the Big Box stores forcing ever cheaper prices.

We ALL like bargains .......... but there is a LIMIT!

As we "race to the bottom" whether it be cheaper gun safes ...... or guns ........... sooner or later, we are going to get bit on the $%!

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post

Still, the prices on leverguns has gone nuts-you'd think you were buying a Gatling Gun instead of a lever action!

Not sure what you're talking about? I thought I explained myself clearly. I'll say it slooooowly to help you understand. I did the "work" myself. I bought a spring and a magazine follower from Steve's Gunz ( less than $30 shipped). Total investment : $475 . That's a SS lever gun with a 24" Octagonal barrel that is now as slick as my Browning BL22. Now, a Henry would have been my first choice, but if I could have afforded one of those, I wouldn't be casting Lead bullets or shooting reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I guess I better order a Rossi while my luck's holding.
    LOL! Me too! I better buy a set!
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post

Cowboy Action Shooting is to blame. Cowboy shooting has become quite an event. Not everyone can afford a Winchester in 44-40 or 45Colt so Rossi has become an economical substitute. Demand goes up, price goes up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast