Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sr-71 story

Boolit Master

Sr-71 story

I sniped this off another forum, not sure if its true or not, good read regardless.

I have had the honor of conversing with a former "Sled Driver" on another forum.
    His stories are legendary.
    Here is a repost of one (declassified) of a fellow pilot, Brian Schul that appeared in "Flying" magazine.

There were a lot of things we couldn't do in an SR-71, but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact.

People often asked us if, because of this fact, it was fun to fly the jet. Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane. Intense, maybe. Even cerebral. But there was one day in our Sled experience when we would have to say that it was pure fun to be the fastest guys out there, at least for a moment.

It occurred when Walt and I were flying our final training sortie. We needed 100 hours in the jet to complete our training and attain Mission Ready status. Somewhere over Colorado we had passed the century mark. We had made the turn in Arizona and the jet was performing flawlessly. My gauges were wired in the front seat and we were starting to feel pretty good about ourselves, not only because we would soon be flying real missions but because we had gained a great deal of confidence in the plan in the past ten months. Ripping across the barren deserts 80,000 feet below us, I could already see the coast of California from the Arizona border. I was, finally, after many humbling months of simulators and study, ahead of the jet.

I was beginning to feel a bit sorry for Walter in the back seat. There he was, with no really good view of the incredible sights before us, tasked with monitoring four different radios. This was good practice for him for when we began flying real missions, when a priority transmission from headquarters could be vital. It had been difficult, too, for me to relinquish control of the radios, as during my entire flying career I had controlled my own transmissions. But it was part of the division of duties in this plane and I had adjusted to it. I still insisted on talking on the radio while we were on the ground, however. Walt was so good at many things, but he couldn't match my expertise at sounding smooth on the radios, a skill that had been honed sharply with years in fighter squadrons where the slightest radio miscue was grounds for beheading. He understood that and allowed me that luxury. Just to get a sense of what Walt had to contend with, I pulled the radio toggle switches and monitored the frequencies along with him. The predominant radio chatter was from Los Angeles Center, far below us, controlling daily traffic in their sector. While they had us on their scope (albeit briefly), we were in uncontrolled airspace and normally would not talk to them unless we needed to descend into their airspace.

We listened as the shaky voice of a lone Cessna pilot asked Center for a readout of his ground speed. Center replied:

November Charlie 175, I'm showing you at ninety knots on the ground.

Now the thing to understand about Center controllers, was that whether they were talking to a rookie pilot in a Cessna, or to Air Force One, they always spoke in the exact same, calm, deep, professional, tone that made one feel important. I referred to it as the " Houston Center voice." I have always felt that after years of seeing documentaries on this country's space program and listening to the calm and distinct voice of the Houston controllers, that all other controllers since then wanted to sound like that. and that they basically did. And it didn't matter what sector of the country we would be flying in, it always seemed like the same guy was talking. Over the years that tone of voice had become somewhat of a comforting sound to pilots everywhere. Conversely, over the years, pilots always wanted to ensure that, when transmitting, they sounded like Chuck Yeager, or at least like John Wayne. Better to die than sound bad on the radios.

Just moments after the Cessna's inquiry, a Twin Beech piped up on frequency, in a rather superior tone, asking for his groundspeed. in Beach.

I have you at one hundred and twenty-five knots of ground speed.

Boy, I thought, the Beechcraft really must think he is dazzling his Cessna brethren.

Then out of the blue, a navy F-18 pilot out of NAS Lemoore came up on frequency. You knew right away it was a Navy jock because he sounded very cool on the radios.

Center, Dusty 52 ground speed check

Before Center could reply, I'm thinking to myself, hey, Dusty 52 has a ground speed indicator in that million-dollar cockpit, so why is he asking Center for a readout? Then I got it, ol' Dusty here is making sure that every bug smasher from Mount Whitney to the Mojave knows what true speed is. He's the fastest dude in the valley today, and he just wants everyone to know how much fun he is having in his new Hornet.

And the reply, always with that same, calm, voice, with more distinct alliteration than emotion:

Dusty 52, Center, we have you at 620 on the ground.

And I thought to myself, is this a ripe situation, or what? As my hand instinctively reached for the mic button, I had to remind myself that Walt was in control of the radios. Still, I thought, it must be done - in mere seconds we'll be out of the sector and the opportunity will be lost. That Hornet must die, and die now.

I thought about all of our Sim training and how important it was that we developed well as a crew and knew that to jump in on the radios now would destroy the integrity of all that we had worked toward becoming. I was torn. Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet.

Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke:

Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?

There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request.

Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice:

Ah, Center, much thanks,

We're showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.

For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A.came back with,

Roger that Aspen,

Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours.

You boys have a good one.

It all had lasted for just moments, but in that short, memorable sprint across the southwest, the Navy had been flamed, all mortal airplanes on freq were forced to bow before the King of Speed, and more importantly, Walter and I had crossed the threshold of being a crew. A fine day's work.

We never heard another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast. For just one day, it truly was fun being the fastest guys out there.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Buddy

Sr-71

Habu is still a magnificent creature!
    Jeff

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Very subtle way of strutting their stuff!

Good one.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Great story ! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    I admire and respect what you did for our country. With that, as I read your story I cannot help but wonder about the look on the Navy pilot's face as your transmission was heard by all.

Moderator Emeritus
    I spent three weeks at Beale AFB in California, the home of the SR-71, and they were truly impressive planes! I got to walk around them, take pictures, touch them, and fly the simulator.

It is absolutely amazing to me that they were developed 40+ years ago without the aid of computers!

John

Boolit Grand Master
    Great story.

When the space shuttle returned the other day, one of the possible re-entry paths was directly over my home town. As it turned out, they didn't use that path, but it didn't matter as it was too cloudy to see it. However, the newspaper article said it would be traveling at 6800 MPH at 120K feet.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard57 View Post
    Habu is still a magnificent creature!
    Jeff
    The only place I heard them refered to as the Habu was on Okinawa in the early 70's.

We got pictures of one coming in for a landing at Kadena - NIS was all over us when we turned the film in for development! Never did get the film back either!

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Cast Boolits Owner

Beauty of Flight

Beauty comes in many different forms. Flying one of those must have been icing on the cake for the lucky few who had a chance. When I was a kid I dreamed of being an astronaut and sometimes in the fog of the waking morning I realize that dream has visited in the night and left me once again.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armexman View Post
    I admire and respect what you did for our country. With that, as I read your story I cannot help but wonder about the look on the Navy pilot's face as your transmission was heard by all.

The pilot was Brian Schul, his RIO was a guy named Walt.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Grand Master
    I was hom on lave when the Air Force flew the SR-71 from California to Washington D.C. to go in the Smithsonion exhibit. This was suposedly the only time one flew all out across CONUS. The news announcer stated that it took 8 minutes to cross Missouri.

Impressive.

Robert

Boolit Buddy

Sr-71

The only place I heard them refered to as the Habu was on Okinawa in the early 70's.
    Habu was a pretty well known nick name in Air Force circles, I believe there was a Habu(snake) painted on the tails of the Blackbirds flying out of Okinawa.

I remember one day working on the flight line at George AFB which was in Victorville, CA (Southern CA.) an In Flight Emergency came across the radio involving an SR-71. The aircraft was over Texas when they called in the emergency and they ended up landing at our base. Not bad, only three or four states to be able to land.
    Jeff
    Last edited by Mallard57; 11-10-2007 at 12:42 AM.

Great story!
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master
    It's almost hard to call those things a "plane".....almost a simi-spaceship.

Smile

When NASA retired their SR-71 to the Space Museum in Huntsville, Alabama, I'd taken my family down there for my son's birthday (and Spring Break), I saw that thing sitting in a bus parking space out front by the curb, with no ropes or barriers, nothing calling attention to it except its own presence. The crowds went right by it without anyone but us paying attention to it. We hung around that plane for a while, giving it a good close ground level walk around inspection. Just being able to reach up and put hands on that thing was awesome to me!
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1210...57782051QbDsxx

When I was in the Air Force back in the early 60's, they were known as a YF12-A. My daughter worked at the SAC museum while working on her Masters in Museum Studies just outside of Lincoln Nebraska a few years back. They have one inside mounted on concrete pedestals. Very impressive when you can get a close up look at one in a simulated flying mode...Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Wife was stationed at Mather AFB in Sacramento around the time they decommissiioned the SR-71. Every night one would come into the base and do an approach. We would ride our bikes out to a picnic area where you could see the runway and watch. Always listened to the scanner for call sign Aspen, knew one was nearby.

Talked to an SR-71 pilot at the O club, he told the story of a new controller who received a call from Aspen 32 requesting FL 100 (fligh level 100 or 100,000 feet altitude). The controller laughed and said "Aspen 32 cleared to FL 100 if you can get there."

The pilot replied "Aspen 32 descending to FL 100."

Smile

They never publicly acknowledged anything over 80,000 feet as far as I know.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Buddy

The YF-12 was the fighter version of the SR-71. Seems the AF wanted a fighter with high altitude performance, etc. The YF-12 was just a bit ridiculous as there wasn't anything up there to shoot! If it came down to the altitude where the bad guys were, then the performance envelope of the "normal" fighters was superior and the YF-12 was in serious trouble. Look down - shoot down was not really available at that time, so there was no way to arm the beast. I believe there were three of the YF-12's made before the program was abandoned. Amazing airplane. I heard a story of one that had a flame out over Hawaii. He coasted to California (Wright I think) and landed dead stick. I have a hard time imagining something that high and fast that can coast for 2000 miles or so. Incredible. Pilgrim

Boolit Master
    I believe I read the SR-71 flew faster than the boolits it fired. That would have made for an interesting dog fight.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast