RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using concrete as backstop for casted bullets?

Boolit Bub

Using concrete as backstop for casted bullets?

Basically have a new place to shoot but the backstop is exposed concrete drain pipes.

If shooting casted 9mm bullets or handgun bullets is there a chance of a ricochet?

Banned

are these drain pipes in use?
    if so they won't be draining much for too long, except all over your range.

the boolits will most likely slide along the curved surface.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    are these drain pipes in use?
    if so they won't be draining much for too long, except all over your range.

the boolits will most likely slide along the curved surface.
    No they are just stacked up on the property.

Behind them is a lake about 1000yds long, behind that is woods then ~1 mile to a major road.

Boolit Grand Master
    Concrete doesn't hold up for long to bullet impacts unless it is very, very thick. You also won't be recovering much lead, the bullets will tend to go to pieces.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Concrete doesn't hold up for long to bullet impacts unless it is very, very thick. You also won't be recovering much lead, the bullets will tend to go to pieces.
    Its either that or the public range where I get nothing.

This isn't property I own so building on it probably isn't an option(dont want to ask). Mostly worried about ricochets.

What is the risk vs a jacketed bullet? I shoot pistol competitions and catch one from steel from time to time if thats as bad as it can get then I'm not worried.

Boolit Grand Master
    It won't be that bad but in time the concrete will fracture and you will have holes thru it.

Is stacking hay bales in front of it a viable option? Slows down bullets, easy to stack, and it would cut down on ricochets.

If the property owner has plans for that pipe, I would think again about destroying it. If it is scrap, have at it.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

bhn22
    How close would you be to these drain pipes? This doesn't sound wise at all.

Boolit Master

Good advice so far. A baffle of some sort above the pipe to slow down rounds that glance off the top and using 4x4 x8 posts on the pipes (lay them in the same direction as the pipes) may also prolong the usefulness of the backstop and increase your lead recovery. Just my $0.02

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Master
    Why do you think you have the right to destroy someone else's drain pipes? I think your biggest risk would be your neighbor having the sheriff arrest you for destroying his pipe.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Depending on the size of the pipe, they could end up costing you $1000 each.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    If the property owner has plans for that pipe, I would think again about destroying it. If it is scrap, have at it.

Slim
    It's scrap.. Per the landowner

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Why do you think you have the right to destroy someone else's drain pipes? I think your biggest risk would be your neighbor having the sheriff arrest you for destroying his pipe.
    Why assume I am just blasting away at someones pipes without permission and how did you conjure up a neighbor?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    How close would you be to these drain pipes? This doesn't sound wise at all.
    As close or as far away as I need to be but lets say 10-50yds.

My backstop in a pile of old truck tires off of my pickup. I havr tem stacked about 6 high and 4 deep. Easy lead recovery as the tires allow access inside my backstop (they are not filled with anything) and i havnt had anything shoot through it, and when i do, ill add more tires to the back or front.

Boolit Master

Well, he says he has a new place to shoot, on someone else's land. I presume he has permission to be there, and hopefully he would have discussed with the owner his intention to go shooting. If there is an agreement between them, and the owner knows he will be shooting at the concrete pipes, then there is no trouble. To prolong the life of the backstop, you might consider bringing earth fill in and filling them. That would be a slow job, but, enough fill for one pipe each time you come out would get the job done. But, make sure the landowner is fully aware of your intentions, and make sure the the pipes are disposable. Happy Shooting!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Get ya a 55 gallon plastic drum, fill it with dirt, it will last a fair amount of time.
    When it is shot to pieces, mine the dirt for your lead.
    Then start over.
    Last edited by RED333; 11-03-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Because I can
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    You have almost been named a criminal!!!!!!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by wb_carpenter View Post
    It's scrap.. Per the landowner

Why assume I am just blasting away at someones pipes without permission and how did you conjure up a neighbor?

As close or as far away as I need to be but lets say 10-50yds.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    My backstop in a pile of old truck tires off of my pickup. I havr tem stacked about 6 high and 4 deep. Easy lead recovery as the tires allow access inside my backstop (they are not filled with anything) and i havnt had anything shoot through it, and when i do, ill add more tires to the back or front.
    I like this idea. The road to his spot has a few big tires and I could stack a few around the concrete pipes.

I'll talk it over with him.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    If you are shooting at the convex side of the pipe I wouldn't worry much about stuff coming back at you but it may ricochet off in other directions. But if the pipes are broken and a concave side is facing you it might turn the bullet around and send it back at you without slowing down much. It would be best to have something to absorb the energy rather than deflect it.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    If you are shooting at the convex side of the pipe I wouldn't worry much about stuff coming back at you but it may ricochet off in other directions. But if the pipes are broken and a concave side is facing you it might turn the bullet around and send it back at you without slowing down much. It would be best to have something to absorb the energy rather than deflect it.
    I had forgot about this.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Moderator Emeritus

Barrel of sand is a great idea !!!

I would worry about random errant ricochet when shooting at concrete, but the barrel of sand will solve all of that, unless you have a wild flier. recovering your boolits is a BIG plus too.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast