RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The new sign for the edge of my driveway...

Boolit Buddy
    Use to live in a National forest on a mining claim. They run a Marathon of city folks down the road once a year. One year someone (no it wasn't me,but maybe my kid ) changed the sign direction , ran the lot up a dead end road. To prevent that some genius spray painted a 800# boulder orange and then put an arrow on it. After two weeks I got tired of looking at it and spray painted it gray. They hadn't run the Marathon yet. I did not know that. and when they did the city folks was lost again. Newspaper ran an article that police were looking for leads in the great boulder thief. There's city thinking for you. Cause I man chooses to live in the open space doesn't give people a right to speed,hit and run and cause mayhem .Man should act decent wherever he is.

Boolit Master
    Contender is right about his deed running to the middle of the road. What he didn't say is the local agency has an easement for a road on his property. Without a permit from the local road agency his speed bump is illegal. Your local government controls the road and you can't modify it without a permit. The fact that the Chief of Police didn't know this just proves that you shouldn't go to the police for legal advice. If some one or their property is injured by Contender's unauthorized speed bump he may have serious legal and financial problems. However if he can get the city/county to authorize the speed bump and build it to ASHTO standards he is home free. Most people are underlying fee owner of roadways to the middle of the street. You just can't do anything that interferes with the road without a permit.

Boolit Buddy

From Florida originally, but these days it's wherever my RV is parked
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    Jake, I'm going to be straight forward and blunt--GO READ previous posts before you open your mouth again.
    Unlike many people, I read all the previous posts so that I'm not repeating something that has already been said. I stand by my comments.
    Home is where the RV is...

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kind of ironic, don't ya' think?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    So a child must die before it is an issue? Being proactive will prevent a tragedy, today a dog tomorrow maybe your child.

If the speed limit is incorrect let the speeder get it changed while obeying the law until he succeeds. You should obey the law because it is the LAW no matter if you agree with it or not. What do you feel about politicians ignoring the plain language of the second amendment just because they don't agree with it? If you don't like the law as written work to change it but obey it as long as it is the law.
    So, the law is always right? As far as I'm concerned, that is total BS. Maybe that sort of thinking is a Yankee thing. If they created a law that outlawed your particular religion, would you follow it? There is "legal" and there is "moral" -- unfortunately they don't intersect often enough these days.

With respect to the 2nd Amendment, how much do you believe in it with respect to the intentions of the Founding Fathers?

Are you a TRUE CONSERVATIVE?

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by JakeBlanton View Post
    Unlike many people, I read all the previous posts so that I'm not repeating something that has already been said. I stand by my comments.
    That's nice--I guess you missed this part from the first post, or do I need to pull county records of all the speed complaints on this road that have increased dramatically over the last couple years? Since you haven't the faintest grasp what's been going on here, I'll sum it up quickly. Since the housing market crashed, this area had pretty cheap land. Quite a few people snatched it up, put a trailer house on it, and decided to ride things out. Since the economy crashed, most of them have moved to areas with more job availability. Since selling isn't happening, there are a lot renting for dirt-cheap. Well, you can imagine dirt-cheap rent has attracted a few from town who like the fact LE is rarely seen. Now, who might one think are the local racers are primarily? Starting to figure it out?

I haven't used the ignore function in a long time--but now I think it's due.
    Last edited by Rangefinder; 11-03-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Guns have only two real enemies; Rust and Politicians...

"Praying might get you to heaven, but trespassing will expedite the journey..."

Where might I be found when I'm not here? Try looking here:http://www.facebook.com/NSWE.Pagosa and here: www.rescueropes.org

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    That's nice--while you're at it, go stand by it elsewhere. Thanks.

I haven't used the ignore function in a long time--but now I think it's due.
    Fine! You want to bring up the issue of kids possibly being hit, but you have provided no evidence that this is an issue. Plenty of kids walk to school or to the bus stops along roads with speed limits higher than you are claiming that the people are driving and they do it without any problems. I've seen school bus stops along farm roads that had 65-70 mph speed limits when I was driving through rural areas down South. In fact, your local kids seem to be able to handle this without a problem (otherwise, I'm sure you would have mentioned it). You are upset because your dog was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be and unfortunately paid the price for it. You are wanting to blame someone else for it other than the person who allowed the dog to leave his property. Your dog could have been hit just as easily if the person was driving the speed limit.

Boolit Master
    Including this one you made in post #55 "I have found that the animals that are most deserving to be hit are also the ones that are the most difficult to hit -- cats and squirrels are pretty fast."?????
    Really??
    I hope you're proud of yourself.
    I find it cold, callous and shameful.

Rangefinder, I hope your dog recovers fully, it's sad and shows the true intention that they didn't even have the decency to stop when the did hit your dog.

Boolit Master
    Rangefinder, I also hope your dog has a fast recovery.

It's never any good when one of your family members is hurt.

Boolit Master
    Duckiller,, where I'm at,, it is a small town, and a town MAINTAINED road. That is the ONLY rights they had. It was in a private area, and we had given the town permission to maintain it only. In fact, the section/area all close to my house was paved,, while the rest of the 1.2 mile circle was dirt. We, (those of us in a small section, about 500 ft of road,) had paid a private contractor to pave our portion. There were only 5 of us who owned property there.
    So, we were legal in my installation of a speed bump. I had double checked things with an attorney prior to working on this issue. I had even pointed out to the chief of police that if he wished, he could research the town records to see where we (the property owners) had gotten permission to post the speed limit on that road at an open town meeting well over 10 years before my issues.
    Basically, that road is a private road, where the town wanted to use it to access some other property. As the property owners knew to NOT give up any rights, we only allowed a maintenance easement to the town. We later got the permission to post the speed limit as long as we allowed the PD to patrol it.

In a separate case, on another piece of property we own, the state highway dept got a maintenance ONLY right of way from us. We specified how far off the center line they were allowed to mow, cut, clean etc. It is in our deed. When a contractor hired to mow & cut trees back went too far & destroyed a pear tree in front of a house we owned,, we filed a complaint. When the state inspector arrived, he was politely confronted with a copy of our deed.
    The state paid to have 3 new pear trees planted, all well established & agreed to be maintained by an arborist for 3 years. They now have a different contractor to mow & trim the area.

My point is this;
    Obey the law and make sure it is on your side. Document, and use facts. You can make changes happen.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    Including this one you made in post #55 "I have found that the animals that are most deserving to be hit are also the ones that are the most difficult to hit -- cats and squirrels are pretty fast."?????
    Really??
    I hope you're proud of yourself.
    I find it cold, callous and shameful.
    Yep, even that one. Apparently you've never had $1000 worth of repairs done because some damn squirrel decided that the wiring on your vehicle was tasty. You've also probably never had the paint job ruined on your car because some cat-lady neighbor decided that their yard wasn't good enough for their cat's excrement and let the cat run loose in the neighborhood, climbing on people's cars and scratching up their paint job. They're both pests as far as I'm concerned and if one is stupid enough to get under the wheel of my vehicle, I will not try to avoid it.

Yeah, I'm cold and callous -- it's a prerequisite for being a curmudgeon.

Lets be a little sympathetic to this fella during his bereavement guys.

Boolit Master
    Contender yes you have speed bump rights on a private road. I didn't want anyone putting a speed bump on a public road without permission.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, even that one. Apparently you've never had $1000 worth of repairs done because some damn squirrel decided that the wiring on your vehicle was tasty. You've also probably never had the paint job ruined on your car because some cat-lady neighbor decided that their yard wasn't good enough for their cat's excrement and let the cat run loose in the neighborhood, climbing on people's cars and scratching up their paint job. They're both pests as far as I'm concerned and if one is stupid enough to get under the wheel of my vehicle, I will not try to avoid it.

Yeah, I'm cold and callous -- it's a prerequisite for being a curmudgeon.
    an irritable and complaining person <only a curmudgeon would object to the nursing home's holiday decorations>
    Synonyms bear, bellyacher, complainer, crab, crank, croaker, crosspatch, curmudgeon, fusser, griper, grouser, growler, grumbler, grump, murmurer, mutterer, sourpuss, whiner
    Related Words hunks; malcontent, sorehead; grinch, killjoy, party pooper, spoilsport; defeatist, pessimist; faultfinder, kicker, nagger, nitpicker, objector, quibbler, repiner; crock [slang], hypochondriac
    Jake, I'm worried about you, have you looked to Jesus?

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    So, the law is always right?
    Are you a TRUE CONSERVATIVE?
    No the law is not always right but it is always the law until it is changed. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Yes I am a true conservative but I won't try to carry a firearm on a plane until the law is changed. I am actively working hard to get some of the more egregious ones changed in my state.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'll have to sort through the infraction files, but I think I see a candidate for one in this thread.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by unclogum bill View Post
    an irritable and complaining person <only a curmudgeon would object to the nursing home's holiday decorations>
    Synonyms bear, bellyacher, complainer, crab, crank, croaker, crosspatch, curmudgeon, fusser, griper, grouser, growler, grumbler, grump, murmurer, mutterer, sourpuss, whiner
    Related Words hunks; malcontent, sorehead; grinch, killjoy, party pooper, spoilsport; defeatist, pessimist; faultfinder, kicker, nagger, nitpicker, objector, quibbler, repiner; crock [slang], hypochondriac
    You forgot "grumpy old man". I've worked a long time becoming this way, suffered a lot of pain in the process, and I'm going to enjoy it for however much time I have left. I figure at best, I only have 20 more years to enjoy this (and that's probably even stretching it).

Boolit Master
    +1 Duckiller!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by unclogum bill View Post
    Did you google my name, or did you talk to my wife?
    It's hard to keep up such a reputation.

Boolit Master

Rangefinder; how's the dog doing today? Hope all is well.

Boolit Master

I wonder how a speed bump followed by a dip in the road of say around a foot and maybe 4 inches deep would affect the traffic flow.
    Yea I used to do a lot of road work and have to deal with the traveling public not paying attention to signs in the construction zone. Remember in most states they are not public roads if under construction even if you can still drive there.

Oh well there will be days and then there will be other days

hope the dog is doing well and getting better and that you find a nice way to slow the traffic down

wake up strips are nice too as they make such a sound when you drive over them.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran